New member wanting advice on foot problems (PF!)

spoilsport

Sep 22, 2011
Hello Cycling Forum experts!

I am an older (56) cyclist with a history of plantar fasciitiis. Cycling unfortunately appears to exacerbate the symptoms.

No additional heel pain after biking but the fascia extends all the way up near the toes and that's where I have pain.

The pain prevents me from pushing as much as I'd like and takes more time than I'd like to recover.

I use custom orthotics and do the recommended stretches and icing and night splints, etc...ad nauseum.

I'm wondering if you would have any tips? I've thought about clipless pedals or a toe strap to increase pedaling efficiency

I've tried slower cadences with more resistance and faster cadence in lower gears, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I've tried pumping more with my quadriceps and let the feet go along for the ride but I don't even know if that's valid.

I have a Giant Revel MTB with flat pedals now.

Thanks.

You should discuss this with your Doctor. Along with PT they can set up an RX plan to get you on a bike. Hopefully you will be able to ride comfortably in the future.

Although we have plenty of members who are good at dispensing medical and legal advice. Take this advice with a grain of salt because thats all it will be worth.

Originally Posted by davereo .

You should discuss this with your Doctor. Along with PT they can set up an RX plan to get you on a bike. Hopefully you will be able to ride comfortably in the future.

Although we have plenty of members who are good at dispensing medical and legal advice. Take this advice with a grain of salt because thats all it will be worth.
+1. This is the ONLY sort of medical advice you should heed on an internet forum.

I had just got back from my podiatrist and asked him.

He said he used to cycle and clipless pedals *might* help.

I am a health care provider and I can tell you doctors don't have a monopoly on the truth.

If there are any cyclists who have PF and found something helpful I would like to hear about it.

Originally Posted by spoilsport .

I had just got back from my podiatrist and asked him.

He said he used to cycle and clipless pedals *might* help.

I am a health care provider and I can tell you doctors don't have a monopoly on the truth.

If there are any cyclists who have PF and found something helpful I would like to hear about it.
Well, that might be the case, but it is without doubt stupid to go to an internet forum populated with strangers to seek medical advice. It's as useful as asking random people on a bus for medical advice. No one ever said doctors were all knowing, but it makes complete sense to go to your doctor for medical advice, to ask questions of your doctor, and to seek second opinions from other doctors when either your doctor doesn't answer your questions, doesn't listen to what you say, or you just want to find other options.

What exactly do you know about anyone posting on a forum, where identities are fabricated with ease?

To give medical advice from complete strangers online its due, it is slightly wiser to seek that advice than it is to get advice from Jenny McCarthy or Deepak Chopra.

Several years ago I went to the docs with some pain in the sole of my right foot. He referred me to the podiatrist and he said I had "pf" and tried selling me a pair of $200 insoles. I went to Good Feet and they said it seems like I had all the symptoms of PF and want $300 for their super wizzo insoles. I went to my massage place (Psoas massage and bodywork) in SF and after a brief check of my feet, calf, pelvis and shoulder the problem was fixed in 15 minutes. Ymmv. Funnily enough my wife had similar syptoms and the doc and podiatrist said the same thing. Absolutely PF they said. Id wanted her to to go Psoas to get a slight knee pain issue looked at but booked her in for an appointment (she does like spending money on stuff like that - apparently it's a waste). A 1 hour appointment later and all was good in the foot and knee dept. Again, ymmv. Orthotics designed for walking may not be your best bet for cycling. Feet are designed for walking - what goes on when cycling is something completely different.