General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

New LC'er here - Hi!

Started by OnlyMe · · Last activity · 4 posts · 337 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
9 August 2004
Last activity
10 August 2004
Original author
OnlyMe
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
337
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well - I thought I would give the LC diet a go. I was 14st 10lbs (206lbs)
    and need to be 11st (154lbs) to be really happy (with my weight anyway).
    Have set 12st (168lbs) as a target (if only) - that's 2st 10lbs (38lbs) to
    lose.

    It was extremely difficult the first few days because I love bread
    (wholemeal, granary, crusty white, multigrain) and I HATE meat (red meat
    that is - chicken & fish is good).

    Breakfast is hard but today I had bacon with all the fat trimmed off (I HATE
    fat - can't eat it!) with some fried mushrooms (shame I can't eat eggs - the
    smell of them makes me feel sick) - I need to add tomatoes I guess.

    I took a salad to work for lunch; mushrooms, courgette, broccoli and
    cauliflower (small amount) with balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing and a
    dribble of blue cheese on top. With a portion of crumbled cod and another
    of guacamole. Well, it filled me up.

    For tea I had 2 quorn sausages with steamed cabbage (mixed with butter) and
    small amount of steamed broc, cauli and courgette.

    I'm drinking lots of water and several mugs of decaf tea with Splenda and
    small(er) amount of milk. Plus a couple of non-decaf teas at work (must
    take my own tea-bags in!)

    Completely ignored the large tin of chocolate biscuits someone brought in at
    work and resisted the yummy looking chocolate bars another colleague brought
    back from Australia.

    I think you'll agree that I'm not a natural for a LC diet (I don't like red
    meat, can't eat eggs, love bread, pasta, brown rice, breakfast cereal,
    chocolate...)

    ....but I started the LC diet 6 days ago - this morning I had lost 5lbs!
    (38 - 5 = 33) New target = 33lbs to lose!

    Wish me luck and if you have any tips or suggestions that might help me - I
    will be very grateful (already read many of the posts and got a few helpful
    bits of info).

    Hoping you all find the slim person inside you...

    Ric

    PS I can find no mention of Quorn in any Atkins books - do you Americans
    have Quorn? Is it called something else?

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Well - I thought I would give the LC diet a go. I was 14st 10lbs (206lbs)
    and need to be 11st (154lbs) to be really happy (with my weight anyway).
    Have set 12st (168lbs) as a target (if only) - that's 2st 10lbs (38lbs) to
    lose.

    Hi OnlyMe, welcome to the group!

    Quoted message said:

    Breakfast is hard but today I had bacon with all the fat trimmed off (I HATE
    fat - can't eat it!) with some fried mushrooms (shame I can't eat eggs - the
    smell of them makes me feel sick) - I need to add tomatoes I guess.

    You NEED fat if you are low-carbing -- it's a MAJOR part of why low-carbing works
    as well as it does. It doesn't have to be animal fat, though -- you can get fat
    from oils (such as olive oil), avocados and nuts. Go easy on the nuts, though.
    Are you doing Atkins? If so, you'll have to wait until after induction to add
    nuts. If you are trimming the fat off the bacon, I have to wonder why you are
    eating it at ALL, since bacon is MOSTLY fat -- seems almost masochistic (not to
    mention expensive) to cut the fat off of it!

    Quoted message said:

    I'm drinking lots of water and several mugs of decaf tea with Splenda and
    small(er) amount of milk. Plus a couple of non-decaf teas at work (must
    take my own tea-bags in!)

    Milk can be high in carbohydrates, so if you can, try to use cream or half &
    half.

    Quoted message said:

    Completely ignored the large tin of chocolate biscuits someone brought in at
    work and resisted the yummy looking chocolate bars another colleague brought
    back from Australia.

    Good for you!

    Quoted message said:

    I think you'll agree that I'm not a natural for a LC diet (I don't like red
    meat, can't eat eggs, love bread, pasta, brown rice, breakfast cereal,
    chocolate...)

    Can't speak to the meat and egg part (other than to say I'm not much of a meat
    eater, like you, prefer chicken and fish), but most people here are former
    carboholics who LOVED their bread, pasta, etc.

    Quoted message said:

    ...but I started the LC diet 6 days ago - this morning I had lost 5lbs!
    (38 - 5 = 33) New target = 33lbs to lose!

    Good job!

    Quoted message said:

    Wish me luck and if you have any tips or suggestions that might help me - I
    will be very grateful (already read many of the posts and got a few helpful
    bits of info).

    Keep reading and you'll find them! I post a long list of tips once a week (on
    Sundays) -- Google this group for them if you haven't already read them.

    Quoted message said:

    PS I can find no mention of Quorn in any Atkins books - do you Americans
    have Quorn? Is it called something else?

    I'm sure it can be found if one looks hard enough for it (probably can be found
    at health food stores), but I would venture to say that the majority of the
    American population has never even HEARD of it. I gather it's a type of textured
    fungi protein that is often used as a meat substitute in the UK. You'll need to
    know the carb count for your Quorn products in order to know if it fits into your
    low-carb plan.

