New PB

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Goodman, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Today I managed to beat my personal best on my 'new' bike for my 10.5 mile commute to work by over a
    minute - under 37.5 min instead of 38.5 min set previously on my 'old' bike. Just a small
    meaningless personal victory but I thought I'd share it with you anyway. Of course I know 37.5min
    for 10.5 miles isn't that great, but considering the amount of other traffic, peds and traffic
    lights you get in London is not easy to acheive - at least not for me! Anyway I drew some
    satisfaction from a reasonably long stretch at over 30mph on the flat without the benefit of a
    downhill (well, it was only a v e r y slight incline) or drafting (well, only other cars, not a bus
    or anything like that) ;-). But what I want to know is, as new bikes are always supposed to be
    faster than old bikes, why did it take so long (4 months) before I managed to do it ;-)?

    Or could it be something to do with the fact that today, just for a change this morning, I tried
    something new - I put my cycling jersey on over the top of my b*b tights, so the straps weren't
    showing ;-)? I wondered whether this might avoid offending the PSF, but it was a bit itchy and even
    more sweaty than usual so I don't think I'll do it again!

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:04:31 -0000, "Richard Goodman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :)Today I managed to beat my personal best on my 'new' bike for my 10.5 mile )commute to work by
    :eek:ver a minute - under 37.5 min instead of 38.5 min set )previously on my 'old' bike. Just a small
    :meaningless personal victory but )I thought I'd share it with you anyway. Of course I know 37.5min
    :for 10.5 )miles isn't that great,

    Why not ? !!!

    :) )Or could it be something to do with the fact that today, just for a change )this morning, I
    :tried something new - I put my cycling jersey on over the )top of my b*b tights, so the straps
    :weren't showing ;-)? I wondered whether )this might avoid offending the PSF, but it was a bit itchy
    :and even more )sweaty than usual so I don't think I'll do it again! )

    I had a leisure ride of 11 miles and rated it as an hour. It has a couple and a half steep hills on
    it. Times varied from 55-75 min, the hour being the norm though. I did a PB of 42 minutes wearing
    socks, trainers, glasses and swimming trunks !
    --
    Comm again, Mike.

  3. \ Dave

    \ Dave Guest

    "pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:04:31 -0000, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > :)Today I managed to beat my personal best on my 'new' bike for my 10.5
    mile
    > :)commute to work by over a minute - under 37.5 min instead of 38.5 min
    set
    > :)previously on my 'old' bike. Just a small meaningless personal victory
    but
    > :)I thought I'd share it with you anyway. Of course I know 37.5min for
    10.5
    > :)miles isn't that great,
    >
    > Why not ? !!!
    >
    > :) )Or could it be something to do with the fact that today, just for a
    change
    > :)this morning, I tried something new - I put my cycling jersey on over
    the
    > :)top of my b*b tights, so the straps weren't showing ;-)? I wondered
    whether
    > :)this might avoid offending the PSF, but it was a bit itchy and even more )sweaty than usual so I
    > :don't think I'll do it again! )
    >
    > I had a leisure ride of 11 miles and rated it as an hour. It has a couple and a half steep hills
    > on it. Times varied from 55-75 min, the hour being the norm though. I did a PB of 42 minutes
    > wearing socks, trainers, glasses and swimming trunks !
    > --
    > Comm again, Mike.

    Did anyone get a photo!! ;-)

  4. "pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:04:31 -0000, "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > :)Today I managed to beat my personal best on my 'new' bike for my 10.5
    mile
    > :)commute to work by over a minute - under 37.5 min instead of 38.5 min
    set
    > :)previously on my 'old' bike. Just a small meaningless personal victory
    but
    > :)I thought I'd share it with you anyway. Of course I know 37.5min for
    10.5
    > :)miles isn't that great,
    >
    > Why not ? !!!

    Thanks. It does give a warm comfortable feeling when you get a reply, so you can feel that your
    message hasn't flopped completely failing to elicit a single response ;-).

    > :) )Or could it be something to do with the fact that today, just for a
    change
    > :)this morning, I tried something new - I put my cycling jersey on over
    the
    > :)top of my b*b tights, so the straps weren't showing ;-)? I wondered
    whether
    > :)this might avoid offending the PSF, but it was a bit itchy and even more )sweaty than usual so I
    > :don't think I'll do it again! )
    >
    > I had a leisure ride of 11 miles and rated it as an hour. It has a couple and a half steep hills
    > on it. Times varied from 55-75 min, the hour being the norm though. I did a PB of 42 minutes
    > wearing socks, trainers, glasses and swimming trunks !

