New Park TM-1 Tensiometer is here!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Sheldon Brown, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. We've been waiting for months for these to arrive, but they're worth the wait! This unit seems
    considerably nicer than the Wheelsmith version, and a lot less expensive.

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools-h-z.html#tensiometers

    Sheldon "Shameless Commerce" Brown +----------------------------------------------+
    | If you wish in the world to advance, | Your merits you're bound to enhance; | You must stirr
    | it, and stump it, | And blow your own trumpet, | Or, trust me, you haven't a chance! | --W.S.
    | Gilbert |
    +----------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  2. Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > We've been waiting for months for these to arrive, but they're worth the wait! This unit seems
    > considerably nicer than the Wheelsmith version, and a lot less expensive.

    Do they look any better than the one they showed in Vegas? That one looked like a caliper from a
    five and dime. --Jim

  3. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Now if someone would market and sell a headset press for a lower price in the USA market I would be
    very happy. Like the Cyclus press offered in the EU for around 36 Euros. I have used one, and while
    not as nice s a Park, it is good enough for the home user.
    http://www.roseversand.de/cgi-bin/db2www.exe/rose_e.d2w/detail0?PRD_ID=11501

    news:[email protected]...

  4. "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Now if someone would market and sell a headset press for a lower price in the USA market I would
    > be very happy. Like the Cyclus press offered in the EU for around 36 Euros. I have used one, and
    > while not as nice s a Park, it is good enough for the home user.

    I know some folks who have purchased a two+ foot section of all-thread
    ( 5/8" or 3/4" maybe? ), two large brass washers, two large steel washers and two nuts. When used
    with a couple adjustable wrenches, they can work ok. Total cost, about $5. --Jim

  5. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Raymo853" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Now if someone would market and sell a headset press for a lower price in the USA market I would be
    >very happy. Like the Cyclus press offered in the EU for around 36 Euros. I have used one, and while
    >not as nice s a Park, it is good enough for the home user.
    >http://www.roseversand.de/cgi-bin/db2www.exe/rose_e.d2w/detail0?PRD_ID=11501

    Bicycle Research makes a very inexpensive headset press that seems to be adequate for most folks,
    though it's also quite easy to make one with a couple feet of threaded steel rod, a couple large
    nuts and a few washers (I "built" one of these for a grand total of about $4 for a friend of mine -
    you have to take it slow but it works quite well).