New MTB wheels

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steven Templeton, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. Looking for new set of MTB wheels and after some assistance fellas.

    Don't have discs (yet), currently use v-brakes. Looking for quality fit and
    forget wheelset. I ride hard XC (20 miles offroad typically) with some small
    drops and rock gardens. I weight approx 13 stone.

    I have seen a pair LX on D521CD for £80 delivered. Are LX hubs of high
    enough quality ? And will D521's be OK or too heavy.

    Finally is this a decent price ? Or can anyone suggest anything better?

    Thanks in advance

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Steven Templeton wrote:

    > Looking for new set of MTB wheels and after some assistance fellas.
    >
    > Don't have discs (yet), currently use v-brakes. Looking for quality fit and
    > forget wheelset. I ride hard XC (20 miles offroad typically) with some small
    > drops and rock gardens. I weight approx 13 stone.
    >
    > I have seen a pair LX on D521CD for £80 delivered. Are LX hubs of high
    > enough quality ? And will D521's be OK or too heavy.
    >
    > Finally is this a decent price ? Or can anyone suggest anything better?

    If I were ordering personally I would get them from Merlin Cycles.
    Their prices are pretty good but more importantly they are well built
    and properly tensioned. I've seen a lot of MTB wheels that go out of
    true but Merlin's have not been amongst them.

    No relationship with the company as I build my own wheels.

    Tony

  3. "Steven Templeton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Looking for new set of MTB wheels and after some assistance fellas.
    >
    > Don't have discs (yet), currently use v-brakes. Looking for quality fit
    > and
    > forget wheelset. I ride hard XC (20 miles offroad typically) with some
    > small
    > drops and rock gardens. I weight approx 13 stone.
    >
    > I have seen a pair LX on D521CD for £80 delivered. Are LX hubs of high
    > enough quality ? And will D521's be OK or too heavy.
    >
    > Finally is this a decent price ? Or can anyone suggest anything better?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Don't get the LX hubs. I've got a rear LX hub, and i've got to clean the
    bearings every couple weeks as the hubs seem to collect water at the first
    sign of any dampness (I did manage 2 months cycling in dry weather only).
    Personally i'd go for XT hubs, as they seem to get alot of good comments
    made about them (I'm hoping to replace my rear wheel with an XT hub + mavic
    XC717 soon).

    moray

  4. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Steven Templeton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have seen a pair LX on D521CD for £80 delivered. Are LX hubs of high
    > enough quality ? And will D521's be OK or too heavy.

    LX hubs are shite, the RHS seal is useless and water will find its way not
    only into the wheel bearing but also the freehub.
    It's actually cheaper to buy a new hub complete and use the new freehub, RHS
    cones and bearings and bin the body, how do I know this? :-(
    (Since moved over to cartridge bearing hubs).

    Pete

  5. On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:58:07 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    <[email protected]>:

    >LX hubs are shite, the RHS seal is useless and water will find its way not
    >only into the wheel bearing but also the freehub.

    Really? I must replace mine instanter. After a couple of years
    all-weather use amounting to about 8,000 miles it must be totally
    shagged.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
    you know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:58:07 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>LX hubs are shite, the RHS seal is useless and water will find its way
    >>not only into the wheel bearing but also the freehub.

    > Really? I must replace mine instanter. After a couple of years
    > all-weather use amounting to about 8,000 miles it must be totally
    > shagged.

    You aren't using them under mountain bike conditions. I'd be horrified
    if any serious mountain bike component couldn't stand up to 8,000 miles
    of commuting. Not that I'm saying the LX hubs are shite because I
    haven't used them, but I don't think that 100,000 miles of commuting
    use says anything about whether a component is any use on a mountain
    bike.

  7. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > You aren't using them under mountain bike conditions. I'd be horrified
    > if any serious mountain bike component couldn't stand up to 8,000 miles
    > of commuting. Not that I'm saying the LX hubs are shite because I
    > haven't used them, but I don't think that 100,000 miles of commuting
    > use says anything about whether a component is any use on a mountain
    > bike.

    That may be true for some components like handlebars, but doesn't seem
    so obviously true for the effectiveness of the hub seals, which will
    still get attacked by dirty water (although perhaps will be less
    frequently fully submerged) when commuting.

