New meaning given to LiveStrong

RWillieK

Aug 26, 2004
I have been wearing a Live Strong bracelet for about a month and a half. I haven't been affected by cancer, I did have a grandfather die when I was three or four from cancer though.

I read the LA books, and the band had a lot more significance.

Yesterday I got an even bigger reason to wear one. My grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer. An otherwise healthy man wakes up with a stomach ache, goes to the hospital and they find growths on his lungs and liver.

I'm probably going to order up some more Live Strong bracelets and pass them around to my family, and try to help in the fight against cancer.

Robbie

Robbie...my heart goes out to you and your family. Don't forget to use the information and resources available through Lance's foundation. They can do a lot more than you might think to help you and yours with what lies ahead.

I like your idea about the Live Strong bracelets too. I did the same thing with my family. It's a little thing, but every little thing helps. Hang tough big guy!

RWillieK said:
I have been wearing a Live Strong bracelet for about a month and a half. I haven't been affected by cancer, I did have a grandfather die when I was three or four from cancer though.

Yesterday I got an even bigger reason to wear one. My grandfather was diagnosed with lung cancer. An otherwise healthy man wakes up with a stomach ache, goes to the hospital and they find growths on his lungs and liver.

I'm probably going to order up some more Live Strong bracelets and pass them around to my family, and try to help in the fight against cancer.

Robbie
I am a cancer survivor, and take the program quite seriously - not that I wouldn't had I not had cancer. I have a large supply of the bracelets, and I give them out right off my wrist. I was on a bike trail last week, and I met another rider who indicated that she would love to have one, but cannot find them. I told her how to get them, but took mine off, and gave it to her. I would love to see at least every cyclist wearing one, if not every person.

There is no one who has not, or will not be affected by cancer in one way or another on a personal level.

skydive69 said:
I am a cancer survivor, and take the program quite seriously - not that I wouldn't had I not had cancer. I have a large supply of the bracelets, and I give them out right off my wrist. I was on a bike trail last week, and I met another rider who indicated that she would love to have one, but cannot find them. I told her how to get them, but took mine off, and gave it to her. I would love to see at least every cyclist wearing one, if not every person.

There is no one who has not, or will not be affected by cancer in one way or another on a personal level.

Where can you get one? I really want one and would love to know....and no I'm not asking for yours.;)

skydive69 said:
I would happily give you mine if you were in St. Petersburg, FL. :D

You can order them at http://www.laf.org/

Being in PA (the cold north) I would gladly come to St. Petersburg, FL to get a band from you. I currently wear 2 bands one that I started wearing when I got my order in june and the second is the one I gave to my grandmother. I started wearing it when she passed away Aug. 26

I'm probably going to order a box or two soon from laf.org

Thank everyone for their thoughts and kind words of encouragement.

Robbie

RWillieK said:

Robbie
my heart goes out to you and your family. I had my grandma and grandpa die from cancer. my grandma went first, she also had diabeties, and my grandpa died 3 days after my grandma. so all in all my family was hit hard by it as well. i never take my yellow off except to play in my soccer games (which its rules i cant wear it). i hope the best for your family.

bikerbrian said:
Being in PA (the cold north) I would gladly come to St. Petersburg, FL to get a band from you. I currently wear 2 bands one that I started wearing when I got my order in june and the second is the one I gave to my grandmother. I started wearing it when she passed away Aug. 26
As I was doing my morning ride this morning, it struck me as to how lucky I am to live in Florida as sweat was pouring off my body in late October!

skydive69 said:
As I was doing my morning ride this morning, it struck me as to how lucky I am to live in Florida as sweat was pouring off my body in late October!
That's just wrong :( you shouldn't rub it in

Hi Robbie,
May you, your grandfather and family have the strength to get through this...you have to have the hope that he will be cured and support each other as much as you can...

My wife is a Cancer survivor (2000) and my Dad passed away recently, believe it or not, you may not realize it at this moment, but going through these things truly makes one a better person, it gives us compassion, it makes us realize that we do indeed have to "Livestrong", appreciate our Families, Friends and make the most of every minute, it changes one's perspective...

I wear my Bracelet every day, to me it's not a fashion statement, it's a reminder...

Take care and keep us updated!!

RWillieK said:

Robbie

Thank you much skydive for the info. I want to get myself, my wife and my little girl each one since my wife's mother passed away from cancer about 13 years ago and her aunt is currently battleing breast cancer, my grandfather passed away about 5 yrs ago from cancer and so did her grandmother. It's deffinetly a wake up call. Thanks again for the info.