    --
    Saffire
    205/149/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

  3. "Saffire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]


    says...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Breakfast is hard but today I had bacon with all the fat trimmed off (I


    HATE

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fat - can't eat it!) with some fried mushrooms (shame I can't eat eggs -


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    smell of them makes me feel sick) - I need to add tomatoes I guess.


    If you are trimming the fat off the bacon, I have to wonder why you are
    eating it at ALL, since bacon is MOSTLY fat -- seems almost masochistic


    (not to

    Quoted message said:

    mention expensive) to cut the fat off of it!

    From my understanding, the bacon sold in the UK is quite different from the
    crispy, "streaky" American bacon...it is more like ham slices, so it is
    conceivable that one could cut the fat off and still be left with something!

    S t a c i

  4. Thanks for your reply Saffire :o)

    When I mentioned milk I meant 'semi skimmed' - is that the same as 'half and
    half'? - anyway - I have less of it in my tea than I used to...

    I guess Staci has answered the one about the bacon - it looks like this:
    http://www.broughs.com/acatalog/Back%20Bacon%20pict.jpg

    Quorn sausages, Nutritional Info for 2 sausages:
    kcal: 109
    protein: 14.3g
    carb: 4.5g (0.3g sugar)
    fibre: 3.7g
    Fat: 3.7g (0.6g saturates)
    Sodium: 0.7g

    - making that: 0.8g carb? That's good isn't it? ...and they are delicious!

    I bought the Atkins book several months ago - skimmed it - put it
    somewhere...
    Last week after talking to a friend who isn't overweight but told me he went
    on the diet for a couple of weeks and lost 9lbs - I decided to try it. All
    info has been gathered from the web and various articles but I will find the
    book at the weekend if I have to turn the place upside down!

    Thanks again

    Ric

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -
    "Saffire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]


    says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well - I thought I would give the LC diet a go. I was 14st 10lbs


    (206lbs)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and need to be 11st (154lbs) to be really happy (with my weight anyway).
    Have set 12st (168lbs) as a target (if only) - that's 2st 10lbs (38lbs)


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lose.

    Hi OnlyMe, welcome to the group!

    Quoted message said:

    Breakfast is hard but today I had bacon with all the fat trimmed off (I


    HATE

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fat - can't eat it!) with some fried mushrooms (shame I can't eat eggs -


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    smell of them makes me feel sick) - I need to add tomatoes I guess.

    You NEED fat if you are low-carbing -- it's a MAJOR part of why


    low-carbing works

    Quoted message said:

    as well as it does. It doesn't have to be animal fat, though -- you can


    get fat

    Quoted message said:

    from oils (such as olive oil), avocados and nuts. Go easy on the nuts,


    though.

    Quoted message said:

    Are you doing Atkins? If so, you'll have to wait until after induction to


    add

    Quoted message said:

    nuts. If you are trimming the fat off the bacon, I have to wonder why you


    are

    Quoted message said:

    eating it at ALL, since bacon is MOSTLY fat -- seems almost masochistic


    (not to

    Quoted message said:

    mention expensive) to cut the fat off of it!

    Quoted message said:

    I'm drinking lots of water and several mugs of decaf tea with Splenda


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    small(er) amount of milk. Plus a couple of non-decaf teas at work (must
    take my own tea-bags in!)

    Milk can be high in carbohydrates, so if you can, try to use cream or half


    &

    Quoted message said:

    half.

    Quoted message said:

    Completely ignored the large tin of chocolate biscuits someone brought


    in at

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    work and resisted the yummy looking chocolate bars another colleague


    brought

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    back from Australia.

    Good for you!

    Quoted message said:

    I think you'll agree that I'm not a natural for a LC diet (I don't like


    red

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    meat, can't eat eggs, love bread, pasta, brown rice, breakfast cereal,
    chocolate...)

    Can't speak to the meat and egg part (other than to say I'm not much of a


    meat

    Quoted message said:

    eater, like you, prefer chicken and fish), but most people here are former
    carboholics who LOVED their bread, pasta, etc.

    Quoted message said:

    ...but I started the LC diet 6 days ago - this morning I had lost 5lbs!
    (38 - 5 = 33) New target = 33lbs to lose!

    Good job!

    Quoted message said:

    Wish me luck and if you have any tips or suggestions that might help


    me - I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    will be very grateful (already read many of the posts and got a few


    helpful

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    bits of info).

    Keep reading and you'll find them! I post a long list of tips once a week


    (on

    Quoted message said:

    Sundays) -- Google this group for them if you haven't already read them.

    Quoted message said:

    PS I can find no mention of Quorn in any Atkins books - do you


    Americans

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    have Quorn? Is it called something else?

    I'm sure it can be found if one looks hard enough for it (probably can be


    found

    Quoted message said:

    at health food stores), but I would venture to say that the majority of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    American population has never even HEARD of it. I gather it's a type of


    textured

    Quoted message said:

    fungi protein that is often used as a meat substitute in the UK. You'll


    need to

    Quoted message said:

    know the carb count for your Quorn products in order to know if it fits


    into your

    Quoted message said:

    low-carb plan.

    --
    Saffire
    205/149/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.