New pedals...how do they work?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gravelmuncher, Jan 3, 2004.

  1. First let me throw in some seasons greetings. Watch out for returning
    traffic people...they get pretty messy when they're on their way home.

    Xmas day presented me with some brand new Look PP-396 pedals. I've got
    them on the crank arms, but I'm just wondering how to go about setting
    them up as the booklet kinda didn't tell me much. What's the little
    yellow dial do, with the 0-3-6-9 stuff? And the hex screw? I know
    they've both got something to do with tension adjustment, but some
    correspondence from users would help heaps.

    Once again, keep in mind the tired, sunburned, traffic scarred car
    driver heading home with little else in mind than going back to work.

    ~j~

  2. "gravelmuncher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Xmas day presented me with some brand new Look PP-396 pedals. I've got
    > them on the crank arms, but I'm just wondering how to go about setting
    > them up as the booklet kinda didn't tell me much. What's the little
    > yellow dial do, with the 0-3-6-9 stuff? And the hex screw? I know
    > they've both got something to do with tension adjustment, but some
    > correspondence from users would help heaps.

    I have a few pairs of these, nice pedals.
    The 0-3-6-9 dial is to adjust the 'float' of the cleat (when used with the
    red coloured ARC look cleats) measured in degrees.
    ie. when it's on '0' your foot can't move from side to side and when on 9 it
    has a fair degree of float. When you turn the dial it pokes a litle tang
    out further into the back part of your cleat, preventing sideways movement.
    Although the float can be somewhat negated if you up the spring release
    tension (the allen screw underneath). This is the sideways force you must
    exert for it to let your foot out.

    They come set at the minimum setting, which is actually the same as a lot of
    the other look's pedals maximum setting! I would get used to them on this
    setting, and if you're able to pull your foot starting at the lights or in a
    sprint, then tighten the allen screw up, it is notched at 1/3 or a turn,
    count them in case you want to put them back to how they were. I have
    spoken to a few people who have used other look pedals who have found the
    spring tension a bit much for them in this model! (FWIW, the 11-16 written
    on the pedal body is 11-16kNm, a lot of the other model look pedals have a
    max setting of 11)

    Hope this helps
    Gemma

  3. Thanks Gemma, that's just what I needed. Why can't they say it like that
    in the manual?

    --

  4. Etxy

    Etxy Guest

    Because Look pedals are french and their manufacturers, by definition
    perverse. ;

    /ar

    -