New Lightweight Singletrack Racer

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by chn68b, Oct 10, 2007.

1. chn68b

chn68b New Member

I currently have a Marin Rocky Ridge, 2006. Great condition and and a top bike, but I'm finding that I'm now
    basically putting in more mileage than I anticpated when I made the purchase.

I commute in the week, and get the Marin out on the weekends for 25/30 mile rides through woodland single track.
    Whilst the Marin is a good all rounder its not ideally suited to this type of riding.

I think I'm going to sell the Marin, not sure how much I'd get for it but its in fantastic condition, and this is
    the money that I'll have for the new wheels.

So, how much do you think the Marin is worth now (purchased Feb 06 for £995). Once thats confirmed, what would you recommend for a replacement for my needs?

Tags:

2. chn68b

chn68b New Member

Wow, its lively on here:rolleyes:

3. JM01

JM01 New Member

I'm not familiar with prices over there, but a 1.5 year old bike sells for about half the price of new in Toronto. My daughter's BF just sold his very slightly used Trek Liquid for $1600.00, bought it new 2 years ago for $2800.00. A friend is selling a 3 year old Ellsworth frame for $900.00, new it was $3000.00.

Most of the bikes I see on our singletrack are Specialized FSR's, Trek Fuels, Santa Cruz Blurs, a few Ellsworth Truths, Ids, and Epiphanies, lots of hardtails...mostly light <30lb XC bikes.

Happy trails.

4. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

This is probably after-the-fact, but why don't you just change the front fork to one better suited to the type of riding you're currenly doing?

Mostly road? Consider a solid fork which has disc tabs + slicks & new tubes ...

Different type of trail riding? Consider a fork with less travel.

Et cetera.

SAVE the current fork for when the need arises ... even if you were to change it back-and-forth once-a-week ... you'll just need a new/(extra) crown race & star nut for the OTHER fork.