new pages

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Penny S, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

  3. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:27:59 GMT "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much still
    > in
    > > progress. Are the photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm
    >
    > They're taking FOREVER to load, Penny, and I have cable.
    >
    > Bill "pics never DID come up" S.

    Jesus, Bill, will you ever learn?--That's what you get with cable. Those pages loaded in a
    snap with DSL.

    Sorry.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes ..._._

  4. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:47:26 GMT "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You a funny man, JS.
    >
    > Now go back to wherever you've been last few months :)
    >
    > Bill "totally over my DSL Hell" S.

    Dude, you have to get *away* from de PacHell, man.

    And go with a *real* DSL kompany, man.

    Heh.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes ..._._

  5. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much still
    in
    > progress. Are the photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback
    > appreciated.
    >
    > http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm
    >
    > penny

    I like the firstpage a lot. The simple layout works for me. However, and I'm getting picky, I
    thought the text against the irregular background was harder to read than it could be. May be you
    could make the font a little larger or the background plainer?

    The pics on the second page wouldn't entirely load for me. And the ones that did took ages. It
    seemed like a bandwidth issue. How good is your host? Even with small file sizes that page was a
    several hundred KB in size by the time you added up all those pictures. Maybe you could use
    thumbnails that people can click to get the larger picture instead?

    It's looking good. The riding looks great too!

    Westie

  6. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:12:36 -0800, "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much still in progress. Are the
    >photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback appreciated.
    >
    >http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm
    >
    >penny

    Looks nice, everything loaded in a snap for me. Thanks for making the effort!

    Peace, Bill

    :-]

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much still in progress. Are the
    > photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback appreciated.
    >
    > http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm

    I think they look good, though you need to encase yourself in much more plastic so you can look like
    one of Alastair Maxwell's dewbie pals.

    JD

  8. First off, good show. Nice stuff. I like simple presentation.

    A couple of suggestions. On my business website I used text boxes, but with a white background to
    aid in reading. It also adds some nice contrast to the page. Might be worth playing with.

    A few examples: http://www.dsloan.com/Auctions/A12/2WebA12.htm
    http://www.dsloan.com/Auctions/A12/78WebA12.htm

    There are a couple of empty boxes (i.e. across from "Rides:"). I would recommend only making text
    boxes when you have something to put in them.

    As far as photos go, I try to keep file sizes around 100k, but with some of the important maps i
    deal in, they have to be bigger or they look terrible.

    Keep tweaking and adding to it. The web is a dynamic medium, too many people put up a page and never
    tweak or add to it. ( I am sometimes guilty of that.) Keep it fresh and folks will come back. I have
    webalizer on my personal page (http://www.anthonysloan.com), which shows me where people are coming
    from, and how they are finding me. It is amazing what google can do for you. And sort of scary.
    Tuvalu I can understand, but Seychelles?

    So far the most search engine hits have come from the Karate Monkey. That rocks.

    Overall it looks quite nice, I look forward to seeing it evolve.

    Anthony

    penny s wrote:

    >OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much still in progress. Are the
    >photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback appreciated.
    >
    >http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm
    >
    >penny

  9. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "J'm Sm'th" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:27:59 GMT "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much still
    > > in
    > > > progress. Are the photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback
    > > > appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm
    > >
    > > They're taking FOREVER to load, Penny, and I have cable.
    > >
    > > Bill "pics never DID come up" S.
    >
    > Jesus, Bill, will you ever learn?--That's what you get with cable. Those pages loaded in a snap
    > with DSL.
    >
    > Sorry.

    You a funny man, JS.

    Now go back to wherever you've been last few months :)

    Bill "totally over my DSL Hell" S.

  10. Ok, OK, so this makes TWO mails in a day. But..... I didn't want to make negative comments in
    public, mainly because I loved the bike pages, and wish i had the energy right now to do something
    similar, but you do need a spell-checker in there a bit. And I need to learn ho to split sentences
    in to smaller chunks. ;-) Kee pup the good work, and don't listen to those who bitch about the pics
    not loading fast enough - they came in fine here, loading both pages and the Team Puke one all at
    once on a dial-up. They're just spoilt kids who expect instant gratification (and I'm jealous)

    Steve

  11. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    J'm Sm'th wrote:
    > On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:27:59 GMT
    >>>
    >> They're taking FOREVER to load, Penny, and I have cable.
    >>
    >> Bill "pics never DID come up" S.
    >
    > Jesus, Bill, will you ever learn?--That's what you get with cable. Those pages loaded in a snap
    > with DSL.
    >
    > Sorry.

    hmm, I"m building this thing w/dsl. time to resize?

    penny

  12. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Anthony Sloan wrote:
    > First off, good show. Nice stuff. I like simple presentation.
    >
    > A couple of suggestions. On my business website I used text boxes, but with a white background to
    > aid in reading. It also adds some nice contrast to the page. Might be worth playing with.

    thanks for the tips.

    > Keep tweaking and adding to it. The web is a dynamic medium, too many people put up a page
    > and never tweak or add to it. ( I am sometimes guilty of that.) Keep it fresh and folks will
    > come back.

