New life for old frame

~ Q ~

Guest
I got my bike back from some serious upgrading yesterday. The Claud
Butler 531 frame is now 30yrs old & originally had 126mm dropouts. It's
been re-sprayed twice, had a new bottom bracket shell, cantilever & rear
carrier bosses brazed on & now a 135mm XT rear hub - up from my
irreplaceable 130mm screw-on 7sp Sachs sprocket.

The old Ultegra 38/50 chainset has been replaced by a splined 30/42/52
Ultegra with a 9sp 11-21 block & new Ultegra front mech. The new rotary
shifters seem to work perfectly (the drops went long ago - not
neck-friendly after 30yrs). The chainline is spot on (even if there's
only a 0.8mm gap between inner & chainstay, the Q factor is the same as
the double was. When the Shimano chain wears out - back to Sachs!

This little project cost me ~£360, including new rear wheel. I hummed &
ha'd over spending so much on such an old bike due to potential
compatibility issues but am pleased everything works so well & was worth
it. Thank you Freewheel in Reading :) Had Scram continued with the Sachs
screw-on blocks, the damage would have been for that, a new chain &
rings - ouch! A triple & close ratio block works rather nicely. Now for
my MTB; new wheels, new headset, new XT chainset/BB combo, new...
--
The map is not the territory

On Wed, 26 May 2004 22:17:54 +0100, "~ Q ~" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <[email protected]>:

>This little project cost me ~£360, including new rear wheel. I hummed &
>ha'd over spending so much on such an old bike due to potential
>compatibility issues but am pleased everything works so well & was worth
>it. Thank you Freewheel in Reading :)

I bet Bob Bristow would have done it for less ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 2004 22:17:54 +0100, "~ Q ~" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message <[email protected]>:
>
> >This little project cost me ~£360, including new rear wheel. I hummed &
> >ha'd over spending so much on such an old bike due to potential
> >compatibility issues but am pleased everything works so well & was worth
> >it. Thank you Freewheel in Reading :)

> I bet Bob Bristow would have done it for less ;-)

Actually, his bike sounds more like your dad's old hammer, you know the
one I mean? :)

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)

Andy Hewitt wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2004 22:17:54 +0100, "~ Q ~" <[email protected]> wrote in
>> message <[email protected]>:
>>
>>> This little project cost me ~£360, including new rear wheel. I
>>> hummed & ha'd over spending so much on such an old bike due to
>>> potential compatibility issues but am pleased everything works so
>>> well & was worth it. Thank you Freewheel in Reading :)

>> I bet Bob Bristow would have done it for less ;-)

> Actually, his bike sounds more like your dad's old hammer, you know
> the one I mean? :)

Along the same lines as Trig's brush on Only Fools and Horses?

Doki <[email protected]> wrote:

> Andy Hewitt wrote:
> > Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I bet Bob Bristow would have done it for less ;-)

> > Actually, his bike sounds more like your dad's old hammer, you know
> > the one I mean? :)

> Along the same lines as Trig's brush on Only Fools and Horses?

Yup.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
http://www.thehewitts.plus.com - now online

Just zis Guy, you know? - typed:
> On Wed, 26 May 2004 22:17:54 +0100, "~ Q ~" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message <[email protected]>:
>
>> This little project cost me ~£360, including new rear wheel. I
>> hummed & ha'd over spending so much on such an old bike due to
>> potential compatibility issues but am pleased everything works so
>> well & was worth it. Thank you Freewheel in Reading :)

> I bet Bob Bristow would have done it for less ;-)
>
> Guy

Bob's built wheels for me on a couple of occasions - both when working
for UB Cycles & afterwards.

--
The map is not the territory

Soup popped his head over the parapet,saw what was going on and said
> Andy Hewitt wrote:
>> Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I bet Bob Bristow would have done it for less ;-)

>> Actually, his bike sounds more like your dad's old hammer, you know
>> the one I mean? :)

> Along the same lines as Trig's brush on Only Fools and Horses?

Heard that as Queen Mary's axe.
Two new heads three new handles but it's the same axe.

--
Yours S. addy not usable (not that you would try it) ( )
Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant! / \