NEW PACEMAKER

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by [email protected], Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Unlike 'uplbet' I have not yet had a check-up as my dual chamber
    pacemaker was fitted only on 17th July but already I have noticed
    that my heart rate is not steady all the time which is really what I
    expected it to be. This afternoon I noticed a short period of AF.
    Also, at night when lying down the rate is faster (100) than earlier
    in the day. Mostly it is steady but there are regular one off
    flip/flops, i.e. tick tock tick tock...flip/flop,tick/ tock and so
    on. Do you know what I mean? Before I left the hospital the
    cardiologist did mention, again, the possibility of ablating the AV
    node so I hope these observations. when I report them, will not lead
    to that. Diana

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:

    > Unlike 'uplbet' I have not yet had a check-up as my dual chamber
    > pacemaker was fitted only on 17th July but already I have noticed
    > that my heart rate is not steady all the time which is really what I
    > expected it to be. This afternoon I noticed a short period of AF.
    > Also, at night when lying down the rate is faster (100) than earlier
    > in the day. Mostly it is steady but there are regular one off
    > flip/flops, i.e. tick tock tick tock...flip/flop,tick/ tock and so
    > on. Do you know what I mean?

    Yes.

    > Before I left the hospital the
    > cardiologist did mention, again, the possibility of ablating the AV
    > node so I hope these observations. when I report them, will not lead
    > to that. Diana

    It shouldn't.

    God Bless,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. Complex592

    Complex592 Guest

    When you see your EP cardiologist. He will be able to interogate the pacemaker
    and see what is going on. He will have a record of those high rates and
    anything significant going on. Please realize that pacemakers are to regulate
    and protect you from having low rates and track your normal heart rhythm.,.
    With the exception of one or two none of them control the fast atrial
    rhythms.(antitachycardia pacing), for SVT, your fast rates will now be able to
    be controled with medication without fear that your heart rate will slow down
    and you will be symptomatic. Usually those with intermittant atrial
    fibrillation are on coumadin. As for ablation.....for atrial fib, it is not
    always successful. Atrial fibrillation occurs as a result of many foci firing
    from the atrium. Other than to ablate the AV node and make you pacer dependant
    for the rest of your life it would really be difficult to ablate the
    fibrillation. This is usually not done for short atrial fibrillation episodes.
    Atrial flutter in many cases can be mapped with EPS and the site that causes it
    ablated. Much safer and more specific. Give you MD a chance to adjust your
    medications. And please get your pacemaker checked reguarly as directed by you
    cardiologist. Hope I have helped.