New Laws In Ontario

BikeBikeBikeBike

May 19, 2015
Ontario just amended it's highway traffic act to include the following:
Fines for using a mobile device are up to $300-$1000
Drivers must wait until a pedestrian fully crosses the crosswalk to proceed.
Sure that's fine and dandy, but here's the ones this forum really cares about:
Fines for opening a door into the path of a cyclist will increase to the same amounts as for distracted driving.
Motorists must leave a one metre (that's about a yard for you stuck in the past yanks) distance when passing bicycles.
Cyclists will be allowed to use the paved shoulders on non-400 series provincial highways.

Here's my source:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/distracted-driving-penalties-increase-under-new-ontario-law-1.3096785

Reactions: haleylx4
I think its great that they are changing the laws to accommodate cyclists, there are so many in Toronto that I think it was absolutely necessary.

I think most of us know what a meter is. Lol

I'm glad someone is noting the issue of passing cyclists. Many times I have been passes way too close. I know the driver was probably paying close attention and knew what they were doing, but it's still really unnerving.

That's awesome! If only they started ramping up the laws here in the US. You would be able to travel much more better as you would feel safer thanks to those new laws.

It's about time. I've seen too many avoidable wipeouts in Ottawa. I just finished posting in anoter thread about how I'd never bike downtown for this reason. Hopefuly people will catch on soon and it won't be like texting and driving where it took years to be fully implemented.