    The only hubs I have had which failed from this problem are Hope Big'un
    (x2, bits of the ratchet teeth were snapped off in each case).

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  8. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:58:07 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >LX hubs are shite, the RHS seal is useless and water will find its way

    not
    > >only into the wheel bearing but also the freehub.

    > Really? I must replace mine instanter. After a couple of years
    > all-weather use amounting to about 8,000 miles it must be totally
    > shagged.

    I bought an mtb with LX hubs at the end of '99. It's used in all weathers,
    all year off road (proper mtbing not an occasional foray along a towpath).
    The first time I decided I ought to service it the hub was knackered, full
    of rusty balls and water rather than grease of any description. I put this
    down to perhaps poor lubrication when assembled and an overlong period
    before service.
    I fitted a new hub, loads of grease, but when I remembered I ought to
    service it the story was the same.
    I fitted another new hub and think I managed to service it successfully once
    after a very short period but next time I went to service it it was U/S.
    This was at the end of '03 and I replaced it with a Hope. I don't need to
    be faffing about servicing a hub every other week.
    In contrast the Chorus hubs on my ex road bike never had any problems in
    perhaps 30,000 to 40,000 miles but then again were never subjected to wet
    Peak District peat.
    YMMV.

    (The front hub and the LHS of the rear have been fine).

    Pete

  9. On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:35:03 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >>>LX hubs are shite, the RHS seal is useless and water will find its way
    >>>not only into the wheel bearing but also the freehub.

    >> Really? I must replace mine instanter. After a couple of years
    >> all-weather use amounting to about 8,000 miles it must be totally
    >> shagged.

    >You aren't using them under mountain bike conditions. I'd be horrified
    >if any serious mountain bike component couldn't stand up to 8,000 miles
    >of commuting.

    All-weather commuting? On salted roads? It's pretty harsh on
    drivetrain components, you know.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy,
    you know? ('[email protected]') wrote:

    >>> Really? I must replace mine instanter. After a couple of years
    >>> all-weather use amounting to about 8,000 miles it must be totally
    >>> shagged.

    >>You aren't using them under mountain bike conditions. I'd be horrified
    >>if any serious mountain bike component couldn't stand up to 8,000
    >>miles of commuting.

    > All-weather commuting? On salted roads? It's pretty harsh on
    > drivetrain components, you know.

    Nothing like as harsh as being bottom-bracket deep in mud, or fording
    non-trivial streams. Essentially commuting never normally sees your
    hubs immersed in anything. It's a whole other world out there.

    Windows 95:
    You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
    M. Jagger/K. Richards

  11. On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 14:35:05 GMT, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >>>You aren't using them under mountain bike conditions. I'd be horrified
    >>>if any serious mountain bike component couldn't stand up to 8,000
    >>>miles of commuting.

    >> All-weather commuting? On salted roads? It's pretty harsh on
    >> drivetrain components, you know.

    >Nothing like as harsh as being bottom-bracket deep in mud, or fording
    >non-trivial streams. Essentially commuting never normally sees your
    >hubs immersed in anything. It's a whole other world out there.

    I've been through floods which came above the BB on my tourer before
    now. Knackered my old cup and cone BB, but didn't kill the LX rear
    hub; at annual strip and clean it was still in fine shape :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  12. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, James Annan
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > The only hubs I have had which failed from this problem are Hope
    > Big'un (x2, bits of the ratchet teeth were snapped off in each case).

    Was this on the tandem, or on singles? I had understood Hopes were quite
    good.

    .::;===r==\
    / /___||___\____
    //==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
    //____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
    \__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

  13. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]

    > >> Really? I must replace mine instanter. After a couple of years
    > >> all-weather use amounting to about 8,000 miles it must be totally
    > >> shagged.

    Thinking about it Guy it quite possibly could be so but of course if you
    haven't looked you won't know what state your balls are in. Regular
    examination is reccomended :)

    Pete

  14. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > I've been through floods which came above the BB on my tourer before
    > now. Knackered my old cup and cone BB, but didn't kill the LX rear
    > hub; at annual strip and clean it was still in fine shape :)

    Yebbut mine didn't last a year each. One failure can be an anomaly but not
    three, especially as I became aware of a potential problem and thought I was
    taking adequate steps.
    The mtb I had prior to the one with LX hubs had a pre Parralax XT hub and
    this proved trouble free for 6 years (still got it, still use it) even
    though on the face of it the sealing looked inferior to the LX.

    Pete

  15. On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:17:22 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    <[email protected]>:

    >> I've been through floods which came above the BB on my tourer before
    >> now. Knackered my old cup and cone BB, but didn't kill the LX rear
    >> hub; at annual strip and clean it was still in fine shape :)

    >Yebbut mine didn't last a year each. One failure can be an anomaly but not
    >three, especially as I became aware of a potential problem and thought I was
    >taking adequate steps.

    So: LX fine for all-year-round use as long as you don't ride through
    mud. Will that do?

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  16. On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 15:46:44 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
    <[email protected]>:

    >Thinking about it Guy it quite possibly could be so but of course if you
    >haven't looked you won't know what state your balls are in. Regular
    >examination is reccomended :)

    I examine my balls regularly, in line with all the best advice ;-)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  17. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:

    > in message <[email protected]>, James Annan
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >

    >>The only hubs I have had which failed from this problem are Hope
    >>Big'un (x2, bits of the ratchet teeth were snapped off in each case).

    > Was this on the tandem, or on singles? I had understood Hopes were quite
    > good.

    It was on the tandem, but it was almost certainly precipitated by water
    (dirt) getting in.

    One of the hubs was only about 4 days old, but that was 4 days of
    TransRockies racing.

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  18. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > So: LX fine for all-year-round use as long as you don't ride through
    > mud. Will that do?

    That would appear to rule out MTBing use, which was the point of the
    sub-thread...

    James
    by treading on the toes of giants.

  19. On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:18:09 +0900, James Annan
    <[email protected]>:

    >> So: LX fine for all-year-round use as long as you don't ride through
    >> mud. Will that do?

    >That would appear to rule out MTBing use, which was the point of the
    >sub-thread...

    Yeah, yeah. I am happy to concede that LX hubs are nowhere near as
    good as Hope, but I don't think they are shite. In particular, they
    are probably no more shite than the mostly percent of MTB hubs out
    there in the wild which are lower spec (e.g. standard Deore, which
    appear to be made of cheese).

    Once a fortnight use? Probably not an issue. Six hours of
    mud-plugging every week? Probably a big deal.

    I'm also wondering to what extent the wash-down process might be
    contributing to the failures.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  20. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > I'm also wondering to what extent the wash-down process might be
    > contributing to the failures.

    In my case Guy I use a light sprinkle of water to loosen the grime then
    brush & cloth with car shampoo to remove grime followed by a light sprinkle
    of water to wash off residue.
    I never, ever use a jet wash, kiss of death to bearings IMO, and never point
    a strong hose jet at the bike.
    My philosophy is that the bike should be able to be used in a rain storm
    and therefore so long as my cleaning method doesn't exceed what a rain storm
    can deliver I've breached no limits.
    This is the same method I used with the XT hubs and in fact also with my
    road bikes, albeit less frequently in the latter case.

    I only wonder if the cupped metal disc designed to create a labyrinth in
    fact somehow acts as a pump to force water past the rubber lip seal on the
    freehub, but I don't wonder to the point of loosing sleep.

    Regarding Hope hubs: The OP was considering a complete pair of wheels for 80
    quid, a rear Hope XC hub costs nearly this amount alone and if he's on a
    budget is clearly too expensive so I could hardly recommend one with his
    cost criteria. But if he expects to ride often throughout the year then an
    LX hub might prove a problem and taking a longer view of 4 or 5 years a
    better hub would return its higher initial cost, but of course if he doesn't
    have the money in the first place...
    If the OP wants to ride mainly in fair weather and is prepared to check the
    rear hub often then the LX may very well do the job, and if on a budget
    will have to do it.
    I am in no position to reccomend an alternative budget hub, my comment was
    based on my own experience and was meant to be an informed opinion, the
    adjective used was perhaps not subtle but my opinion remains :)

    Pete