New mid-range or old high-end bike?

Peter Saffrey

Guest
Hi there,

I'm just getting back into cross country mountain biking and am
considering upgrading my bike. At the moment, I'm riding a 10 year old
low-end Emmelle, but now I have a bit more money I thought I'd treat
myself :) I ride about twice a week, around 12 miles each time mostly
off road.

A friend has a 6 year old full suspension Orange. I don't know the
model (OX, possibly?), but it seems to be fairly well specced - XT/LX
throughout and Rock Shox on the front. Apparently it cost him £1500
new and it's hardly been ridden.

My question is, how much has biking technology moved on in 6 years?
How much is this Orange worth and am I better off buying this, or
buying a newer bike with less impressive credentials? I have about 500
quid to spend, so I could get a nearly new Giant XTC3, for example.

Any help and comments appreciated.

Peter

"Peter Saffrey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there,

Ho!

> I'm just getting back into cross country mountain biking and am
> considering upgrading my bike. At the moment, I'm riding a 10 year old
> low-end Emmelle,

Sounds like a good idea..

> A friend has a 6 year old full suspension Orange. I don't know the
> model (OX, possibly?), but it seems to be fairly well specced - XT/LX
> throughout and Rock Shox on the front. Apparently it cost him £1500
> new and it's hardly been ridden.
> My question is, how much has biking technology moved on in 6 years?

Not so much moved on as bad designs have been weeded out. The Orange sounds
like one of the URT frames they first made. That was a bad design.

> How much is this Orange worth

In the words of a diminuitive comedian, 'Not a lot'. If the parts are in
good condition they may be worth more on their own.

> and am I better off buying this, or
> buying a newer bike with less impressive credentials?

New bike please.

> I have about 500
> quid to spend, so I could get a nearly new Giant XTC3, for example.

Yep look around loads of decent bikes for that amount, stick to hardtails
(front suspension only) and you won't go far wrong.

> Any help and comments appreciated.

You might want to reconsider that...

> Peter

Steve.

Peter Saffrey wrote:

> My question is, how much has biking technology moved on in 6 years?
> How much is this Orange worth and am I better off buying this, or
> buying a newer bike with less impressive credentials? I have about 500
> quid to spend, so I could get a nearly new Giant XTC3, for example.

Technology, especially suspension, has moved on a huge amount in the last
six years, and in all honesty, the X0 (I assume that's the bike you're
referring to) was a bit pants. I'd go with the XTC 3 (or similar).

"Peter Saffrey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thank you both for your help. I'm now looking for new/nearly new bikes
> and have found this:
>
> http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=2891
>
> (new GT 04 G T Ruckus 2.0 for £549)
>
> I'm a sucker for a bargain ;) Does anybody know whether this is a
> decent bike/would be suitable for my purposes?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

I think I'll leave this for the moment and see what GT has to say.

Steve.

"Peter Saffrey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thank you both for your help. I'm now looking for new/nearly new bikes
> and have found this:
>
> http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=2891
>
> (new GT 04 G T Ruckus 2.0 for £549)
>
> I'm a sucker for a bargain ;) Does anybody know whether this is a
> decent bike/would be suitable for my purposes?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter

Hmm looks like no-one else is going to bite so I'll give my opinion. From
what I recall you want a bike for general xc duties, the 'Ruckus' is
designed more as a playbike. Thats not to say you couldn't ride xc on it but
there are bikes more suited to the purpose if xc is all you want to do.

Steve.