new mileage

n00b2theRoad

Jul 30, 2010
Sat I rode 40 miles with my 2 riding buddies. for them it was not a long ride however for this only being my 2nd week of riding it was my longest ride. I did very well. The only problem I have is by butt really starts to hurt after about 15 miles I need to find a better seat..any suggestions on a good seat????

n00b2theRoad said:
Sat I rode 40 miles with my 2 riding buddies. for them it was not a long ride however for this only being my 2nd week of riding it was my longest ride. I did very well. The only problem I have is by butt really starts to hurt after about 15 miles I need to find a better seat..any suggestions on a good seat????

First of all, welcome. Both to the forum and to the sport. Congratulations on surviving your bump in mileage. That is a great accomplishment.

Now to address your question. You might need a new saddle. However, since it is only your second week of riding, you need to get your butt used to it before deciding that the saddle is a problem. Even for avid recreational cyclists who don't train year round, the first few times on the bike after the winter can be painful. But after a short time, nothing hurts even after hours in the saddle. So, long story short, I recommend suffering through it for a couple more weeks and see if things just start feeling better.

If you continue to have problems, then consider a new saddle (fizik makes good ones), or even new shorts. Are you riding with shorts with chamois?

CalicoCat said:
First of all, welcome. Both to the forum and to the sport. Congratulations on surviving your bump in mileage. That is a great accomplishment.

Now to address your question. You might need a new saddle. However, since it is only your second week of riding, you need to get your butt used to it before deciding that the saddle is a problem. Even for avid recreational cyclists who don't train year round, the first few times on the bike after the winter can be painful. But after a short time, nothing hurts even after hours in the saddle. So, long story short, I recommend suffering through it for a couple more weeks and see if things just start feeling better.

If you continue to have problems, then consider a new saddle (fizik makes good ones), or even new shorts. Are you riding with shorts with chamois?

thank you. I was doing 20 to 25 miles at a time which was a good ride with moderate hills. I am in good shape I was a runner before I switched to cycling. I love it. its a great workout and very relaxing and a great way to see the sites. I do have riding shorts. I ll just try and bear it for a few more weeks and then if I am still in pain I ll look into a new saddle. It is funny though cuz my legs never really bother me but after a ride my ass is on fire lol. Thanks man appreciate it.