rchan

Oct 9, 2003
Hi,
I'm new to cycling - former experience on BMX dirt bike.
I would like to get some information on a good beginner bike. I'm not planning on going off roads or dirt tracks.

And I want to apologize in advance if I post this message in the wrong forum. Please advise.

Thanks for your time.
RC

Some additional information might be helpful in order for us to make suggestions:

I assume that you will be riding primarily on paved roads or paths. What sort of distances are you planning on going? Were you planning on riding in any group rides or tours? What price range do you have in mind for a bike purchase? What are your cycling goals?

Thanks for replying.
In reference to some of your questions....
I will be riding primarily on paved roads each day or every other day for approx. 5-10 miles to start out, then progressively work my way up to about 15-20 miles, etc... I will not be riding in groups or tours. I'm getting started in cycling to switch off with my normal running routine. As for the price of the bike, I truly do not know how much to spend on a "good" bike. I checked some of the local bike shops and found some bikes to be around $2-3K which is out of my range.

Do you know anyone in your area who rides? The best way to get started, bar none, is to hook up with some buds who'll show you the ropes and fix you up with their spare parts for a song. For your first ride an affordable frame and inexpensive components is all you want. There's no need to spend $2k or more. You can do really well with a lot less.

You should be able to get a good road bike for about $1000. You want to get one that you will enjoy riding, both for starting out and as you progress to longer distances. I would advise visiting your local bike shops and test riding models from several manufacturers to see what riding characteristics you like or don't like. Some manufacturers that I would recommend checking out are listed below:

http://www.jamisbikes.com
http://www.masibikes.com
http://www.lemondbikes.com

Hi and welcome.

I recently bough my first bike (since I was a kid), and I let the helpful and knowledgeable person at a local sporting goods store help me pick it. I spent less than 200 bucks, and I'm thrilled. Ya, it's kind of a moose, but it fits the description of what I wanted to a T. I told the guy I wanted something for street riding, that could take a child seat, that I could ride everywhere, could use for running errands as much as for pleasure rides.

So I got a great 1st bike for not too much money... That way, when I go back to buy another one in a couple of years, I'll know what features I want from my own experience, and then, and only then, will I be prepared to shell out some serious bucks for a really incredible bike. And after training on my behemoth, I'll kick some serious tail on a lightweight bike! ;)

Go to a professionally staffed store, get their advice. Don't let 'em sell you a fancy bike to begin with.

Have fun!

Sara

You might visit several bike shops and tell them what you are looking for. After they give you some suggestions, check out ebay and see what's available. Good way to get a bike you might normally be able to afford.

When you're at the bike shop, tell them how much you have in your budget to spend. A good shop will point you in the right direction. If they blow you off, then find another shop. Once you get into the sport, you are going to want a good helpfull LBS.

Welcome to Cycling, careful, It gets addictive.

JR

Originally posted by JoeRider
You might visit several bike shops and tell them what you are looking for. After they give you some suggestions, check out ebay and see what's available. Good way to get a bike you might normally be able to afford.

When you're at the bike shop, tell them how much you have in your budget to spend. A good shop will point you in the right direction. If they blow you off, then find another shop. Once you get into the sport, you are going to want a good helpfull LBS.

Welcome to Cycling, careful, It gets addictive.

JR
what he said.

Just a quickie, here, what is the price of a low-range bicycle where in the U.S., for example - I'm not talking KMart special (although, why not, for a novice), but can't you get a decent ride for less than 500$? The prices for bikes always seem so high to me back home.... Like I said, mine's very nice and cost less than 200 bucks, crappy Shimano gears and all!

Sara