New Mavic Tensiometer?

Gary Young

Guest
On p. 34 of Mavic's "Complete 2007 Technical Manual" there's a picture of
a tensiometer that appears (to this untrained eye) to resemble Jobst's
design more than it does the alternatives. (I don't really have the
vocabulary to describe the difference, except to say that the Mavic
tensiometer doesn't seem to impart additional tension in the way some
of the clamp-like tensiometers do.) I haven't been able to find
anything else about it on the Mavic site or elsewhere, so it may well be
new.

You can get the manual from this page:

www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/mavic_tech.php

If prompted for a user name and password, enter mavic-com and dealer.

"Gary Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On p. 34 of Mavic's "Complete 2007 Technical Manual" there's a picture of
> a tensiometer that appears (to this untrained eye) to resemble Jobst's
> design more than it does the alternatives. (I don't really have the
> vocabulary to describe the difference, except to say that the Mavic
> tensiometer doesn't seem to impart additional tension in the way some
> of the clamp-like tensiometers do.) I haven't been able to find
> anything else about it on the Mavic site or elsewhere, so it may well be
> new.
>
> You can get the manual from this page:
>
> www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/mavic_tech.php
>
> If prompted for a user name and password, enter mavic-com and dealer.

Are you talking about the digital LCD display tensiometer Mavic depicts in
their 2007 Technical Manual?
It looks like a digital version of the FSA one that Jobst designed.
It might be really interesting if you could plug it into a computer. Then
you could log all the spoke's tension onto the computer, so you could check
the different tension readings.

Earl Bollinger wrote:
> "Gary Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On p. 34 of Mavic's "Complete 2007 Technical Manual" there's a picture of
> > a tensiometer that appears (to this untrained eye) to resemble Jobst's
> > design more than it does the alternatives. (I don't really have the
> > vocabulary to describe the difference, except to say that the Mavic
> > tensiometer doesn't seem to impart additional tension in the way some
> > of the clamp-like tensiometers do.) I haven't been able to find
> > anything else about it on the Mavic site or elsewhere, so it may well be
> > new.
> >
> > You can get the manual from this page:
> >
> > www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/mavic_tech.php
> >
> > If prompted for a user name and password, enter mavic-com and dealer.

> Are you talking about the digital LCD display tensiometer Mavic depicts in
> their 2007 Technical Manual?
> It looks like a digital version of the FSA one that Jobst designed.
> It might be really interesting if you could plug it into a computer. Then
> you could log all the spoke's tension onto the computer, so you could check
> the different tension readings.

And maybe, just maybe the clones that build these wheels for Mavic
might actually use one....I still think they make some 'pretty good'
rims but wheels, fergettaboudit.

Gary Young writes:

> On p. 34 of Mavic's "Complete 2007 Technical Manual" there's a
> picture of a tensiometer that appears (to this untrained eye) to
> resemble Jobst's design more than it does the alternatives. (I don't
> really have the vocabulary to describe the difference, except to say
> that the Mavic tensiometer doesn't seem to impart additional tension
> in the way some of the clamp-like tensiometers do.) I haven't been
> able to find anything else about it on the Mavic site or elsewhere,
> so it may well be new.

> You can get the manual from this page:

> www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/mavic_tech.php

You can also get to tools from that main menu under -> service ->
tools, and get the same page faster. The picture is so small and
poorly lit that no significant details are visible. Apparently the
instrument is still top secret.

Jobst Brandt

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:06:11 -0600, "Earl Bollinger"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Gary Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On p. 34 of Mavic's "Complete 2007 Technical Manual" there's a picture of
>> a tensiometer that appears (to this untrained eye) to resemble Jobst's
>> design more than it does the alternatives. (I don't really have the
>> vocabulary to describe the difference, except to say that the Mavic
>> tensiometer doesn't seem to impart additional tension in the way some
>> of the clamp-like tensiometers do.) I haven't been able to find
>> anything else about it on the Mavic site or elsewhere, so it may well be
>> new.
>>
>> You can get the manual from this page:
>>
>> www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/mavic_tech.php
>>
>> If prompted for a user name and password, enter mavic-com and dealer.

>Are you talking about the digital LCD display tensiometer Mavic depicts in
>their 2007 Technical Manual?
>It looks like a digital version of the FSA one that Jobst designed.
>It might be really interesting if you could plug it into a computer. Then
>you could log all the spoke's tension onto the computer, so you could check
>the different tension readings.

Dear Earl,

Park Tool has a downloadable XLS spreadsheet for recording spoke
tension for a wheel, automating the conversion of gauge marks to kgf,
and showing a graph of the wheel's tension:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=52

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 06:06:11 -0600, "Earl Bollinger"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Gary Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>> On p. 34 of Mavic's "Complete 2007 Technical Manual" there's a picture
>>> of
>>> a tensiometer that appears (to this untrained eye) to resemble Jobst's
>>> design more than it does the alternatives. (I don't really have the
>>> vocabulary to describe the difference, except to say that the Mavic
>>> tensiometer doesn't seem to impart additional tension in the way some
>>> of the clamp-like tensiometers do.) I haven't been able to find
>>> anything else about it on the Mavic site or elsewhere, so it may well be
>>> new.
>>>
>>> You can get the manual from this page:
>>>
>>> www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/mavic_tech.php
>>>
>>> If prompted for a user name and password, enter mavic-com and dealer.

>>Are you talking about the digital LCD display tensiometer Mavic depicts in
>>their 2007 Technical Manual?
>>It looks like a digital version of the FSA one that Jobst designed.
>>It might be really interesting if you could plug it into a computer. Then
>>you could log all the spoke's tension onto the computer, so you could
>>check
>>the different tension readings.

> Dear Earl,
>
> Park Tool has a downloadable XLS spreadsheet for recording spoke
> tension for a wheel, automating the conversion of gauge marks to kgf,
> and showing a graph of the wheel's tension:
>
> http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=52
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Cool, thanks, I appreciate it.
Now I don't see any reason to wonder about the secret Mavic Tensiometer.
:)