New mid-range or old high-end bike?

Peter Saffrey

Guest
Hi there,

I'm just getting back into cross country mountain biking and
am considering upgrading my bike. At the moment, I'm riding
a 10 year old low-end Emmelle, but now I have a bit more
money I thought I'd treat myself :) I ride about twice a
week, around 12 miles each time mostly off road.

A friend has a 6 year old full suspension Orange. I don't
know the model (OX, possibly?), but it seems to be fairly
well specced - XT/LX throughout and Rock Shox on the
front. Apparently it cost him £1500 new and it's hardly
been ridden.

My question is, how much has biking technology moved on in 6
years? How much is this Orange worth and am I better off
buying this, or buying a newer bike with less impressive
credentials? I have about 500 quid to spend, so I could get
a nearly new Giant XTC3, for example.

Any help and comments appreciated.

Peter

"Peter Saffrey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there,

Ho!

> I'm just getting back into cross country mountain biking
> and am considering upgrading my bike. At the moment, I'm
> riding a 10 year old low-end Emmelle,

Sounds like a good idea..

> A friend has a 6 year old full suspension Orange. I don't
> know the model (OX, possibly?), but it seems to be fairly
> well specced - XT/LX throughout and Rock Shox on the
> front. Apparently it cost him £1500 new and it's hardly
> been ridden. My question is, how much has biking
> technology moved on in 6 years?

Not so much moved on as bad designs have been weeded out.
The Orange sounds like one of the URT frames they first
made. That was a bad design.

> How much is this Orange worth

In the words of a diminuitive comedian, 'Not a lot'. If
the parts are in good condition they may be worth more on
their own.

> and am I better off buying this, or buying a newer bike
> with less impressive credentials?

New bike please.

> I have about 500 quid to spend, so I could get a nearly
> new Giant XTC3, for example.

Yep look around loads of decent bikes for that amount,
stick to hardtails (front suspension only) and you won't go
far wrong.

> Any help and comments appreciated.

You might want to reconsider that...

> Peter

Steve.

Peter Saffrey wrote:

> My question is, how much has biking technology moved on in
> 6 years? How much is this Orange worth and am I better off
> buying this, or buying a newer bike with less impressive
> credentials? I have about 500 quid to spend, so I could
> get a nearly new Giant XTC3, for example.

Technology, especially suspension, has moved on a huge
amount in the last six years, and in all honesty, the X0 (I
assume that's the bike you're referring to) was a bit pants.
I'd go with the XTC 3 (or similar).

"Peter Saffrey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thank you both for your help. I'm now looking for
> new/nearly new bikes and have found this:
>
> http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/product_details.asp-
> ?id=2891
>
> (new GT 04 G T Ruckus 2.0 for £549)
>
> I'm a sucker for a bargain ;) Does anybody know whether
> this is a decent bike/would be suitable for my purposes?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

I think I'll leave this for the moment and see what GT
has to say.

Steve.

"Peter Saffrey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thank you both for your help. I'm now looking for
> new/nearly new bikes and have found this:
>
> http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/product_details.asp-
> ?id=2891
>
> (new GT 04 G T Ruckus 2.0 for £549)
>
> I'm a sucker for a bargain ;) Does anybody know whether
> this is a decent bike/would be suitable for my purposes?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Hmm looks like no-one else is going to bite so I'll give my
opinion. From what I recall you want a bike for general xc
duties, the 'Ruckus' is designed more as a playbike. Thats
not to say you couldn't ride xc on it but there are bikes
more suited to the purpose if xc is all you want to do.

Steve.