New old bike

Resound

New Member
May 15, 2004
Spotted a cute looking roadie at the St Vinnies near work today and snaffled it for a friend. Looks about early 80s vintage, 6 spd cluster and strangely enough mostly French componentry. Huret derailleurs (not particularly classy, I believe) with medium tasty downtube shifters, Weinmann brakes, which seem pretty good particularly given how badly they're adjusted and a rather nice looking old wheelset with Maillard hubs, dunno what the rims are. I haven't looked all that closely at the crankset yet, but my mental image is of a medium pretty double with distinctly passable track pedals and metal toeclips. The frame is rather pretty with a really funky seat tube/stays cluster and quality looking dropouts. If it wasn't too big for me I'd so keep it. $15 seemed a bit of a bargain. Photos to come as it's parked here at work in the underground car park.

Resound wrote:
> Spotted a cute looking roadie at the St Vinnies near work today and
> snaffled it for a friend. Looks about early 80s vintage, 6 spd cluster
> and strangely enough mostly French componentry. Huret derailleurs (not
> particularly classy, I believe) with medium tasty downtube shifters,
> Weinmann brakes, which seem pretty good particularly given how badly
> they're adjusted and a rather nice looking old wheelset with Maillard
> hubs, dunno what the rims are.

Sounds very like my first "racer" a Viking Superstar with all the same
components you mention (but with 5 speed). Hopefully it doesn't have
the same saddle though, ouch!

Graeme

"Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Resound wrote:
>> Spotted a cute looking roadie at the St Vinnies near work today and
>> snaffled it for a friend. Looks about early 80s vintage, 6 spd cluster
>> and strangely enough mostly French componentry. Huret derailleurs (not
>> particularly classy, I believe) with medium tasty downtube shifters,
>> Weinmann brakes, which seem pretty good particularly given how badly
>> they're adjusted and a rather nice looking old wheelset with Maillard
>> hubs, dunno what the rims are.

> Sounds very like my first "racer" a Viking Superstar with all the same
> components you mention (but with 5 speed). Hopefully it doesn't have
> the same saddle though, ouch!
>
> Graeme

I took another look at it as I was leaving work. It's not a lugged framed
but rather a very cute fillet welded or tig welded frame. Given the age. I'd
back fillet.

Resound wrote:
> "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Resound wrote:
>>> Spotted a cute looking roadie at the St Vinnies near work today and
>>> snaffled it for a friend. Looks about early 80s vintage, 6 spd cluster
>>> and strangely enough mostly French componentry. Huret derailleurs (not
>>> particularly classy, I believe) with medium tasty downtube shifters,
>>> Weinmann brakes, which seem pretty good particularly given how badly
>>> they're adjusted and a rather nice looking old wheelset with Maillard
>>> hubs, dunno what the rims are.

>> Sounds very like my first "racer" a Viking Superstar with all the same
>> components you mention (but with 5 speed). Hopefully it doesn't have
>> the same saddle though, ouch!
>>
>> Graeme
>>

> I took another look at it as I was leaving work. It's not a lugged framed
> but rather a very cute fillet welded or tig welded frame. Given the age. I'd
> back fillet.

Gosh, this made me think about my first roadie, so I went looking for
it, and here it was in a catalogue at Sheldon Brown. Some ******* stole
it in 1975 and I grieved for years. I really loved that bike.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1974.pdf
(it was the Raleigh Competition Mk II).

Patrick Keogh wrote:
> Resound wrote:
>> "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Sounds very like my first "racer" a Viking Superstar with all the
>>> same components you mention (but with 5 speed). Hopefully it
>>> doesn't have the same saddle though, ouch!
>>>
>>> Graeme
>>>

>> I took another look at it as I was leaving work. It's not a lugged
>> framed but rather a very cute fillet welded or tig welded frame.
>> Given the age. I'd back fillet.
>>

> Gosh, this made me think about my first roadie, so I went looking for
> it, and here it was in a catalogue at Sheldon Brown. Some *******
> stole it in 1975 and I grieved for years. I really loved that bike.
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1974.pdf
> (it was the Raleigh Competition Mk II).

My first road bike was a beautiful Hetchins, hand made in London with curly
rear stays & wonderfully detailed lugwork, Campag everything. Which I'd
never sold it 35 years ago :p

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

"Patrick Keogh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Resound wrote:
>> "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Sounds very like my first "racer" a Viking Superstar with all the same
>>> components you mention (but with 5 speed). Hopefully it doesn't have
>>> the same saddle though, ouch!
>>>
>>> Graeme
>>>

>> I took another look at it as I was leaving work. It's not a lugged framed
>> but rather a very cute fillet welded or tig welded frame. Given the age.
>> I'd back fillet.

> Gosh, this made me think about my first roadie, so I went looking for it,
> and here it was in a catalogue at Sheldon Brown. Some ******* stole it in
> 1975 and I grieved for years. I really loved that bike.
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1974.pdf
> (it was the Raleigh Competition Mk II).

Which reminds me, given that I *did* buy it from a 2nd hand shop for $15,
I'll post pics at the earliest opportunity. If someone says "Hey that's my
bike! Some fscker stole that from me last month!" then we can work something
out.

Patrick Keogh wrote:
> Resound wrote:
>> "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Sounds very like my first "racer" a Viking Superstar with all the same
>>> components you mention (but with 5 speed). Hopefully it doesn't have
>>> the same saddle though, ouch!
>>>
>>> Graeme
>>>

>> I took another look at it as I was leaving work. It's not a lugged
>> framed but rather a very cute fillet welded or tig welded frame. Given
>> the age. I'd back fillet.
>>

> Gosh, this made me think about my first roadie, so I went looking for
> it, and here it was in a catalogue at Sheldon Brown. Some ******* stole
> it in 1975 and I grieved for years. I really loved that bike.
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1974.pdf
> (it was the Raleigh Competition Mk II).

