New Nike Lance commercial

"Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/seelanceride/main.html
> --dt

I wonder if any of the team sponsors had input/compensation regarding that
commercial. Despite the "swoosh" and tagline at the very end, the only
corporate image I'm left with is the big AMD logo at the bottom of the
jersey that's pretty much centered in the frame of the final shot.

Nike sucks, by the way. And if I was able to convert oxygen better than any
human who has ever been measured I could win bike races too.

Chris

dvt wrote:
> It's possible. I recall pro triathletes on Huffy bikes in the early
> 90's. Huffy may have sponsored cyclists, too, but my memory is a bit
> fuzzier on that one...

Both Huffy and Murray were generous and conspicuous pro
sponsors in the eighties

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

> I wonder if any of the team sponsors had input/compensation regarding that
> commercial. Despite the "swoosh" and tagline at the very end, the only
> corporate image I'm left with is the big AMD logo at the bottom of the
> jersey that's pretty much centered in the frame of the final shot.

You didn't notice the Montgomery Street sign? I thought that was
interesting.

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I'm getting the name of that kid at the end of the ad. Any 8-year-old
> who can ride a BMX onto Lance's wheel needs an agent.

With a stuffed animal on the handlebars and a football helmet to boot!!!

Chris wrote:

> And if I was able to convert oxygen better than any
> human who has ever been measured I could win bike races too.

And you trained like a madman. And you had an insatiable desire to
win. And you were impervious to the suffering, etc.

On 23 May 2004 13:32:46 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>Is Sheryl gonna travel with Lance during the TdF? Is Johan gonna lay down the
>law about what he 'does' in his off time?
>
>At the end of the TdF this year, she is gonna be blamed for his loss, amoung
>other things.

You know it's just killing Peter that Campagnolo hasn't been on a
winning TdF bike since last century. ;-)

Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sun, 23 May 2004 02:40:14 -0000, Bob Schwartz
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Not me, I'm getting a chopper. Apehangers rule.

> Like this one? : http://members.cox.net/thc/Chopper.JPG
>
> I still can't believe it's possible to steer like that.

Lately a lot of bicycles which resemble choppers, with all the chrome,
long forks, weird geometry, ornamentation and high handlebars have
been showing up in downtown Santa Cruz. I think someone has a custome
shop doing them, not a bad idea, though I'd be the last to try riding
one up a hill, or down one for that matter.

[email protected] (jim gravity) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > I'm getting the name of that kid at the end of the ad. Any 8-year-old
> > who can ride a BMX onto Lance's wheel needs an agent.

> With a stuffed animal on the handlebars and a football helmet to boot!!!

I didn't think that looked like a BMX, more like one of those really
small bikes with the solid tires my younger brother started on. Maybe
that's Luke, he's what, 4 and 1/2 now?

Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Doug Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/seelanceride/main.html

> I wonder if any of the team sponsors had input/compensation regarding that
> commercial. Despite the "swoosh" and tagline at the very end, the only
> corporate image I'm left with is the big AMD logo at the bottom of the
> jersey that's pretty much centered in the frame of the final shot.

> Nike sucks, by the way. And if I was able to convert oxygen better than any
> human who has ever been measured I could win bike races too.

Don't forget to train or you'll wind up like Jan.

BTW, Nike, or their marketers, are brilliant enough that they don't
need to worry about whether you remember the swoosh and tagline.
The very look of the ad is enough to tell you it's a Nike ad.
(Remember the Nike ads during the last World Cup with soccer players
in a steel cage tournament on a ship? The computer graphics and
lighting were very similar. And so on.) Right now, they can put
an ad on and not even show the swoosh and you'll be subconsciously
thinking Nike. Soon they'll only show the swoosh and slogan as a
legal requirement, like the way political ads have to name the sponsor.
Shortly after that, even the absence of the swoosh will be a Nike
marketing tool. This prediction was only a few years too early:

http://www.suck.com/daily/97/01/03/daily.html

Ben

On 05/24/2004 11:25 PM, in article
[email protected], "Terry Morse"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Doug Taylor wrote:
>
>> http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/seelanceride/main.html

> I like the very brief hairpin mountain road clip, in the misty
> forest. It reminds me of Kings Ridge Road, just north of the Russian
> River and off the Cazadero Highway. We rode there last Saturday, and
> it was simply beautiful. Short but steep climbs in shady forests.

