New Orleans

B. Lafferty

Guest
With the Bucktown levee breach yesterday, all of the areas NO cyclists use
are now under water. A report this morning on nola.com noted that the
Plantation Coffee House is under 7 feet of water. The Plantation is/was one
of the favorite places for New Orleans cyclists to sit and socialize after a
ride. Plantation actually sits on high ground for its neighborhood. That
means most of the homes near it are probably totally submerged.

As Bayou St. John is flooding now, one of the best bicycle shops in NO, on
Toulouse Street is probably destroyed--Bayou Bicycles. Charlie and Kyle
Doer, Mark Manson and Alfred **** are some of the best lbs personnel you'll
ever meet.

Keep your fellow NO cyclists in your thoughts and prayers today and in the
coming weeks.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]...

> > As Bayou St. John is flooding now, one of the best bicycle shops in NO,
> > on
> > Toulouse Street is probably destroyed--Bayou Bicycles. Charlie and Kyle
> > Doer, Mark Manson and Alfred **** are some of the best lbs personnel
> > you'll
> > ever meet.
> >
> > Keep your fellow NO cyclists in your thoughts and prayers today and in
> > the
> > coming weeks.

> Should we accuse them of doping while we're at it?"

You're an ass.

"trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]...
>> B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
>> [email protected]...

>> > As Bayou St. John is flooding now, one of the best bicycle shops in NO,
>> > on
>> > Toulouse Street is probably destroyed--Bayou Bicycles. Charlie and
>> > Kyle
>> > Doer, Mark Manson and Alfred **** are some of the best lbs personnel
>> > you'll
>> > ever meet.
>> >
>> > Keep your fellow NO cyclists in your thoughts and prayers today and in
>> > the
>> > coming weeks.

>> Should we accuse them of doping while we're at it?"

> You're an ass.

The spirit of New Orleans survives. From Nola.com:

Two men surviving on generator power in the Lake Terrace neighborhood near
the Lake Pontchartrain levee still had a dry house, but they were watching
the rising water in the yard nervously. They were planning to head out to
retrieve a vast stash of beer, champagne and hard liquor they found washed
onto the levee.

B. Lafferty wrote:

> The spirit of New Orleans survives. From Nola.com:
>
> Two men surviving on generator power in the Lake Terrace neighborhood near
> the Lake Pontchartrain levee still had a dry house, but they were watching
> the rising water in the yard nervously. They were planning to head out to
> retrieve a vast stash of beer, champagne and hard liquor they found washed
> onto the levee.

You mean the spirit of looting...?

"RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty wrote:
>>
>> The spirit of New Orleans survives. From Nola.com:
>>
>> Two men surviving on generator power in the Lake Terrace neighborhood
>> near
>> the Lake Pontchartrain levee still had a dry house, but they were
>> watching
>> the rising water in the yard nervously. They were planning to head out to
>> retrieve a vast stash of beer, champagne and hard liquor they found
>> washed
>> onto the levee.

> You mean the spirit of looting...?

Absolutely not. It's like treasure washing up on the beach. Some people
like gold, others like Cuervo Gold.

I saw the Governor of Mississippi on TV this morning, and I had the
impression that he would have liked to issue a shoot to kill order for
looters.

B. Lafferty wrote:
> "RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > B. Lafferty wrote:
> >>
> >> The spirit of New Orleans survives. From Nola.com:
> >>
> >> Two men surviving on generator power in the Lake Terrace neighborhood
> >> near
> >> the Lake Pontchartrain levee still had a dry house, but they were
> >> watching
> >> the rising water in the yard nervously. They were planning to head out to
> >> retrieve a vast stash of beer, champagne and hard liquor they found
> >> washed
> >> onto the levee.

> > You mean the spirit of looting...?

> Absolutely not. It's like treasure washing up on the beach. Some people
> like gold, others like Cuervo Gold.

Cute, but a specious argument. Do you think that "vast stash" of
bottles just randomly floated together from all over the city? It was
obviously a liquor store's contents. It's also possible that the
nervousness was due to their talking to a reporter who was asking them
about their looting plans.

This from Wikipedia:
Reasons behind looting
Looting is often opportunistic. The apparent lapse in authority enables
people to believe that they won't be discovered or charged. Looting
also cascades through a group of people as one person believes that his
contribution to the crime is lessened because someone else is looting,
too. People may also believe that if the goods are not stolen, then
they will simply be wasted, and see their act as a lesser of two evils.
Finally, a looter may believe that if he doesn't steal the property, it
will simply be stolen by someone else and he will gain nothing from his
obedience. Looters are usually locals of the site of the disaster, and
as such, may have lost alot of their own property. This further
encourages them to steal as it is reducing the negative impact of the
disaster.

I thought you held yourself out to be the pillar of moral rectitude.
Nice to see you make exceptions.

At the risk of being crass...is anyone really surprised this happened.

Leviticus fortells the fate of the wicked. If you are going to have
your French Quarter and your San Francisco then you'll have your floods
and earthquakes.

"RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> B. Lafferty wrote:

>> > You mean the spirit of looting...?

>> Absolutely not. It's like treasure washing up on the beach. Some people
>> like gold, others like Cuervo Gold.

> Cute, but a specious argument. Do you think that "vast stash" of
> bottles just randomly floated together from all over the city? It was
> obviously a liquor store's contents. It's also possible that the
> nervousness was due to their talking to a reporter who was asking them
> about their looting plans.

Friend, all totaled, I have at least 15 friends who have lost their homes in
New Orleans. They and their children are now homeless, without jobs or
schools and you're pissing on about some booze that washed up from a storm
like they broke into a locked or damaged store. Geat real.

On 30 Aug 2005 09:55:20 -0700, "RicodJour" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I thought you held yourself out to be the pillar of moral rectitude.
>Nice to see you make exceptions.

We don't have no pillars around here. We have piles, one place or
another. Is that what you were looking for? You can get piles here.
Don't know about the rectitude. We can only get to the 'rect' and then
we diverge. No, I think you were thinking about another use group.

Hell, we can't keep 'outrage' going for more than a few posts. Mostly
we get to mildly ****** off and leave it at that. So if you mean the
regulars, its pretty much piles, ****** off, with ocasional delusions
of panache. No pillars or rectitude (much less pillars of moral
rectitude). We're kind of the attitude without the attitude. That's
not much, but when you got panache...

So, hey, any bottles of bourbon in that stash?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 30 Aug 2005 09:55:20 -0700, "RicodJour" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >I thought you held yourself out to be the pillar of moral rectitude.
> >Nice to see you make exceptions.

> We don't have no pillars around here. We have piles, one place or
> another. Is that what you were looking for? You can get piles here.
> Don't know about the rectitude. We can only get to the 'rect' and then
> we diverge. No, I think you were thinking about another use group.
>
> Hell, we can't keep 'outrage' going for more than a few posts. Mostly
> we get to mildly ****** off and leave it at that. So if you mean the
> regulars, its pretty much piles, ****** off, with ocasional delusions
> of panache. No pillars or rectitude (much less pillars of moral
> rectitude). We're kind of the attitude without the attitude. That's
> not much, but when you got panache...
>
> So, hey, any bottles of bourbon in that stash?

Thanks for the laugh!

B. Lafferty wrote:

> Friend, all totaled, I have at least 15 friends who have lost their homes in
> New Orleans. They and their children are now homeless, without jobs or
> schools and you're pissing on about some booze that washed up from a storm
> like they broke into a locked or damaged store. Geat real.

It's not about you and me. I lived there from 1994-2000, so you're
preaching to the choir. Everyone, whether they've lived there or not,
lost a lot with that catastrophe. The looting is the least of the
concerns. It's the violence that will come with it.

And hurricane season isn't over by a long shot.

On 30 Aug 2005 10:23:59 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>At the risk of being crass...is anyone really surprised this happened.
>
>Leviticus fortells the fate of the wicked. If you are going to have
>your French Quarter and your San Francisco then you'll have your floods
>and earthquakes.

Crass isn't even among the terms for that little piece of 'cause and
effect'. No need to be nasty about it - we'll just call it stupid. Now
don't you have some other place to be? We can be crass on our own
around here.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Shoot to kill should have been issued. Allowing the situation to get out
of control will be worse for the country than this terrible storm.

Ken

B. Lafferty wrote:

> Friend, all totaled, I have at least 15 friends who have lost their homes in
> New Orleans. They and their children are now homeless, without jobs or
> schools and you're pissing on about some booze that washed up from a storm
> like they broke into a locked or damaged store. Geat real.

I've been too busy to even read a paper--(don't know why I'm posting
here). I didn't realize this was such a disaster.
My sympathies to your friends. I expect we'll be hearing about relief
efforts.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

"IMKen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shoot to kill should have been issued. Allowing the situation to get out
> of control will be worse for the country than this terrible storm.
>
> Ken

Authorities in Louisiana have requested the imposition of marshal law. I
suspect it will happen.

> "RicodJour" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> B. Lafferty wrote:
>>>
>>> Friend, all totaled, I have at least 15 friends who have lost their
>>> homes in
>>> New Orleans. They and their children are now homeless, without jobs or
>>> schools and you're pissing on about some booze that washed up from a
>>> storm
>>> like they broke into a locked or damaged store. Geat real.

>> It's not about you and me. I lived there from 1994-2000, so you're
>> preaching to the choir. Everyone, whether they've lived there or not,
>> lost a lot with that catastrophe. The looting is the least of the
>> concerns. It's the violence that will come with it.
>>
>> And hurricane season isn't over by a long shot.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 11:34:55 -0700, h squared
<[email protected]> wrote:

>well, now we know- if pennsylvania wasn't such an ass backward
>religously fanatical shithole, who knows how many earthquakes and floods
>it would be experiencing now???
>
>you're welcome,

Guess the Johnstown flood took care of all the sinners.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...