Couldn't load that page, was it anything like my first roadie
of a similar vintage (circa 1978) shown here with its proud owner?
http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow/images/RayleighScorpio.jpg
Hmmm, steel cottered cranks. How I don't miss those.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

DeF said:
Patrick Keogh wrote:
> Resound wrote:
>> "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Sounds very like my first "racer" a Viking Superstar with all the same
>>> components you mention (but with 5 speed). Hopefully it doesn't have
>>> the same saddle though, ouch!
>>>
>>> Graeme
>>>

>> I took another look at it as I was leaving work. It's not a lugged
>> framed but rather a very cute fillet welded or tig welded frame. Given
>> the age. I'd back fillet.
>>

> Gosh, this made me think about my first roadie, so I went looking for
> it, and here it was in a catalogue at Sheldon Brown. Some ******* stole
> it in 1975 and I grieved for years. I really loved that bike.
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1974.pdf
> (it was the Raleigh Competition Mk II).

Couldn't load that page, was it anything like my first roadie
of a similar vintage (circa 1978) shown here with its proud owner?
http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow/images/RayleighScorpio.jpg
Hmmm, steel cottered cranks. How I don't miss those.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

ah, but just look at what you can turn them into....

http://tinyurl.com/r6nhd

Actually saw another one at the last hard rubbish as well, this time in your silver paint job!

On 2006-05-30, Resound (aka Bruce)
> "Patrick Keogh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Gosh, this made me think about my first roadie, so I went looking for it,
>> and here it was in a catalogue at Sheldon Brown. Some ******* stole it in
>> 1975 and I grieved for years. I really loved that bike.
>>
>> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1974.pdf
>> (it was the Raleigh Competition Mk II).

On the super tourer page, where's that guy's hand in the photo at the
top?

> Which reminds me, given that I *did* buy it from a 2nd hand shop for $15,
> I'll post pics at the earliest opportunity. If someone says "Hey that's my
> bike! Some fscker stole that from me last month!" then we can work something
> out.

Hey! That's my bike! Some fscker stole it from me last month!

--
TimC
I don't want Perl to be beautiful -- I want you to write

On 2006-05-31, DeF (aka Bruce)
> Couldn't load that page, was it anything like my first roadie
> of a similar vintage (circa 1978) shown here with its proud owner?
> http://wwwstaff.murdoch.edu.au/~dfarrow/images/RayleighScorpio.jpg
> Hmmm, steel cottered cranks. How I don't miss those.

Oooh, that seat could have been better adjusted!

--
TimC
"I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule."

On 2006-05-30, Resound (aka Bruce)
> "Patrick Keogh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Gosh, this made me think about my first roadie, so I went looking for it,
>> and here it was in a catalogue at Sheldon Brown. Some ******* stole it in
>> 1975 and I grieved for years. I really loved that bike.
>>
>> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/catalogs/Raleigh-Catalog-1974.pdf
>> (it was the Raleigh Competition Mk II).

On the super tourer page, where's that guy's hand in the photo at the
top?

> Which reminds me, given that I *did* buy it from a 2nd hand shop for $15,
> I'll post pics at the earliest opportunity. If someone says "Hey that's my
> bike! Some fscker stole that from me last month!" then we can work something
> out.

Hey! That's my bike! Some fscker stole it from me last month!

--
TimC
I don't want Perl to be beautiful -- I want you to write
beautiful programs in Perl. --Larry Wall

Fine, you can have the bike that's in all the photos of bikes that I have posted in the last two days. Enjoy :p

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Here's the pics with new tyres. It's funny, the "25mm" tyres that were on
> it were a hell of a lot narrower than the 23mm Vittorias I replaced them
> with. The last three pics are of the "new" bike.
> http://flickr.com/photos/34933544@N00/sets/1010754/

Nice pick up. That's an MBK which I think is related to Motobecane. I
remember them most for the mopeds that they sold in Australia. There are
plenty of MBK's like yours out on the streets of Zurich. That bike would
probably be worth $150-200 here at the moment as an old roadie/rennrad is
the fashionable thing to be seen on.

Cheers,
Greg

i saw that leaning against post out front of Vinnies (was it?) on Thursday?
Black iseem to remember??
Also a cool lil' goirls bike next to it :D

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> i saw that leaning against post out front of Vinnies (was it?) on
> Thursday?
> Black iseem to remember??
> Also a cool lil' goirls bike next to it :D
>

> --
> flyingdutch

The black one appears to be what replaced it and isn't half as nice.

"Greg Walton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Here's the pics with new tyres. It's funny, the "25mm" tyres that were on
>> it were a hell of a lot narrower than the 23mm Vittorias I replaced them
>> with. The last three pics are of the "new" bike.
>> http://flickr.com/photos/34933544@N00/sets/1010754/

> Nice pick up. That's an MBK which I think is related to Motobecane. I
> remember them most for the mopeds that they sold in Australia. There are
> plenty of MBK's like yours out on the streets of Zurich. That bike would
> probably be worth $150-200 here at the moment as an old roadie/rennrad is
> the fashionable thing to be seen on.
>
> Cheers,
> Greg

Yeah, I googled and discovered that. Apparently Motobecane had financial
issues about that time, went out of business and then came back initially
selling "MBK" bikes. This appears to be my bargain for the year.