New Orleans Bound

Stark Raven

Guest
Any recommendations for dining and eatin'? We'll probably try Galatoire's (sp?) if the line isn't
too long. And The Gumbo Shop for a lunch. We're open to all cuisines but our resources aren't
unlimited.

We're also taking a cooler and plan on bringing back lots of seafood, sausages and some prepared
stuff that we just can't seem to duplicate. Schaefer & Rusich Seafood, Deanie's Seafood and
Langenstein's Grocery are some of our options here.

--

"Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:140220040737194785%[email protected]...
> Any recommendations for dining and eatin'? We'll probably try Galatoire's (sp?) if the line isn't
> too long. And The Gumbo Shop for a lunch. We're open to all cuisines but our resources aren't
> unlimited.
>
> We're also taking a cooler and plan on bringing back lots of seafood, sausages and some prepared
> stuff that we just can't seem to duplicate. Schaefer & Rusich Seafood, Deanie's Seafood and
> Langenstein's Grocery are some of our options here.

Uglesich's Mandina's Bayona Christian's Drago's (just outside of New Orleans proper) Arnaud's (don't
miss the Mardi Gras museum upstairs and the cigar bar) ACME Oyster House (I prefer the lakefront
spot as opposed to the Quarter) Irene's Liuzza's on Bienville

Stace (too many to list)

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:33:30 GMT, Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any recommendations for dining and eatin'? We'll probably try Galatoire's (sp?) if the line isn't
>too long. And The Gumbo Shop for a lunch. We're open to all cuisines but our resources aren't
>unlimited.
>
>We're also taking a cooler and plan on bringing back lots of seafood, sausages and some prepared
>stuff that we just can't seem to duplicate. Schaefer & Rusich Seafood, Deanie's Seafood and
>Langenstein's Grocery are some of our options here.

My 10.

1. A muffaletta at Central Grocery on Decatur St
2. Barbecued shrimp at Pascal's Manale Restaurant on Napoleon Avenue. Take a streetcar down St.
Charles as far as you can and walk the rest.
3. A po' boy at Mother's on Poydras St
4. Fried chicken at Jacques-lmo's Cafe on Oak St. I say this again. Fried chicken at Jacques-lmo's
Cafe on Oak St.
5. Any seafood dinner at Commander's Palace on Washington Ave. Chase it with bread pudding.
6. Oysters at Casamento's on Magazine St.
7. Morning coffee and biegnets at Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street. IIRC, open 24 hours.
8. Lunch at Mike Anderson's on Bourbon St. Get something with a side of mustard cole slaw.
Heaven. Wish I could duplicate it. Good oysters Bienville. Use the bathroom before you go or
after you leave.
9. My favorite Cajun cuisine is Patout's on Bourbon st. Crawfish Pie and Oysters Alexander are to
die for. Alex Patout's is the only Cajun cookbook I own. Expensive.
10. Gumbo at Mulate's on Julia St. Live music here, too. Mulate's gumbo is made with a very dark
roux, not the peanut-butter kind which is almost universal.

I love Danny and Clyde's po-boys. We served their mini po-boys and muffaletas at our wedding.

Tara

Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> We're also taking a cooler and plan on bringing back lots of seafood, sausages and some prepared
> stuff that we just can't seem to duplicate. Schaefer & Rusich Seafood, Deanie's Seafood and
> Langenstein's Grocery are some of our options here.
>
> --

My advice would be to only eat Creole food in N.O. and then go up to the Lafayette-Breaux Bridge-Carencro-
New Iberia part of the state for Cajun. You'll save a fortune and the food will be several orders of
magnitude better.

If you're going to bring back andouille, boudin, and tasso in that freezer chest (something I always
do when I drive to LA) you REALLY need to go to 'Best Stop' in Scott, just outside of Lafayette.

Bob

http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:33:30 GMT, Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any recommendations for dining and eatin'? We'll probably try Galatoire's (sp?) if the line isn't
>too long. And The Gumbo Shop for a lunch. We're open to all cuisines but our resources aren't
>unlimited.

