New members!

Discussion in 'Tell us what you think!' started by Lazy legs, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

I see the membership keeps on climbing but very few new members tell us a bit aboout themselves. Is it not possible to maybe make a copulsary questionare that they have to complete that will then be automatically posted on a thread for all to see?
    Nothing personal, just stuff like Bike = MTB/ Road; Recreationall/Pro; Likes & Dislikes; etc.

Just a thought! :)

Tags:

2. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

I agree with Lazy Legs - at least we will know more about the people that register..

3. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I could force new users to go to the 'tell us about yourself' thread, I can't force them to post though, I think a lot would if i did this.

cheers!

4. DevilMan

DevilMan New Member

Maybe it's possible to send an (automated) welcome message to new members, and (among other things) just ask them to tell something about themselfs in that specific topic ?

5. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

I havent actually checked what the welcome message contains :rolleyes: ...... i'll follow it up tonight, its a good idea

cheers!

6. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Steve, I was thinking last night, (yeh I can do that some times, :D not for long though. :eek: )
    Is it possible to include something on the registration page that has to be completed and then posted on a specific thread, you can tell them that completing it is compulsory and that it will be posted? It might even count as a first post!
    Or do you think it will scare off too many new members?

7. baarb_forcier

baarb_forcier New Member

I'm a new member drawn to the site by your classifieds. Having just purchased a nice road bike from a most conscientious T.Choi, I'm ready to use the site to learn more about road riding technique and equipment. I've been on a mountain bike for the last ten years so there's a lot to learn. I wouldn't mind completing a member profile. I think it would be fun.

8. umberto

umberto New Member

im also a new member. Im 14 and i have been ridding for about half a year now. Ive got pulled into biking by a cusin. He was 12 when he, my dad and his went to our first mountain trail. it was a wonderful experience. everbody was joyful, and people on the trail were some of the most friendly people iv seen. I love the sport.
    Im 5'1", my wieght is 115 pounds, i have black hair, and im Italian. My other hobby is sketching, im really skilled at it and i also am very fond of it.

9. brightgarden

brightgarden New Member

Curious. Just how do you go about telling a bit about yourself? Do users have a home page or something? Or dyou have have to cram it all into the biography part of the profile?

10. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi

Have you seen this thread? http://www.cyclingforums.com/t22.html

Its been going for almost two years and has about 560 posts.

cheers

11. aeropapa17

aeropapa17 New Member

Can you tell me what the title: junior member/member/senior member is? Its a little humiliating to be called a junior member at age 52. :)

12. keydates

keydates New Member

It's a rank, depending on the number of posts. Once you reach a certain number, you move up in rank until it seems you become a "Senior Member."

13. ltmark

ltmark New Member

This isn't the proper place to ask this, but HOW do I post a new thread. I'm a new member and can't find a link or icon to post new thread.....

14. keydates

keydates New Member

It's at the top of any forum you enter, just above and on the left of all the threads.

15. velo fellow

velo fellow New Member

Well, IMHO, it seems obvious. If you want people to introduce themselves, you give them a place that is obvious to do just that. Now, go to the forum home page, look down through the topics, and tell me where you might find something like that.

I don't think we need force people to do this. It isn't a user problem, the problem is that the administrators haven't designed this into the forum layout.

If you build it, they will come!

16. steve

steve Administrator
    Staff Member

Point taken :eek: Do you think we need an introductions forum rather than the sticky thread?

cheers