New Orleans

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    With the Bucktown levee breach yesterday, all of the areas NO cyclists use
    are now under water. A report this morning on nola.com noted that the
    Plantation Coffee House is under 7 feet of water. The Plantation is/was one
    of the favorite places for New Orleans cyclists to sit and socialize after a
    ride. Plantation actually sits on high ground for its neighborhood. That
    means most of the homes near it are probably totally submerged.

    As Bayou St. John is flooding now, one of the best bicycle shops in NO, on
    Toulouse Street is probably destroyed--Bayou Bicycles. Charlie and Kyle
    Doer, Mark Manson and Alfred Wang are some of the best lbs personnel you'll
    ever meet.

    Keep your fellow NO cyclists in your thoughts and prayers today and in the
    coming weeks.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Should we accuse them of doping while we're at it?

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Should we accuse them of doping while we're at it?

  4. trg

    trg Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    [email protected]...
    > B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > [email protected]

    > > As Bayou St. John is flooding now, one of the best bicycle shops in NO,
    > > on
    > > Toulouse Street is probably destroyed--Bayou Bicycles. Charlie and Kyle
    > > Doer, Mark Manson and Alfred Wang are some of the best lbs personnel
    > > you'll
    > > ever meet.
    > >
    > > Keep your fellow NO cyclists in your thoughts and prayers today and in
    > > the
    > > coming weeks.

    > Should we accuse them of doping while we're at it?"

    You're an ass.

  5. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > [email protected]...
    >> B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >> [email protected]

    >> > As Bayou St. John is flooding now, one of the best bicycle shops in NO,
    >> > on
    >> > Toulouse Street is probably destroyed--Bayou Bicycles. Charlie and
    >> > Kyle
    >> > Doer, Mark Manson and Alfred Wang are some of the best lbs personnel
    >> > you'll
    >> > ever meet.
    >> >
    >> > Keep your fellow NO cyclists in your thoughts and prayers today and in
    >> > the
    >> > coming weeks.

    >> Should we accuse them of doping while we're at it?"

    > You're an ass.

    The spirit of New Orleans survives. From Nola.com:

    Two men surviving on generator power in the Lake Terrace neighborhood near
    the Lake Pontchartrain levee still had a dry house, but they were watching
    the rising water in the yard nervously. They were planning to head out to
    retrieve a vast stash of beer, champagne and hard liquor they found washed
    onto the levee.

  6. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:

    > The spirit of New Orleans survives. From Nola.com:
    >
    > Two men surviving on generator power in the Lake Terrace neighborhood near
    > the Lake Pontchartrain levee still had a dry house, but they were watching
    > the rising water in the yard nervously. They were planning to head out to
    > retrieve a vast stash of beer, champagne and hard liquor they found washed
    > onto the levee.

    You mean the spirit of looting...?

  7. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >>
    >> The spirit of New Orleans survives. From Nola.com:
    >>
    >> Two men surviving on generator power in the Lake Terrace neighborhood
    >> near
    >> the Lake Pontchartrain levee still had a dry house, but they were
    >> watching
    >> the rising water in the yard nervously. They were planning to head out to
    >> retrieve a vast stash of beer, champagne and hard liquor they found
    >> washed
    >> onto the levee.

    > You mean the spirit of looting...?

    Absolutely not. It's like treasure washing up on the beach. Some people
    like gold, others like Cuervo Gold.

    I saw the Governor of Mississippi on TV this morning, and I had the
    impression that he would have liked to issue a shoot to kill order for
    looters.

  8. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:
    > "RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > B. Lafferty wrote:
    > >>
    > >> The spirit of New Orleans survives. From Nola.com:
    > >>
    > >> Two men surviving on generator power in the Lake Terrace neighborhood
    > >> near
    > >> the Lake Pontchartrain levee still had a dry house, but they were
    > >> watching
    > >> the rising water in the yard nervously. They were planning to head out to
    > >> retrieve a vast stash of beer, champagne and hard liquor they found
    > >> washed
    > >> onto the levee.

    > > You mean the spirit of looting...?

    > Absolutely not. It's like treasure washing up on the beach. Some people
    > like gold, others like Cuervo Gold.

    Cute, but a specious argument. Do you think that "vast stash" of
    bottles just randomly floated together from all over the city? It was
    obviously a liquor store's contents. It's also possible that the
    nervousness was due to their talking to a reporter who was asking them
    about their looting plans.

    This from Wikipedia:
    Reasons behind looting
    Looting is often opportunistic. The apparent lapse in authority enables
    people to believe that they won't be discovered or charged. Looting
    also cascades through a group of people as one person believes that his
    contribution to the crime is lessened because someone else is looting,
    too. People may also believe that if the goods are not stolen, then
    they will simply be wasted, and see their act as a lesser of two evils.
    Finally, a looter may believe that if he doesn't steal the property, it
    will simply be stolen by someone else and he will gain nothing from his
    obedience. Looters are usually locals of the site of the disaster, and
    as such, may have lost alot of their own property. This further
    encourages them to steal as it is reducing the negative impact of the
    disaster.

    I thought you held yourself out to be the pillar of moral rectitude.
    Nice to see you make exceptions.

  9. At the risk of being crass...is anyone really surprised this happened.

    Leviticus fortells the fate of the wicked. If you are going to have
    your French Quarter and your San Francisco then you'll have your floods
    and earthquakes.

  10. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:

    >> > You mean the spirit of looting...?

    >> Absolutely not. It's like treasure washing up on the beach. Some people
    >> like gold, others like Cuervo Gold.