It reminds me of coming up the back side of Mt. Tamalpais on Bolinas-Fairfax
Road from Alpine Dam to Ridgecrest.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

Andrew Martin wrote:
> Dave <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Who does the audio? Sheryl?

> Any ideas on this - I keep listening to that add just for that gentle
> groove. I'd buy that CD (or at least grab it off iTunes).

www.thepaceline.com sez:
PS - Several readers have asked about the music from the commercial -
here's the inside word from the commercial's producer: "It's an
original score by a music house in Los Angeles we work with quite a
bit... we supply ideas, inspiration and direction with various tracks
and then work with them scoring to picture."

Probably won't show up on iTunes anytime soon, then.

JLS
--
James Scott
www.jls.cx

[email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message

> Lately a lot of bicycles which resemble choppers, with all the chrome,
> long forks, weird geometry, ornamentation and high handlebars have
> been showing up in downtown Santa Cruz. I think someone has a custome
> shop doing them, not a bad idea, though I'd be the last to try riding
> one up a hill, or down one for that matter.

Like this? http://www.streetlowrider.com/ or http://www.lowriderbike.com/

They've been around for a while. Get with the program.

James Scott <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Andrew Martin wrote:
> > Dave <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >>Who does the audio? Sheryl?

> > Any ideas on this - I keep listening to that add just for that gentle
> > groove. I'd buy that CD (or at least grab it off iTunes).

> www.thepaceline.com sez:
> PS - Several readers have asked about the music from the commercial -
> here's the inside word from the commercial's producer: "It's an
> original score by a music house in Los Angeles we work with quite a
> bit... we supply ideas, inspiration and direction with various tracks
> and then work with them scoring to picture."
>
> Probably won't show up on iTunes anytime soon, then.
>
> JLS

Oh well - nice detective work regardless.

Thanks,-a

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (jim gravity) wrote:

> [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message
>
> > Lately a lot of bicycles which resemble choppers, with all the chrome,
> > long forks, weird geometry, ornamentation and high handlebars have
> > been showing up in downtown Santa Cruz. I think someone has a custome
> > shop doing them, not a bad idea, though I'd be the last to try riding
> > one up a hill, or down one for that matter.

> Like this? http://www.streetlowrider.com/

Mmmm, 144 spoke wheels. Nice. That's almost a disc.

--
tanx,
Howard

"Moby **** was a work of art, What the hell happened?"

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

"Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] (jim gravity) wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Richard Adams) wrote in message
> >
> > > Lately a lot of bicycles which resemble choppers, with all the chrome,
> > > long forks, weird geometry, ornamentation and high handlebars have
> > > been showing up in downtown Santa Cruz. I think someone has a custome
> > > shop doing them, not a bad idea, though I'd be the last to try riding
> > > one up a hill, or down one for that matter.

> > Like this? http://www.streetlowrider.com/

> Mmmm, 144 spoke wheels. Nice. That's almost a disc.

I remember one of the first discs Mavic made. Aluminum. Heavy bastards. Like
two heavy gauge woks welded together. Of course the prevailing logic at the
time was that heavy was good, as it would help to cancel out any
fluctuations in speed. Mavic then went on a few years later to create the
Comete ± where you could actually add steel weights to the outer perimeter
of the disc for the same [bad] reason.

"Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Howard Kveck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > [email protected] (jim gravity) wrote:

> > > Like this? http://www.streetlowrider.com/

> > Mmmm, 144 spoke wheels. Nice. That's almost a disc.
> >

> I remember one of the first discs Mavic made. Aluminum. Heavy bastards. Like
> two heavy gauge woks welded together. Of course the prevailing logic at the
> time was that heavy was good, as it would help to cancel out any
> fluctuations in speed. Mavic then went on a few years later to create the
> Comete ± where you could actually add steel weights to the outer perimeter
> of the disc for the same [bad] reason.

Reminds me of one of those things you do as a kid. My brother and I
found we could open a Sears tire pump and fill it with water. It was
only a matter of time until we were cruising around with waterfilled
tires. It took some time to get one of those big old bikes (what
they'd call cruisers today) up to speed, but man could they coast!