New member and hopefully a new bike tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Dr_Watson, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Dr_Watson

Dr_Watson New Member

Hi all,

I've not been on my mountain bike (univega Ram930) for months and lost all fitness, Ive been out 3 times a week recently and got right back into it.

Im living in Switzerland now after moving here from the UK a few years back. My American manager at work is over in California for a holiday and was talking about buying a road bike there and if I was interested or not. I checked out the prices and saw that the 2005 model Treks were already on sale and about 40% cheaper than Swiss or UK prices (got exchange rate from $$$ to chf).

So, I pick him up at the airport and hopefully he will have a 2005 model Trek 1500, I know its near the bottom of the range but for $1000 dollars compared to what I would have to pay for it at my local shop, its a bargin.

Does anyone own the latest model 1500, im not that fussy, I used to do alot of miles on an old Dawes raod bike I had when I was about 14 (15 years ago), so Im sure it will do me fine for cycling through the valleys and round the lakes of Aargau.

Question:- I have SPD pedals and boots for my mountain bike, im not up on cycling jargon, but they are the typical clip in and the front 1st then the rear, and twist to release mechanism. I see that road bike have a similar thing but a bit more basic. I would by the road bike pedals and shoes but was wondering if I can by the mountain bike pedals and raod bike shoes with the mtb clips on the bottom, then in winter, i can wear my boots that are warmer and waterproof without and hassle.

Question:- DO people put pics on the forum of their runs, I would like to show some of the roads I will cycle next spring here in Switzerland.

Cheers the noo

Dr Watson

Any info is appreciated..

Tags:

2. RC2

RC2 New Member

Good for you. Funny, someone in switzerland buying a US bike... I'm in the US and have been lusting over the phonak BMC's made over there. Have fun with it. And yes, you can use the SPD pedals w/a road bike w/o any problem, although road pedals with more float and solid cleat engagement will probably be noticably more comfortable over longer rides...

3. Telegram Sam

Telegram Sam New Member

Ahhh...A Univega was my first ten-speed-
    and I ride a road bike with SPD pedals-I just like them the most, and yes, there are road shoes out there that are SPD compatable
    Welcome to the forum

4. Dr_Watson

Dr_Watson New Member

I dont have loads of money to spend and save alot bying it in the USA, have you see how much a carrot costs here, never mind a road bike (cars, petrol and electronics are cheaper than UK though)

My Univega rocks, its about 6 years old, full sus, hard as nails, Ive thrashed it so much abd hardly replaced anything.

My bike "should" arrive off an AA flight in Zurich in a few hours, hopefully no bent forks etc. I have to nip up to my managers house and take his new volvo estate to the airport to get him and the big boxes..."honest, I will driver your car nice and gentle!"

Good news on the SPD, I try it out.

Thanks