new (old) bike, yehey!

Luigi De Guzman

Guest
let the jubilation commence; I am no longer bikeless! a trip to ReCycling on elephant road and I am
now once again a wheelman.

as predicted by myself this summer, my london bike has turned out to be cheap, horrible, and
hub-geared. No chaincase, though. It's a horrid motobecane MBK mixte frame, painted pink fading to
black. (It's a good pink. the Giro leader wears pink, right?) The rear hub is a sachs torpedo
3-speed, *coaster brake*. and it has moustache-ish bars (which, btw, are pretty comfy for what they
are)it's ugly enough to be safe from kidnappers.

Why bother?

it has 700C x 28 tyres. Full fenders. A real rear rack. I figure I didn't do too badly for the UKP
60.00 I paid for it. fourteen quid more and I have a lock as well. Not bad. Now I'll have to starve
for a few days to keep my accounts straight, but.

Rode it home maybe a mile in sunday afternoon traffic, from Elephant & Castle to Bankside. My first
experience of big city riding is jumping onto the Elephant & Castle roundabout at speed. quick way
to get your blood up. On the way home, I was a litany of Highway Code errors. I ran a red. I nearly
right-hooked a car. I live. Other than those two nailbiters, I cope surprisingly well with the ride,
trafficwise. London isn't a forgiving environment for a rookie, but a bit of confidence goes a long
way, I suppose, and provided I knew where the traffic was flowing, I had no problems.

it isn't a longstaff, by any stretch, but now with some panniers and a rack, the weekend ride out
becomes *possible*. Target: London-Cambridge-London. People used to ride great distances on
three-speeds like this, after all.

sorry for rambling. return to your winter wrenching.

-Luigi

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) writes:
> let the jubilation commence; I am no longer bikeless! a trip to ReCycling on elephant road and I
> am now once again a wheelman.
>
> as predicted by myself this summer, my london bike has turned out to be cheap, horrible, and
> hub-geared. No chaincase, though. It's a horrid motobecane MBK mixte frame, painted pink fading
> to black.

Mixtes as commuter/transportational bicycles offer a couple of distinct advantages:

they're easy to pick up by the top tubes, and carry into elevators, etc.

and if you've got a tall load of groceries on the back, you can just step through the frame to get
on the bike.

I can't climb standing on mine -- the frame creaks & groans something fierce if I try. That's okay,
I can live with sittin' & spinnin'. And if there's a particularly heavy load on the back, the bike
tends to wag its tail. Maybe a front rack/panniers would help.

Congrats on your new (old) bike. May it serve you well.

cheers, Tom