    Well I already have a huge site, the in progress work isn't linked up yet. www.specialtyoutdoors.com

    will re size photos tho.

    Penny

  13. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    penny s wrote:
    > J'm Sm'th wrote:
    >> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:27:59 GMT
    >>>>
    >>> They're taking FOREVER to load, Penny, and I have cable.
    >>>
    >>> Bill "pics never DID come up" S.
    >>
    >> Jesus, Bill, will you ever learn?--That's what you get with cable. Those pages loaded in a snap
    >> with DSL.
    >>
    >> Sorry.
    >
    > hmm, I"m building this thing w/dsl. time to resize?
    >
    > penny

    Problem solved: I"d forgot to "web optimize" my photos, I resized them from the originals, then
    laoded the full size image into the coded size. D'oh. Should load much better now... I did re size
    the one large one.

    http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm

  14. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much still
    in
    > progress. Are the photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback
    > appreciated.
    >
    > http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm
    >
    > penny

    Size looks good to me. Loaded fast on my cable too. For the riverside pics, it would be nice to put
    comments with the pics. Nice simple layout too.

    bloocow

  15. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    news:p[email protected]...

    > "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much
    still
    > in
    > > progress. Are the photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback
    appreciated.

    > > http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm
    >
    > They're taking FOREVER to load, Penny, and I have cable.
    >
    > Bill "pics never DID come up" S.

    According to my local newspaper, at about 5am GMT on Sat 25 Jan 2003, there was a virus attack on
    worldwide internet services using email and web lasting up to 6 hrs so you might have been affected
    looking at the time you posted this msg.

    bloocow.

  16. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > penny s wrote:
    > > J'm Sm'th wrote:
    > >> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:27:59 GMT

    <snip>
    > Problem solved: I"d forgot to "web optimize" my photos, I resized them
    from
    > the originals, then laoded the full size image into the coded size. D'oh. Should load much better
    > now... I did re size the one large one.
    >
    > http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm

    Yep. That worked for me. I like the crossingbasalt pic. I didn't get it to load before.

    Westie

  17. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]ews.com...
    > penny s wrote:
    > > J'm Sm'th wrote:
    > >> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:27:59 GMT

    > >> Jesus, Bill, will you ever learn?--That's what you get with cable. Those pages loaded in a snap
    > >> with DSL.
    > >>
    > >> Sorry.
    > >
    > > hmm, I"m building this thing w/dsl. time to resize?
    > >
    > > penny
    >
    > Problem solved: I"d forgot to "web optimize" my photos, I resized them
    from
    > the originals, then laoded the full size image into the coded size. D'oh. Should load much better
    > now... I did re size the one large one.
    >
    > http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm

    Much, much better (although I think my previous problem may have been on my end, anyway -- original
    links loading better now, too).

    Bill "nice work, btw" S.

  18. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    bloocow wrote:
    > "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much still in progress. Are the
    >> photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback appreciated.
    >>
    >> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm
    >>
    >> penny
    >>

    > Size looks good to me. Loaded fast on my cable too. For the riverside pics, it would be nice to
    > put comments with the pics. Nice simple layout too.

    I thought about a lot of comments, etc. I may do captions if I can think of interesting things to
    say, but I'm not doing trail maps, descriptions or any of that stuff. They can figure it out for
    themselves. <g>

    Penny

  19. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > J'm Sm'th wrote:
    > > On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 06:27:59 GMT
    > >>>
    > >> They're taking FOREVER to load, Penny, and I have cable.
    > >>
    > >> Bill "pics never DID come up" S.
    > >
    > > Jesus, Bill, will you ever learn?--That's what you get with cable. Those pages loaded in a snap
    > > with DSL.
    > >
    > > Sorry.
    >
    > hmm, I"m building this thing w/dsl. time to resize?
    >
    > penny

    Hmm, on your 'bike.htm' page I'm still getting only one pic. Html problem or you just haven't linked
    'em yet? Other pics look good, the old man is still trying to get me over there, must bring my bike.

    BTW, what's up with this 'I"d' and 'I"m' thing???? :) Too many personalities?

    --
    Cameron

  20. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

    "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > bloocow wrote:
    > > "penny s" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >> OK, these new pages are not linked to my site yet and are very much still in progress. Are the
    > >> photos too big? I just built these for the heck of it, constructive feedback appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/riverside.htm
    > >>
    > >> penny
    > >>

    > > Size looks good to me. Loaded fast on my cable too. For the riverside pics, it would be nice to
    > > put comments with the pics. Nice simple layout too.
    >
    > I thought about a lot of comments, etc. I may do captions if I can think
    of
    > interesting things to say, but I'm not doing trail maps, descriptions or
    any
    > of that stuff. They can figure it out for themselves. <g>
    >
    > Penny

    I built my page in just a few minutes with Frontpage Express. Gag. Guess that's why the page is so
    blah. Plus I'm lazy. I just numbered the pics and put a descriptive table underneath.

    --
    If I crashed into a tree and nobody was around to hear me scream, did I really make a sound?

    Cameron http://home1.gte.net/res1ccvg/