New old/new Ciocc frame - anyone know more than I do!?

wolfgangrider

Aug 9, 2011
Hi everyone - first post on here!

I was googling Ciocc and came across the Cycling Forum - a few people who seemed to know more about Ciocc than me!

I have been given/passed down what appears to be a late 90's aluminium Ciocc frame with Campy Veloce set up and Kestrel EMS forks. The bike has Scorsone on the chain stay and Astore on the top tube. The paintwork is half dark blue metallic and white. Been searching the internet but not really getting too much info.

Can anyone offer anymore insight?

It's a bit of a mess at the moment - needs some TLC. Here are some rather amateur pics lol:

Any feedback would be really good! Thanks

I'm not really sure from your post what you want to know... You've already said pretty much all that can be said.

From the veloce (8 speed I'm guessing) you can say it is probably an entry - mid level offering. Not really a collectors item, but it looks a solid, good - condition bike. Ride it like you stole it....

The only likely future problem I can forsee is the lack of availability of campag 8 speed cassettes. But you can do pretty well with a Shimano rear wheel and 8 speed cassette (still available). The alternative would be to convert it to 10 speed (much more expensive).

Ha! I wonder if this forum came up on Google coz of me wanking on about my Cioccs. :)

Yeah, as 'Taff' said, there's not much to say, other than that the brand is definitely cool, kinda boutique-y (compared to juggernauts like Colnago, Pinarello, etc), Italian brand with some racing heritage. I have two near-identical Ciocc frames, similar to yours, which I think are 2002 models. They are made from Dedacciai T6 Energy aluminium, and are both very stiff (perhaps slightly harsh), great criterium frames.
Do any of the decals say what type of aluminium it is?

I liked mine so much that I bought a 2nd from the same shop :)

Here's a very short history from their website:

"It was 60 years ago, that CIOCC, working from a small artisan shop, produced high quality frames for some very demanding professional riders.
Sixty Years on and CIOCC still present in the professional ranks, as a confirmed leader in the production of race frames. Picking up along the way extraordinary successes, such as the 1977 world championships and the Olympiads of “Mokoba “ in1980.
Professional Teams, such as SANTINI CONTI KRUPS, ITALBONIFICA NAVIGARE and others have been equipped with CIOCC cycles, reaching international successes. As the company evolved, it has seen different changes of ownership. In 1991, the CIOCC trade mark and brand became ownership of Stefano Bonati, Cesare Biondi and Biffi Giuseppe, who realised the importance of its origins and how to maintain the traditions, characteristics and attention to detail of the brand as it evolves in to a new era offering production of carbon fibre frames. Today, CIOCC is still a market leader, offering unique bicycles for quality, design and performance."