New Parts on Old Frame will they fit?

rumptis

Jul 25, 2004
I have a Giant Perigee that is probably 14-15 years old its a chromoly Frame. I was wonder if most new parts will fit on this frame? Forks, Stems, Seat Post,
Wheels and Derailleurs?

Thanks

rumptis said:
I have a Giant Perigee that is probably 14-15 years old its a chromoly Frame. I was wonder if most new parts will fit on this frame? Forks, Stems, Seat Post,
Wheels and Derailleurs?

Thanks

it's all doable. i have a 14 year old raleigh with reasonably current 9 speed parts on it. really, not much has changed in that time for road bikes except a few more gears and alternative frame materials. more stuff has changed on the MTB side with disc brakes and suspension systems.

some things make take more digging than others and here's my take:

- wheels and derailleurs shouldn't be an issue. if it was 7 speed, the current hubs are a few mm wider, but many a cro-mo frame has been stretched to accomodate them.

- seat-posts, also, come in many diameters and i'm sure you can find one to fit.

- forks/stems is where things are less straight-forward, but still doable. you probably have a threaded headset/fork. if you're upgrading to new components you probably want to go threadless. 1" forks were the standard back then, but 1 1/8" is more the norm now. 1" forks are still made, but a lot rarer, unless you want to go NOS. Cervelo, for example was using 1" forks until recently.

good luck.