New member looking for parts

Auzano

Apr 29, 2011
I have a 1974. ( I think that's the year) nishiki road compe. Just pulled it out of my barn, I rode it while in university from 1976 to the 81. It origionally belnged to my sister who pased away in 1976', so i didnt purchase it. Been sitting ever since. I planning to ride again hurt my foot jogging and need to change my exercise mode. What size frameis right for a 5"6" inch guy with short 28" inseam. Where can I find some parts: Caps for the crank lower bracket Pedal crank Can I get the original sow up rims and tires Toe holder and straps. In the nishiki line where did this bike come in, I know it was a higher end but what ewre the better models in it's day?

Were you looking to restore the bike to 1976-condition OR did you want to update the bike to today's standards?

FYI. eBay is probably your best source for same-as replacements OR current components ...

If I were 5'6", then I would probably prefer a frame with a 51cm (c-c) seat tube & a 53cm top tube + a 9cm stem. The handlebar reach & drop may affect the choice of stem length.

Vintage tubular wheels (usually with Campagnolo hubs if they have survived) which use sew-up tires still exist (on eBay) and do not cost very much (or, so it seems to me).

700c clincher wheels & tires are equivalent as far as the brake calipers are concerned AND what I would recommend you consider due to the cost of sew-up tires. Again, check eBay.

The caps which cover the BB bolts on the crankset are not meaningful ... so, unless you have an aesthetic reason for finding a set, you may as well stop looking for them now, otherwise check eBay for all the small-or-large components that you may be looking for.

Alfeng is right about the BB bolt covers. I tried to find a pair for a bike that I was restoring last year and there were only a few that were worth getting. I picked up a pair but they were not anything close to being original.