New look to Shimano pedals

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rudycyclist, Feb 2, 2007.

1. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

Has anyone seen the newly designed Shimano pedals? They are still making all last years models (that design hasnt changed), but they have added a few newly designed pedals for this year. I know for sure they are making a newly designed d/a and Ultegra pedal. They cut off some weight with the new design. So their lineup of pedals will be as follows:

PD-7810 (newly designed d/a pedals)
    PD-7800 (last years d/a pedals)
    PD-???? (newly designed Ultegra)

Shimano's website doesn't have anything on there, but it was advertised in the March 07 Bicycling. In the link below, it explains how it's better (wider, more stability, etc.). I think I'm sold. I'll probably get the Ultegra ones though.

On www.competitivecyclist.com they list the pros and cons about them (My browser won't let me paste in here for whatever reason, sorry)

Tags:

2. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

The Ultegra version is listed as the PD-6620 on their Japanese site with a listed weight of 317g/pair (that's all I can make out) see:
    http://cycle.shimano.co.jp/publish/content/cycle/sic/jp/ja/06newpro/pd_6620.html

versus 278g for the new PD-7810. see:
    http://cycle.shimano.co.jp/publish/content/cycle/sic/jp/ja/06newpro/pd_7810.html

If the prices stay about the same as listed at Cambriabike, I'll probably try out a pair of the 6620s as I was just about to order a set of the 6610s on sale for replacements, but I think I'll hold out for these. I'll be surprised if they really keep making the 7800 alongside the new models.

3. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

Yeah, me too. www.competitivecyclist.com says the new version will keep you from replacing cleats as often because of the little plastic piece in the back portion of the pedal. It wasn't an issue for me, but apparently it was for some people. I agree, I think I'll run the 6620s next year.

I was led to believe they will be making the 7800, 6610, etc. because at my LBS the book of all their products they can order had the 06 and 07 models in it. It's still odd to me that Shimanos U.S. website doesn't have anything on there about new pedals. Weird

4. Phill P

Phill P New Member

If its anything like the car world, you keep your factory making the old model right uptil the day you start full production of the new model. That means a lot of old stock to clear.
    Shimano kept suppling 9spd 105 and Ultegra for a year after releasing the 10spd stuff. Likely to discount the old spuds and sell the new ones at a premium til next year.

I'm thinking next year will be a new DA release with updated shifters based off the XTR mechs, ceramic balls in the hubs and BBs, but unlikey to be any carbon fibre I'd say (Shimano does a lot of casting and forging and don't want to invest in new materials technology).

5. rschleicher

rschleicher New Member

I saw a photo of the new Dura Ace pedal, and it looked like they've gotten rid of the little black plastic insert on the flat part of the pedal (over the bearing/axle), and replaced it with something that was alloy-colored. Possibly the insert is now metal? (There was no description in what I saw - just a picture.) I know that some people had problems related to the plastic inserts, if you let them wear down too much before replacing them. Maybe this was a slight weak point in the design that they are improving. I haven't seen a photo of the new Ultegras yet - I have a set of the '06 Ultegras, so hopefully the new ones don't induce a case of "pedal envy"

6. supergrill

supergrill New Member

Umm...that's what Rudy's link above is for.....
    That's what Serenaslu's link above is for....
    :p

7. dsschanze

dsschanze New Member

Uh...how long am I going to be able to keep buying replacement parts for my current PD-6610 pedals? In other words, should I stock up on replacement parts now, cause I plan on riding on my current pedals for at least 2-3 more years.

8. Cutters

Cutters New Member

9. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

It's tough to say. I was unable to find body cover plates for the Ultegra PD-R600 almost immediately after they came out with the 6600 series. I believe, however, that there are more common parts between the 540's and the 6610 then there have been in the past, so that may aid the longevity of parts' availability.