By now you know that a visit to Cafe du Monde (post bar-hopping) is required.

Outside the Quarter, I really like Mandina's (3800 Canal). Great little "divey" neighborhood place.
Also, last time we were in NOLA, we had an excellent dinner at Gabrielle (3201 Esplanade Ave).

Have fun!

Mary

In article <[email protected]>,
Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>Any recommendations for dining and eatin'?

Commander's Palace. Bring plenty of money.

The oyster bar at the Royal Sonesta Hotel (it has a separate name, that I can't remember right now)
on Bourbon Street.

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"[The Blues] is the kind of music that doesn't mince words -- it gets right to it." -Bonnie Raitt

"Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:140220040737194785%[email protected]...

> Any recommendations for dining and eatin'? We'll probably try Galatoire's (sp?) if the line isn't
> too long. And The Gumbo Shop for a lunch. We're open to all cuisines but our resources aren't
> unlimited.

You really can't go much wrong dining in New Orleans. Galatoire's is a wonderful place. It's about
as old-time New Orleans as it gets. Try to sit down stairs even if you have to wait. Upstairs is the
tourist section. If you make reservations you'll be upstairs. Another restaurant with excellent food
in the Quarter is Bayona. Of course, Commander's Palace in the Garden District is a great restaurant
as well. Of the upscale places I've been to in town, I've had the best food at Commanders.

Even though I like the upscale places I'm more of a neighborhood joint kind of guy. I don't know how
long you'll be in town, but if you are interested in venturing outside the French Quarter you might
consider going through Mid-City. You could head up Esplanade from the Quarter, stop for lunch at
Liuzza's by the Track. It's my favorite place in town and they have fabulous gumbo. After lunch
there are a bunch of things you could do withing walking distance or a very short drive. There is
the Fairgrounds Racetrack, St Louis Cemetary #3, City Park, my house, and the Museum of Art all
within a half mile or so. Never mind Bayou St. John which is a wonderful place to walk off a big
meal. After hanging out you could take Mary's advice and head over to Mandina's or Gabrielle for
another meal or maybe try out Cafe Degas, or Lola's. Gabrielle, Cafe Degas and Lola's are all on
Esplanade within a few hundred feet of each other. Cafe Degas would be my recomendation. If you
visit Mid-City you'll be seeing a great side of New Orleans that most tourists never experience.

> We're also taking a cooler and plan on bringing back lots of seafood, sausages and some prepared
> stuff that we just can't seem to duplicate. Schaefer & Rusich Seafood, Deanie's Seafood and
> Langenstein's Grocery are some of our options here.

Of the seafood joints my favorite is Sid-Mar's in Bucktown up by the lake. Bucktown is the seafood
joint part of town. There are a bunch of them there. Technically you aren't in New Orleans any more
when you are in Bucktown. It's part of Metairie.

Have fun. -Mike

Mandina's: http://www.mandinas.com/ Cafe Degas: http://www.cafedegas.com/ Gabrielle:
http://www.gabriellerestaurant.com/ Liuzza's by the Track: http://www.nola.com/sites/liuzzas/

Thanks to all on my New Orleans trip. Looks like I'll have to extend the visit and hire a fork lift
to get me home.

On 02/14/2004 7:02 AM, in article
[email protected], "Royal" <[email protected]>
opined:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:33:30 GMT, Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Any recommendations for dining and eatin'? We'll probably try Galatoire's (sp?) if the line isn't
>> too long. And The Gumbo Shop for a lunch. We're open to all cuisines but our resources aren't
>> unlimited.
>>
>> We're also taking a cooler and plan on bringing back lots of seafood, sausages and some prepared
>> stuff that we just can't seem to duplicate. Schaefer & Rusich Seafood, Deanie's Seafood and
>> Langenstein's Grocery are some of our options here.
>
> My 10.
>
> 1. A muffaletta at Central Grocery on Decatur St

Damn you making me hungry! Is the above the best Muffaletta in town?

