New pedals and saddle height

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Craig Williams, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. After changing from toe clips and straps to Speedplay Zero pedals, I wondered if there is a thumb
    rule for saddle height adjustment. I have used the 0.883 X crotch height rule in the past, but I'm
    sure it needs some tweaking when changing pedal/cleat/shoe comination.

    Thanks for any help in establishing a new starting point.

    Craig [change the VERB to a NUMERAL to reply directly]

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Craig Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > After changing from toe clips and straps to Speedplay Zero pedals, I wondered if there is a thumb
    > rule for saddle height adjustment. I have used the 0.883 X crotch height rule in the past, but I'm
    > sure it needs some tweaking when changing pedal/cleat/shoe comination.

    I think the .883 rule is +/- 1 or 2 cm anyway. If you change your shoes or pedals or even the
    thickness of the padding on your shorts, some adjusts may be in order. Many cyclists do raise their
    seats during the winter to account for the thickness of winter tights.

  3. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Craig Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
    > After changing from toe clips and straps to Speedplay Zero pedals, I wondered if there is a thumb
    > rule for saddle height adjustment. I have used the 0.883 X crotch height rule in the past, but I'm
    > sure it needs some tweaking when changing pedal/cleat/shoe comination.

    The problem with the 0.883 "rule" is that it doesn't even take crank length into account. There
    are many other variables such as shoe thickness, cleat/pedal stack height, foot size, and
    pedaling style. If your seat is too low, you may experience pain at the front of your knees. If
    it's too high, your hips will rock. Experiment with heights between those extremes to see what
    works best for you.

    Art Harris

  4. A bit late now, it seems, but the best approach would have been to measure from your seat along the
    seat tube down to the top of your old pedals, then match that distance to the new speedplays,
    accommodating for any differences in shoe/cleat thickness. Odds are the speedplays will require a
    slight reduction in seat and bar height to maintain your old position.

    SB

    "Craig Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After changing from toe clips and straps to Speedplay Zero pedals, I wondered if there is a thumb
    > rule for saddle height adjustment. I have
    used
    > the 0.883 X crotch height rule in the past, but I'm sure it needs some tweaking when changing
    > pedal/cleat/shoe comination.
    >
    > Thanks for any help in establishing a new starting point.
    >
    > Craig [change the VERB to a NUMERAL to reply directly]

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Craig Williams" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    > > After changing from toe clips and straps to Speedplay Zero pedals, I wondered if there is a
    > > thumb rule for saddle height adjustment. I have used the 0.883 X crotch height rule in the past,
    > > but I'm sure it needs some tweaking when changing pedal/cleat/shoe comination.
    >
    > I think the .883 rule is +/- 1 or 2 cm anyway. If you change your shoes
    or
    > pedals or even the thickness of the padding on your shorts, some adjusts
    may
    > be in order. Many cyclists do raise their seats during the winter to
    account
    > for the thickness of winter tights.

    Sure that's not LOWER the saddle? At least that's what I had to do...

    Mike

  6. What I recommend is (not my own but most proper saddle height techniques finish up as this).

    Sit square, no shoes. Pedal fully down. Bare foot parallel to ground. Heel should be about 5mm
    off pedal.

    Do this by supporting yourself against a wall and mess around until your heel touches. Then
    raise 5mm.

  7. cwilly-<< After changing from toe clips and straps to Speedplay Zero pedals, I wondered if there is
    a thumb rule for saddle height adjustment.

    Most clip and strap pedals have really close to the spindle design, so I would say just go ride-the
    fore-aft/in-out adjustment of the cleat is more important-