New Parts for GT Tequesta 1990

drthomas

Mar 12, 2009
Hi.

After having the frame, forks, handle bars and steerer powder coated, I am currently replacing the parts on the love of my life - my original MTB, being a 1990 GT Tequesta.

My question is this - has anyone got any suggestions for new replacement brakes (makes. models) for the original rear U brakes?

I don't want to spend a fortune, although don't want to buy cr*p either.

Feel free to suggest any manufacturers of new parts for other parts as well - I will be replacing headset, cranks, front / rear brakes and brake triggers, seat post, seat, etc.

I know I could buy a new bike for the price, but this is a sentimental favourite.

Cheers,

Dave.

Take a look at SHIMANO SLX as a possibility for your components ... either an FSA or Cane Creek headset ... the saddle depends on what YOU want ... the seatpost probably doesn't need to be changed.

U-BRAKES!?! I would see if I could fit 700c wheels in the frame WITH either V-brakes or Cantilevers on those bosses, otherwise, I'm not sure if you can change anything other than the pads.

You should be able to fit 700x42 tires in the frame without any problem ... that size tire should be fat enough for gravel & fire roads.