New pedaling technique

crees22

Dec 15, 2003
The last few times ive been out on my racer i have been experimenting with new ways to preserve energy, and yesterday really impressed myself. I allways used to pedal using quite a lot of leg pushing on the pedals thinking that it was the obvious thing to do, but now ive noticed that by just using the momentum of the pedals and not pushing so hard is really upping my energy levels without particually slowing me up. For the first time ever last night I knocked up 20miles in just over a hour and had so much energy in reserve that i done a 5 lap circuit around near my house that encounters a large climb and even after that I wasnt particually tired. Im well chuffed with myself and has motivated me to go out more often and join a club at some point. Have you got any pedaling techniques or changed your riding style to your advantage?

Chris

Not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean you're pedalling in "circles" more? Are you riding in a different gear?

cydewaze said:
Not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean you're pedalling in "circles" more? Are you riding in a different gear?

Its more the case of when riding on flats intead of using all my energy by really pedaling hard im just taking it more easy, i suppose your right by using slighty different gears. In general i have been using slighty lower gears and pedalling faster but with less effort, makes a massive difference when it comes to climbing hills as I have so much energy in reserve. Pedaling in circles... um. well im sort of pulling the pedals up aswell as pushing down alot more if thats what 'circles' mean.

crees22 said:
Its more the case of when riding on flats intead of using all my energy by really pedaling hard im just taking it more easy, i suppose your right by using slighty different gears. In general i have been using slighty lower gears and pedalling faster but with less effort, makes a massive difference when it comes to climbing hills as I have so much energy in reserve. Pedaling in circles... um. well im sort of pulling the pedals up aswell as pushing down alot more if thats what 'circles' mean.
i mainly focus on thr back half of my pedal stroke because naturally we push the pedal down...it helps alot

Sounds like you're just using more of a spinning technique? In other words using more of your body's aerobic potential, going less into an anearobic phase?

To maximize your performance while training doing some of each is best, lots of material out there on the specific benefit of interval/fartlek training.

izzodesh said:
i mainly focus on thr back half of my pedal stroke because naturally we push the pedal down...it helps alot

Same here. I try to concentrate (that is when I'm even paying attention to my pedal stroke :eek: ) on driving my knees towards the handlebar on the upstroke. The downstroke takes care of itself.

Sounds like the original poster is really just starting to develop a more efficient pedal stroke. Keep it up!

meehs said:
Same here. I try to concentrate (that is when I'm even paying attention to my pedal stroke :eek: ) on driving my knees towards the handlebar on the upstroke. The downstroke takes care of itself.

Sounds like the original poster is really just starting to develop a more efficient pedal stroke. Keep it up!

Seems to be going well, done a 10 mile constant up and down hill circuit last night, im amazed at just how easy i accomplished it though my lower back did play up. Ive been drinking bucket loads of water during the day over the last few days too, i would imagine that helps come the evening ride. Its funny going past the same old people outside their house on my made up circuit, get some right funny looks esspecially after the 5th/6th time round, love it!!

I'll have to try this one out. Sounds like a good idea. Challenging yourself by pedaling hard will push the limits but just going along will suffice for just getting it done. I like to constantly pedal with no breaks. Techniques? Standing, staying up on the bike I feel hits more muscles. It depends upon what you are trying to accomplish. Fitness or distance, one usually comes with the other if you keep at it.

JSWin said:
. Techniques? Standing, staying up on the bike I feel hits more muscles.
I sure hope he follows your advice if he hasn't improved in the last 14 years. :lol: