New pedals clicking

fauxpas

May 20, 2006
78_10.JPG

K, got new Shimano '07 model 105 PD-5600(Formerly RD-540?) pedals and they are not 2 weeks old. The left pedal is clicking when I get to the top of the pedaling cycle and comes and goes. I first thought it was the crank, then maybe my shoe or cleats, but I am sure its the pedal.

Even with little pressure, it clicks, but if I lift my foot to ensure it has no pressure, the click disappears. But as I said, it comes and goes.

When I get home, its fine. I play with the pedal as much as I can and push/pull the crank and whatever, but I can not reproduce the sound.

The bearins seem fine, as new, as you would imagine. Just the damn clicking comes and goes.

You or the bike shop might need to overhaul the pedals. From the factory they come with less grease then they should come with. And the factory can do so much to keep foreign objects out.

My Dura Ace pedal made a weird sound just by spinning it, without me even on the bike. I then overhauled and packed with a lot of grease, and everything is fine now.

But remember, it could be something else.......

It could also be that there is not enough tension and the cleat is moving forward and bacwards, or event that the cleat is loose on the shoe.

As per free-rideman, get the LBS to check it out.

Been checking the cleat screw tension since I got it as my last SPD cleats dropped a screw very quickly, so I been paranoid.

I did have the pedal tension on lowest setting, till I got used to uncleating, but found it OK even on the lowest tension.

I'll give her a tighten before my ride tomorrow. Its more irritating than anything else, as I know the bearings are fine.

fauxpas said:
Been checking the cleat screw tension since I got it as my last SPD cleats dropped a screw very quickly, so I been paranoid.

I did have the pedal tension on lowest setting, till I got used to uncleating, but found it OK even on the lowest tension.

I'll give her a tighten before my ride tomorrow. Its more irritating than anything else, as I know the bearings are fine.
I had a clicking due to the the tension been too low.

I have older 105s and my right pedal makes a clicking noise. The noise is only with the cleat enguaged. Tension seems to be the general answer so I try that. The clicking drives me crazy!

fauxpas said:
78_10.JPG

K, got new Shimano '07 model 105 PD-5600(Formerly RD-540?) pedals and they are not 2 weeks old. The left pedal is clicking when I get to the top of the pedaling cycle and comes and goes. I first thought it was the crank, then maybe my shoe or cleats, but I am sure its the pedal.

Even with little pressure, it clicks, but if I lift my foot to ensure it has no pressure, the click disappears. But as I said, it comes and goes.

When I get home, its fine. I play with the pedal as much as I can and push/pull the crank and whatever, but I can not reproduce the sound.

The bearins seem fine, as new, as you would imagine. Just the damn clicking comes and goes.
Probably not your problem, but I had a friend with the same noise with what he thought was coming from his left Dura-Ace pedal , at the top of the left pedal stroke. Was impossible to find anything wrong with his pedal. Finally found it was coming from between his seat and seat rails, when he rocked his waist to the right.

Its so ****ling, I'm open to any theory, as I originally thought it may have been crank, as the pedal was only 7-14 days old.

Now, I'm leaning a lot more toward cleat tension, as the more I concentrate on the click, the more I feel its not coming from the pedal bearings, but between pedal and shoe.

Throw on a regular pair of shoes and I get no noise what so ever. Clip in with my cycling shoes and click,click,click away. I'm going to play with the tension tonight to see if it helps.

backtobiking said:
Throw on a regular pair of shoes and I get no noise what so ever. Clip in with my cycling shoes and click,click,click away. I'm going to play with the tension tonight to see if it helps.
It didn't help. It seems worse for me. Now both sides are doing it. I think it is the new shimono shoes. I put alot of force down to the pedals as heavy as I am and all. Expecially when I climb. Like the soles of the shoes are cracking or something. Rather annoying. What can it be?

There could be a problem with the cleat being mounted wrong to the shoe. Or something with the shoe sole itself.

free_rideman said:
There could be a problem with the cleat being mounted wrong to the shoe. Or something with the shoe sole itself.
+1 on this improper cleat location, you notice the cleats have a slight curvature, this needs to match the curvature on the soles (shimano shoes won't be a problem. You also need to do up the cleat super tight, so the tiny nipples on the shimano cleat embed themselves into the sole.

OK, tension didn't change a thing, and originally the cleat position didn't either. But what did make a difference was the plate with all the holes in the shoes's position inside the shoe.

I realised I was only moving the cleat around with the limited adjustment the cleat bolts and square washers gave... So I loosened them right up and moved the entire sliding metal plate forward and back and left them in their rearmost position, which is where I want it, under the ball of my foot and not near the toes.

Touch wood, no clicking for last 2 days... yippeeee...

Thanks for all the suggestions...

fauxpas said:
OK, tension didn't change a thing, and originally the cleat position didn't either. But what did make a difference was the plate with all the holes in the shoes's position inside the shoe.

I realised I was only moving the cleat around with the limited adjustment the cleat bolts and square washers gave... So I loosened them right up and moved the entire sliding metal plate forward and back and left them in their rearmost position, which is where I want it, under the ball of my foot and not near the toes.

Touch wood, no clicking for last 2 days... yippeeee...

Thanks for all the suggestions...
I'll give that a try. So far I haven't scene any results with anything I have tried.

backtobiking said:
I have older 105s and my right pedal makes a clicking noise. The noise is only with the cleat enguaged. Tension seems to be the general answer so I try that. The clicking drives me crazy!
+1 but i tried all tensions. Now I am looking for a new set. They are the most irritating thing, cause when you try to sprint, the front riders hear click clICK CLICK and have already reacted.