    > Cute, but a specious argument. Do you think that "vast stash" of
    > bottles just randomly floated together from all over the city? It was
    > obviously a liquor store's contents. It's also possible that the
    > nervousness was due to their talking to a reporter who was asking them
    > about their looting plans.

    Friend, all totaled, I have at least 15 friends who have lost their homes in
    New Orleans. They and their children are now homeless, without jobs or
    schools and you're pissing on about some booze that washed up from a storm
    like they broke into a locked or damaged store. Geat real.

  11. On 30 Aug 2005 09:55:20 -0700, "RicodJour" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I thought you held yourself out to be the pillar of moral rectitude.
    >Nice to see you make exceptions.

    We don't have no pillars around here. We have piles, one place or
    another. Is that what you were looking for? You can get piles here.
    Don't know about the rectitude. We can only get to the 'rect' and then
    we diverge. No, I think you were thinking about another use group.

    Hell, we can't keep 'outrage' going for more than a few posts. Mostly
    we get to mildly pissed off and leave it at that. So if you mean the
    regulars, its pretty much piles, pissed off, with ocasional delusions
    of panache. No pillars or rectitude (much less pillars of moral
    rectitude). We're kind of the attitude without the attitude. That's
    not much, but when you got panache...

    So, hey, any bottles of bourbon in that stash?

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  12. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    Curtis L. Russell wrote:
    > On 30 Aug 2005 09:55:20 -0700, "RicodJour" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I thought you held yourself out to be the pillar of moral rectitude.
    > >Nice to see you make exceptions.

    > We don't have no pillars around here. We have piles, one place or
    > another. Is that what you were looking for? You can get piles here.
    > Don't know about the rectitude. We can only get to the 'rect' and then
    > we diverge. No, I think you were thinking about another use group.
    >
    > Hell, we can't keep 'outrage' going for more than a few posts. Mostly
    > we get to mildly pissed off and leave it at that. So if you mean the
    > regulars, its pretty much piles, pissed off, with ocasional delusions
    > of panache. No pillars or rectitude (much less pillars of moral
    > rectitude). We're kind of the attitude without the attitude. That's
    > not much, but when you got panache...
    >
    > So, hey, any bottles of bourbon in that stash?

    Thanks for the laugh!

  13. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:

    > Friend, all totaled, I have at least 15 friends who have lost their homes in
    > New Orleans. They and their children are now homeless, without jobs or
    > schools and you're pissing on about some booze that washed up from a storm
    > like they broke into a locked or damaged store. Geat real.

    It's not about you and me. I lived there from 1994-2000, so you're
    preaching to the choir. Everyone, whether they've lived there or not,
    lost a lot with that catastrophe. The looting is the least of the
    concerns. It's the violence that will come with it.

    And hurricane season isn't over by a long shot.

  14. On 30 Aug 2005 10:23:59 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >At the risk of being crass...is anyone really surprised this happened.
    >
    >Leviticus fortells the fate of the wicked. If you are going to have
    >your French Quarter and your San Francisco then you'll have your floods
    >and earthquakes.

    Crass isn't even among the terms for that little piece of 'cause and
    effect'. No need to be nasty about it - we'll just call it stupid. Now
    don't you have some other place to be? We can be crass on our own
    around here.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  15. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

  16. IMKen

    IMKen Guest

    Shoot to kill should have been issued. Allowing the situation to get out
    of control will be worse for the country than this terrible storm.

    Ken

  17. B. Lafferty wrote:

    > Friend, all totaled, I have at least 15 friends who have lost their homes in
    > New Orleans. They and their children are now homeless, without jobs or
    > schools and you're pissing on about some booze that washed up from a storm
    > like they broke into a locked or damaged store. Geat real.

    I've been too busy to even read a paper--(don't know why I'm posting
    here). I didn't realize this was such a disaster.
    My sympathies to your friends. I expect we'll be hearing about relief
    efforts.

    Steve

    --
    Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
    http://www.dentaltwins.com

  18. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Shoot to kill should have been issued. Allowing the situation to get out
    > of control will be worse for the country than this terrible storm.
    >
    > Ken

    Authorities in Louisiana have requested the imposition of marshal law. I
    suspect it will happen.

    > "RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> B. Lafferty wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Friend, all totaled, I have at least 15 friends who have lost their
    >>> homes in
    >>> New Orleans. They and their children are now homeless, without jobs or
    >>> schools and you're pissing on about some booze that washed up from a
    >>> storm
    >>> like they broke into a locked or damaged store. Geat real.

    >> It's not about you and me. I lived there from 1994-2000, so you're
    >> preaching to the choir. Everyone, whether they've lived there or not,
    >> lost a lot with that catastrophe. The looting is the least of the
    >> concerns. It's the violence that will come with it.
    >>
    >> And hurricane season isn't over by a long shot.

  19. RicodJour

    RicodJour Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:

    > Authorities in Louisiana have requested the imposition of marshal law. I
    > suspect it will happen.

    Marshal Law is a comic book superhero
    (http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/184023699X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg) and
    also, in another version, a movie starring Jimmy Smits.

    If you mean martial law, on that we agree. I don't see that they will
    have a choice.

  20. On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:34:55 -0700, h squared
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >well, now we know- if pennsylvania wasn't such an ass backward
    >religously fanatical shithole, who knows how many earthquakes and floods
    >it would be experiencing now???
    >
    >you're welcome,

    Guess the Johnstown flood took care of all the sinners.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...