New look on 'The Look'

luv2ride

Jul 31, 2005
This is from a post from a person with the username of merlin. These are his words, not mine, but I thought that they were interesting and deserved to be posted on this website:

In the 2001 TDF in Stage 10 on Alpe de Huez, Lance Armstrong was seen on camera appearing to stare down Jan Ullrich as he launched an attack. This moment has come to be referred to as "the look" At the time, the debate on this Forum was whether Lance was being arrogant, or was just measuring Ullrich. Last night Lance said in an OLN interview he wasn't looking at Ullrich at all. Rather he was trying to see where Beloki was, and also looking for where his teamates were (in the event the attack failed and he needed help) Lance said it was merely the camera angle that made it look like he was looking at Ullrich. Having watched a reply after hearing Lance's explanation, he does appear to be looking past Ullrich.

I think the comments are interesting in showing how we know less about what goes on in the race than we think we do. Many forumites, including myself ,posted comments regarding the incidient that now appear to be based on faulty speculation.

The explanation of what he was actually looking at, and considering at the time, also gives some indication of the complexity involved in the strategic decisions made during the race.
:)

luv2ride said:
This is from a post from a person with the username of merlin. These are his words, not mine, but I thought that they were interesting and deserved to be posted on this website:

In the 2001 TDF in Stage 10 on Alpe de Huez, Lance Armstrong was seen on camera appearing to stare down Jan Ullrich as he launched an attack. This moment has come to be referred to as "the look" At the time, the debate on this Forum was whether Lance was being arrogant, or was just measuring Ullrich. Last night Lance said in an OLN interview he wasn't looking at Ullrich at all. Rather he was trying to see where Beloki was, and also looking for where his teamates were (in the event the attack failed and he needed help) Lance said it was merely the camera angle that made it look like he was looking at Ullrich. Having watched a reply after hearing Lance's explanation, he does appear to be looking past Ullrich.

I think the comments are interesting in showing how we know less about what goes on in the race than we think we do. Many forumites, including myself ,posted comments regarding the incidient that now appear to be based on faulty speculation.

The explanation of what he was actually looking at, and considering at the time, also gives some indication of the complexity involved in the strategic decisions made during the race.
:)
I believe he addressed that in his first book as well. Not looking at Ullrich, just looking to see who was around.

azdroptop said:
I believe he addressed that in his first book as well. Not looking at Ullrich, just looking to see who was around.

Ah man, that's no fun.... You mean he didn't look at him and say " Hey Ulle, does my butt look fat in the pants?" :D

LW

Ahhh yes another shorted witted American..... keep the southen flag in your pocket.....

lwedge said:
Ah man, that's no fun.... You mean he didn't look at him and say " Hey Ulle, does my butt look fat in the pants?" :D

LW

whiteboytrash said:
Ahhh yes another shorted witted American..... keep the southen flag in your pocket.....

How do you get a "southern flag" in your pocket? What the hell is a southern flag anyway?

Please don't be so sensitive WBT, my comment was " tongue in cheek". This is a question my wife asks me all the time and I hate answering her.

Just for the record....... You are not the first person to call me "shorted witted" :D

Relax and Go Jan ! (really)

LW

lwedge said:

LW
I thought LA said "Hey Ulle get your nose out of my @ss I am about to attack, you will have plenty of oppurtunities to put it back in the next 4 years." :D