New Kona Cross Country

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Meyek, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. Meyek

    Meyek Guest

    I'm still deciding on which Kona cross country go get out of the 2003 series, the Caldera looks
    great for the price but I know I'm changing the clip-on pedals (just a personal thing) and maybe the
    stem because I've heard that it's weak. I'd just like to know what to watch out for with the bikes,
    are any parts prone to easily braking, which I should I know about?

    Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    MeYeK thoughtfully penned: are any parts prone to easily braking, which I
    > should I know about?

    the brakes?

  3. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "MeYeK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm still deciding on which Kona cross country go get out of the 2003 series, the Caldera looks
    > great for the price but I know I'm changing the clip-on pedals (just a personal thing) and maybe
    > the stem because I've heard that it's weak. I'd just like to know what to watch out for with the
    > bikes, are any parts prone to easily braking, which I should I know about?
    >

    > Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

    Find a component that claims to be super strong and super light, and sooner or later you'll
    still find someone who can or has broken it. The best thing to do is, just get the bike if you
    like it, and ride
    it. When/if something breaks, replace it with something better. I've got a 2002 Giant Rainier that
    I've heard people comment about the factory Giant cranks being crappy , and the paint job being
    shoddy. With the wet and muddy spring/so called summer we are having, that bike has been so
    plastered with mud you couldn't even tell it had a front derailer the other night. Even so,
    nothing has failed component wise, and when washed off, the paint job is good as new.

  4. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MeYeK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm still deciding on which Kona cross country go get out of the 2003 series, the Caldera looks
    > great for the price but I know I'm changing the clip-on pedals (just a personal thing) and maybe
    > the stem because I've heard that it's weak. I'd just like to know what to watch out for with the
    > bikes, are any parts prone to easily braking, which I should I know about?
    >

    > Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

    Getting hung up on on brand names is foolish. Not only do you end up sounding like a broken record,
    you end up sounding like an idiotic broken record.

    JD

  5. R.White

    R.White Guest

    > "MeYeK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm still deciding on which Kona cross country go get out of the 2003 series, the Caldera looks
    > > great for the price but I know I'm changing the clip-on pedals (just a personal thing) and maybe
    > > the stem because I've heard that it's weak. I'd just like to know what to watch out for with the
    > > bikes, are any parts prone to easily braking, which I should I know about?
    > >

    > > Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated.
    >
    > Getting hung up on on brand names is foolish. Not only do you end up sounding like a broken
    > record, you end up sounding like an idiotic broken record.

    Or in JD's case, just an idiot.