I saw someplace featured on Food TV that looked good but I didn't write it down.

> 2. Barbecued shrimp at Pascal's Manale Restaurant on Napoleon Avenue. Take a streetcar down St.
> Charles as far as you can and walk the rest.
> 3. A po' boy at Mother's on Poydras St
> 4. Fried chicken at Jacques-lmo's Cafe on Oak St. I say this again. Fried chicken at Jacques-
> lmo's Cafe on Oak St.
> 5. Any seafood dinner at Commander's Palace on Washington Ave. Chase it with bread pudding.
> 6. Oysters at Casamento's on Magazine St.
> 7. Morning coffee and biegnets at Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street. IIRC, open 24 hours.
> 8. Lunch at Mike Anderson's on Bourbon St. Get something with a side of mustard cole slaw.
> Heaven. Wish I could duplicate it. Good oysters Bienville. Use the bathroom before you go or
> after you leave.
> 9. My favorite Cajun cuisine is Patout's on Bourbon st. Crawfish Pie and Oysters Alexander are
> to die for. Alex Patout's is the only Cajun cookbook I own. Expensive.
> 10. Gumbo at Mulate's on Julia St. Live music here, too. Mulate's gumbo is made with a very dark
> roux, not the peanut-butter kind which is almost universal.

--
=======================================
Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:07:30 -0500, "d w a c o n"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:140220040737194785%[email protected]...
>> Any recommendations for dining and eatin'? We'll probably try Galatoire's (sp?) if the line isn't
>> too long. And The Gumbo Shop
for a
>> lunch. We're open to all cuisines but our resources aren't
unlimited.

>Have lunch at Mother's...
>
>Have dinner at Brennan's...
>
>Have another dinner at Nola's...
Going to New Orleans is like heaven for a *foodie* person. Everything seemed extra delicious there.
We also appreciated their wonderful gentle accents and certainly the neat ambiance that makes you
feel as though you are in a foreign land. Would love to go back some day.

aloha, Thunder http://www.smithfarms.com Farmers & Sellers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

"Royal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:33:30 GMT, Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Any recommendations for dining and eatin'? We'll probably try Galatoire's (sp?) if the line isn't
> >too long. And The Gumbo Shop for a lunch. We're open to all cuisines but our resources aren't
> >unlimited.
> >
> >We're also taking a cooler and plan on bringing back lots of seafood, sausages and some prepared
> >stuff that we just can't seem to duplicate. Schaefer & Rusich Seafood, Deanie's Seafood and
> >Langenstein's Grocery are some of our options here.
>
> My 10.
>
> 1. A muffaletta at Central Grocery on Decatur St
> 2. Barbecued shrimp at Pascal's Manale Restaurant on Napoleon Avenue. Take a streetcar down St.
> Charles as far as you can and walk the rest.
> 3. A po' boy at Mother's on Poydras St
> 4. Fried chicken at Jacques-lmo's Cafe on Oak St. I say this again. Fried chicken at Jacques-
> lmo's Cafe on Oak St.
> 5. Any seafood dinner at Commander's Palace on Washington Ave. Chase it with bread pudding.
> 6. Oysters at Casamento's on Magazine St.
> 7. Morning coffee and biegnets at Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street. IIRC, open 24 hours.
> 8. Lunch at Mike Anderson's on Bourbon St. Get something with a side of mustard cole slaw.
> Heaven. Wish I could duplicate it. Good oysters Bienville. Use the bathroom before you go or
> after you leave.
> 9. My favorite Cajun cuisine is Patout's on Bourbon st. Crawfish Pie and Oysters Alexander are
> to die for. Alex Patout's is the only Cajun cookbook I own. Expensive.
> 10. Gumbo at Mulate's on Julia St. Live music here, too. Mulate's gumbo is made with a very dark
> roux, not the peanut-butter kind which is almost universal.

Stop that. Right now! ;) You're making me homesick for everything you can't get here in Alaska.