    Hmm so was it the attire that made the difference do you think? ... wonder if the PSF has anything
    against swimming trunks on bikes ;-).

    Still, it does go to show you can mention PSF and b*bs in a message and _not_ attract a response, if
    you bury the remark at the end of (boring?) messages about PB's ;-). Maybe she's not so all-seeing
    after all! Or do her objections only apply to the short variety rather than the tight variety ;).

    Rich

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Or could it be something to do with the fact that today, just for a change this morning, I tried
    > something new - I put my cycling jersey on over the top of my b*b tights, so the straps weren't
    > showing ;-)? I wondered whether this might avoid offending the PSF, but it was a bit itchy and
    > even more sweaty than usual so I don't think I'll do it again!

    I *always* put my jersey on over my bibtights. I thought everyone did? It is a bit odd having to
    hitch up the straps through your jersey, but then I suspect the female half of the population are
    already well used to this...

    --
    [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ There's nae Gods, an there's
    precious few heroes but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal; And it's time now, tae

  6. On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:35:05 GMT, in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I *always* put my jersey on over my bibtights. I thought everyone did? It is a bit odd having to
    >hitch up the straps through your jersey, but then I suspect the female half of the population are
    >already well used to this...

    On a long ride with bibs underneath jersey it's much more difficult to have a wee ...
    --
    I remember when the internet was only in black & white. It only had a few pages but at least they
    all worked. Email: Put only the word "richard" before the @ sign.

  7. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Or could it be something to do with the fact that today, just for a change this morning, I tried
    > something new - I put my cycling jersey on over the top of my b*b tights, so the straps weren't
    > showing ;-)?

    That is as nature intended.

    > I wondered whether this might avoid offending the PSF,

    No. Apparently she can still detect the outline.

    > ... but it was a bit itchy and even more sweaty than usual so I don't think I'll do it again!

    You're supposed to use a wicking base layer under the straps. :)

    --
    Dave...

  8. "Richard Bates" <[email protected]e.clara.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:35:05 GMT, in <[email protected]>, Simon
    > Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I *always* put my jersey on over my bibtights. I thought everyone did? It is a bit odd having to
    > >hitch up the straps through your jersey, but then I suspect the female half of the population are
    > >already well used to this...
    >
    > On a long ride with bibs underneath jersey it's much more difficult to have a wee ...

    So true. So that's why the "how do you pee in b*bs" thread was started"? I was a bit puzzled by it,
    but now I see why some people could have problems if they habitually wear the straps on the inside
    ;-). Takes more time to get the straps off that way - accidents could happen.....

    Rich

  9. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:43:18 -0000, "\(t'other\) Dave"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :) )"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :)news:[email protected]... )> I had a leisure ride of 11 miles and rated it as
    :an hour. It has a )> couple and a half steep hills on it. Times varied from 55-75 min, the )> hour
    :being the norm though. I did a PB of 42 minutes wearing socks, )> trainers, glasses and swimming
    :trunks ! )> -- )> Comm again, Mike. ) )Did anyone get a photo!! );-)

    Nope !
    --
    Comm again, Mike.

  10. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:27:01 GMT, "Richard Goodman"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    :)"pmailkeey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :)news:[email protected]... )> I had a leisure ride of 11 miles and rated it as
    :an hour. It has a )> couple and a half steep hills on it. Times varied from 55-75 min, the )> hour
    :being the norm though. I did a PB of 42 minutes wearing socks, )> trainers, glasses and swimming
    :trunks ! ) )Hmm so was it the attire that made the difference do you think?

    No - it was more likely the mood (AKA adrenalin flow) that pushed me on. I wish I could control that
    - I rarely get energetic days - there was that one and one about 4 years ago where I was so hyper, I
    had to slow down because I was making myself feel sick, not beccause of tiredness !

    ... wonder
    :)if the PSF has anything against swimming trunks on bikes ;-).

    PSF ?

    :) )Still, it does go to show you can mention PSF and b*bs in a message and )_not_ attract a
    :response, if you bury the remark at the end of (boring?) )messages about PB's ;-). Maybe she's not
    :so all-seeing after all! Or do )her objections only apply to the short variety rather than the
    :tight variety );).

    ????
    --
    Comm again, Mike.