New MTB (hard-tail): Klein Vs. Cannondale?

scoutsbuddy

Jun 21, 2004
Brand new to this forum. I'm in the market for a new MTB. Currently riding a stock Cannondale Delta V--had it for a good 6-7 years and it's about that time to get something new. Ride mostly on the road but do hit some rough trails every now and then. Plan to do the same on my new bike. Love riding up steep hills. Looking at either the Klein Attitude V or Cannondale f800(lefty) or f2000sl. Definitely want something with disc brakes (gotta come down those steep hills with somethin). Looking to spend around $1500. Looking for the lightest and strongest--am I looking in the right place?

thanks in advance!

:)

I've been riding an F800 for about a year and a half now. So far I've not had any problems with it. I ditched the pedals straight away and went for some EggBeaters, other than that its all the original components.

With regards to hills, I'm yet to be defeated by one on my trusty steed, but then again, not everyone likes hills like I do so to add some perspective my road riding father took it out once, had to climb a hill and was amazed at how easily he could climb.

The lefty has performed well, only bottomed out once coming down a huge stair drop way too slow, which is self-evidently more my fault than the bikes. The discs have been good (never had discs prior to this, so I can't compare them to other discs).

I've just had it taken down to a single speed as of today, which makes for a pretty light ride (granted single speed isn't for everyone).

Basically I couldn't be happier, I'd contemplated the F2000 when I bought it, but in no way regret getting the F800.

I'm bettin the 'dale is lighter. I've had three. a Super-V and 2 hard-tails. I still have the hard-tails. I love 'em.

My next ride'll be a OCLV Trek Fuel. :D

Here's a previous thread that should be helpful.

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t133825.html

The F2000SL will be significantly lighter than the F800 .. mainly in the forks. The Super Fatty on the 2000 is a full 600g lighter than a Lefty Jake (1332g vs 1940g.) If you're going to be using it for road a lot and only some dirt I'd also be leaning towards the Fatty for the following reasons:

* 80mm (Fatty) vs 100mm (Lefty.) Are you an aggressive enough off-road rider to warrant 100mm ?
* the Fatty on the F2000 has a lockout, the Lefty Jake on the F800 doesn't
* you can swap wheelsets much easier on a Fatty.. it'd be very convenient to have a 'road' and 'dirt' wheelset with a rear cluster and tyres to match each condition. Because of the way the wheel mounts onto the Lefty, changing the front wheelset is a pain.
* Black looks cooler. Someone had to say it :p

My mechanic has an '04 F2000SL (Optimo frame w/ XT and Super Fatty DL), and comparing it in weight with an unscientific 'lift-test' with my '01 F2000 (CAAD5 frame w/ XT and Lefty ELO) was an eye-opener. That thing was damn light!

Hey wait, that thread is basically the same as this one, lol :eek:

I have both a Klein and a Cannondale in hardtail. I admit they are a few years apart but the difference between them is amazing! That Klein practicaly climbs hills for me! The rear triangle is so much stiffer - it makes a very noticeable difference.

test ride them and you decide - I'm sure they've evolved since mine were made

tim