Robert

Tara <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I love Danny and Clyde's po-boys. We served their mini po-boys and muffaletas at our wedding.
>
> Tara

Gumbo & Bread Pudding at the Coffee Pot on St. Peter . . . if it's still there! Lynn from Fargo Who
"Knows what it means to miss New Orleans" Used to live on Bourbon Street

"MareCat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> Outside the Quarter, I really like Mandina's (3800 Canal). Great little "divey" neighborhood
> place. Also, last time we were in NOLA, we had an excellent dinner at Gabrielle (3201
> Esplanade Ave).

Mandina's is one of my favorites. They have excellent turtle soup and their bread pudding is
wonderful. I live about a block from Gabrielle, in fact I can see it when standing in front of my
house. I still haven't made it there for a meal.

-Mike

> > 1. A muffaletta at Central Grocery on Decatur St
>
> Damn you making me hungry! Is the above the best Muffaletta in town?

I believe Central Grocery makes the best muffalettas, but that is just my opinion. I like to buy a
Muffaletta, Zapp's chips and a beverage at Central Grocery, then have a picnic at Jackson Square.
Great local musicians are usually playing. Take lots of napkins with you. BTW, you may only be able
to eat 1/2 a muffaletta, they are large. Speaking of sandwiches, I like the meatball sandwiches at
Luigi's. Their French bread is superb.

My favorite cheap eats in the French Quarter is Acme Oyster House, 724 Iberville, and Maspero's near
Jackson Square, Cafe Du Monde for their beignets, also near Jackson Square.

For more expensive dining, I like NOLA, Arnauds, Emeril's Delmonico, K-Paul's, Patout's. Delmonico's
is a little bit of a drive, but it is not far from the French Quarter.

For breakfast I like Petunia's, it's a restaurant in a historic building, the food and the prices
are good. Petunia's is 1/2 block off Bourbon Street.

http://www.petuniasrestaurant.com/

I no longer go to Mother's, they are way too rude.

Becca

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:09:29 -0600, "Mike Pearce"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"MareCat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>
>> Outside the Quarter, I really like Mandina's (3800 Canal). Great little "divey" neighborhood
>> place. Also, last time we were in NOLA, we had an excellent dinner at Gabrielle (3201
>> Esplanade Ave).
>>

>Mandina's is one of my favorites. They have excellent turtle soup and their bread pudding is
>wonderful.

Their Trout Meuniere is terrific also. One of the best fish dishes I've ever had.

I live about a block from Gabrielle, in fact I
>can see it when standing in front of my house. I still haven't made it there for a meal.
>
>-Mike

As well as the food (which was delicious), I really enjoyed the ambiance at Gabrielle. It's a very
pretty, cozy, little place. And the service was excellent.

MareCat <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:33:30 GMT, Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Any recommendations for dining and eatin'? We'll probably try Galatoire's (sp?) if the line isn't
> >too long. And The Gumbo Shop for a lunch. We're open to all cuisines but our resources aren't
> >unlimited.

> By now you know that a visit to Cafe du Monde (post bar-hopping) is required.

> Outside the Quarter, I really like Mandina's (3800 Canal). Great little "divey" neighborhood
> place. Also, last time we were in NOLA, we had an excellent dinner at Gabrielle (3201
> Esplanade Ave).

It's been 6 or 7 years since I've been there, but there was a place just on the edge of the French
Quater. It was behind one of the big hotels on Canal St. and across the street from a
T.G.I Fridays. Don't remember the name, but we had a great lunch there. Walked in, accents so thick
you could cut 'em with a knife, and had lunch at the counter. The guy gave us a side of dirty
rice without us asking because I think he thought we needed the experience. Great little place.
Looked like a bit of a dive, but you have to try those places to find the gems sometimes.

Cafe du Monde, of course is really worth a visit.

And, if some guy wants to bet you he can tell you where you got your shoes, just smile and say, "I
know." ;-)

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.