New pads for old Dia-Comp Brakes?

Palisades

Jul 10, 2006
Hi, I am currently riding an old Cannondale road bike, with dia-comp components. Which I don't even know if they make anymore. The brakes are very shady, and if the air is damp at all they're stopping effectiveness goes to about 0. Because of this I feel I need to get some new pads, preferably some kool stop or equivalent pads that I can have some confidence in. That being said, I am not sure what pads will fit on my bike. I have one bad picture of the brakes, I will update this thread with a better picture of the actual pads later today. Can anyone tell me what brake pads would fit on this? On ebay I see kool stop pads for Shimano Ultegra, etc, will these pads fit? I understand this question will probably be pretty hard without a better picture. I'll make sure I get a better pic up tonight. Thanks guys.

ef296c80f772594ea3b1e8df5279b8dc-.jpg

Palisades said:
Hi, I am currently riding an old Cannondale road bike, with dia-comp components. Which I don't even know if they make anymore. The brakes are very shady, and if the air is damp at all they're stopping effectiveness goes to about 0. Because of this I feel I need to get some new pads, preferably some kool stop or equivalent pads that I can have some confidence in. That being said, I am not sure what pads will fit on my bike. I have one bad picture of the brakes, I will update this thread with a better picture of the actual pads later today. Can anyone tell me what brake pads would fit on this? On ebay I see kool stop pads for Shimano Ultegra, etc, will these pads fit? I understand this question will probably be pretty hard without a better picture. I'll make sure I get a better pic up tonight. Thanks guys.
Cane Creek's non-Tektro, single-pivot ROAD brake calipers have a DiaCompe heritage ...

Regardless, you can use almost any solid block SHIMANO ROAD brake pads (e.g., OLD-style 105 pads) or possible Shimano's cartridge brake pads will fit (if your brakes currently have cartridge pads).

You can buy entire pad assemblies ... brake pad holder & brake pad cartridge.

While you are deciding, get some ~80 grit sandpaper and knock the glaze off the brake pad's contact surface (REMOVE THE WHEELS, FIRST) ... brush the excess grit off the pads BEFORE using!

Palisades said:
Kool stop salmon continentals. Peter White cycles have them. The continentals are the exact same size as the Dia Comp blocks. You might be able to fit Thinline Koolstops. You need theaded posts.

Palisades said:

ef296c80f772594ea3b1e8df5279b8dc-.jpg

Get the Kool Stops (in the salmon). They will fit old Dia-compe brakes and work way better for wet than anything else out there. Most good local bike shops should have them. If they do not have the continental blocks to fit the dia-compe pad holders, you can also replace the whole shoe assembly, and then in the future just replace the pad parts.