New Pedal-Based Power Meter

The best part is that this device might finally enable the world to understand what the heck N Crowley has been talking about with his linear pedalling style. :p

Looks cool. :cool:

Looks cool and I'm already a Speedplay user. As always, the devil is in the details. How the algorithm they develop samples/calculates/displays power is yet to be released. While I'm certainly interested in what these guys eventually release, I'll be holding on to my SRM for the time being.

Dave

dkrenik said:
I'll be holding on to my SRM for the time being.
Yup and me, my PT. I won't be an early adopter. I want to see some well executed head-to-head comparisons to PT or SRM first.

Yeah, I'll definitely be a late-adopter (probably never-adopter) on this one. Too many variables to be processed for my liking. I'll take the PTs conversion of hub torque and wheel speed and be done with it...

Pretty slick set-up if it works. However, I predict it goes the way of the iBike. Not takin' any bets though...

What about 'pedal float'??? I see it reducing a user's power readings versus using zero float pedals. I suppose there would a calculation to take that into account - more potential error introduced into the stream...

tonyzackery said:
What about 'pedal float'??? I see it reducing a user's power readings versus using zero float pedals. I suppose there would a calculation to take that into account - more potential error introduced into the stream...
Are you referring to "wasted forces"? There was a discussion about this on another forum including "degrees of freedom" and my recollection is that there aren't any "wasted forces". That if/when one tries to minimize these forces, it takes more energy than simply ignoring them. It is interesting that it would be possible to view these forces - not sure of the value though.

Dave

dkrenik said:
Are you referring to "wasted forces"? There was a discussion about this on another forum including "degrees of freedom" and my recollection is that there aren't any "wasted forces". That if/when one tries to minimize these forces, it takes more energy than simply ignoring them. It is interesting that it would be possible to view these forces - not sure of the value though.

Dave

I don't know for sure. I was referring to pedal float, which can be minimized simply by using zero float pedals rather than 5, 7, or 10 degree float pedals. This side-to-side rather than vertical movement/force would seem to me to cost some power in this application. I could be wrong, of course, as I'm no kinetic energy
expert.

Not to sidetrack this thread any further, as mentioned I'll be sticking with my wired PT for some time to come...

TSpec said:
50grams
ANT+
Reason to finally get speedplays
$1000

I like where this is headed...

Saw it at Interbike looks real promising. The fact that it's a Silicon Valley based company made up of athletes and techi's gives it some street cred. Eliminates much of the downstream variables of existing meters. Easy to transfer between bikes and independently measure's force from each leg. Bad thing is it sounds to good to be true.

frenchyge said:
The best part is that this device might finally enable the world to understand what the heck N Crowley has been talking about with his linear pedalling style. :p
:p

Speedplays are not for me I'm afraid, although I'd have to think about that some more.... as left/right data would be pretty fun to see.

I did a product review on zeros many years ago and didn't personally like pedaling with them. Even set to zero float was too wishy washy for me. But things are literally different now days.

As yet it's not tested in real world, so we'll see what comes of it.

If the accuracy is anywhere acceptable it is very interesting product because of the versatility. PT is easy enough (especially wireless) to move from a bike to another but you're restricted to one wheelset and if you want to have power on a disc wheel or a track bike...

Alex Simmons said:
Speedplays are not for me I'm afraid, although I'd have to think about that some more
First they are doing the "standard" Speedplays, then the Ti-spindled Speedplays and then their plan is to introduce a version for the Look Keo. I use the Keo and by that point we should know if it's a dud or not.

Bike N Ski said:
Saw it at Interbike looks real promising. The fact that it's a Silicon Valley based company made up of athletes and techi's gives it some street cred.
All of the power meters on the market came from entrepreneurial environments with a devoted geek or geeks.

Steve_B said:
All of the power meters on the market came from entrepreneurial environments with a devoted geek or geeks.
But needed appropriate sound business practices and backing to survive and/or flourish. Many similar products never made it to market, or failed after getting to market.

I wish them well.

I think it would be great to see some more competition in the power market. I agree that the ibike doesn't exactly deliver, and the Polar power unit has flaws with installation and reliability which have kept me from dropping $700 on it.

If this product comes in at just under the $1000 mark, it might be enticing enough to get decent market penetration - hopefully we'll have some idea of it's abilities by mid-season next year.

I'm curious if any teams are planning on testing this out in the field - a planned endorsement seemed to be the only thing missing from the website.

frenchyge said:
The best part is that this device might finally enable the world to understand what the heck N Crowley has been talking about with his linear pedalling style.

What are you having difficulty with, linear pedalling is a simple clever aerodynamic pedalling technique which applies maximal torque through 12 o'c, combines upper and lower body muscles, completely removes the lower back from all the stress and strain of high gear TT pedalling and was the basic technique which Anquetil used to fool the cycling TT world. This new device should clearly demonstrate and confirm that my claim of max torque through 12 o'c is genuine but it will not provide the slightest clue as to how this is accomplished. Unlike F Day's Powercrank's 40% power increase, this technique can be explained and demonstrated in less than half an hour.

n crowley said:
Unlike F Day's Powercrank's 40% power increase, this technique can be explained and demonstrated in less than half an hour.
Where? How? Please send a "You tube" or some such link so that we all might be enlightened.

Dave

n crowley said:
What are you having difficulty with, linear pedalling is a simple clever aerodynamic pedalling technique which applies maximal torque through 12 o'c, combines upper and lower body muscles, completely removes the lower back from all the stress and strain of high gear TT pedalling and was the basic technique which Anquetil used to fool the cycling TT world.

Heh, so we've heard. Well, for having perservered through all the skepticism, this new PM might finally give you your day in court. :)

JVattack said:
If this product comes in at just under the $1000 mark, it might be enticing enough to get decent market penetration - hopefully we'll have some idea of it's abilities by mid-season next year.
Agreed. If it comes in at a price point near the powertap or Quark, and has similar accuracy and durability, it will get solid market penetration.

JVattack said:
I'm curious if any teams are planning on testing this out in the field - a planned endorsement seemed to be the only thing missing from the website.

I doubt that a fledgling company will have a budget to get any pro tour team interest, but I could be wrong. Before that, I would expect that they would be best served by independent beta-testing by internet power geeks demonstrating the product to be reliable and accurate. :cool: