new pedals on old campagnolo crank

dan_s

Guest
just bought a lovely steel three arm campagnolo crankset. it's stamped
9/16x20f near the hole for the pedals. however MKS sylvan pedals won't
fit.
is it a different angle of the threads?
is there an easy way to make the MKS or any other standard pedals to
fit?

other peculiarities (for me at least) are that a parktool crankarm
extractor too will not thread in. luckily i got a no-name extractor
which does fit, and that the the crankarm locking screw is 15mm, but a
standard 15mm socket drive is too big for the dust cap hole.
whrere can i find a socket drive suitable for this crank?

thanks
dan

dan_s wrote:
> just bought a lovely steel three arm campagnolo crankset. it's stamped
> 9/16x20f near the hole for the pedals. however MKS sylvan pedals won't
> fit.
> is it a different angle of the threads?
> is there an easy way to make the MKS or any other standard pedals to
> fit?

My old Nuovo Record cranks are the same way- it takes a lot of force to
thread my (Shimano) pedals on. I think the threads are of a slightly
different shape. You might want to run a tap through them to make sure
there's no burrs in them.

> other peculiarities (for me at least) are that a parktool crankarm
> extractor too will not thread in. luckily i got a no-name extractor
> which does fit, and that the the crankarm locking screw is 15mm, but a
> standard 15mm socket drive is too big for the dust cap hole.
> whrere can i find a socket drive suitable for this crank?
>
> thanks
> dan

Better sockets have thinner walls. My Snap-On socket fits fine. A
Craftsman socket should be OK, too.

Jeff

dan_s wrote:
> just bought a lovely steel three arm campagnolo crankset. it's stamped
> 9/16x20f near the hole for the pedals. however MKS sylvan pedals won't
> fit.
> is it a different angle of the threads?
> is there an easy way to make the MKS or any other standard pedals to
> fit?
>
> other peculiarities (for me at least) are that a parktool crankarm
> extractor too will not thread in. luckily i got a no-name extractor
> which does fit, and that the the crankarm locking screw is 15mm, but a
> standard 15mm socket drive is too big for the dust cap hole.
> whrere can i find a socket drive suitable for this crank?
>
> thanks
> dan

If you have the double sided Park extractor be sure that you're not
using the TA size extractor. The crank peadl and extractor treads are
standard. Do you have French thread pedals by some chance? If not run a
pedal tap through the holes and you'll be OK. You are aware that you
have collector's itewm cranks with an oddball chainring size, don't
you?
Phil Brown

> If you have the double sided Park extractor be sure that you're not
> using the TA size extractor.

it's a single side tool that i used with no problems on shimano cranks.
fitted to a sugino super mighty but not a sugino maxy. go figure...

> standard. Do you have French thread pedals by some chance?

probably not because the diameter is the same on the arm and pedals.
AFAIK french pedals spindles have a different diameter

> have collector's itewm cranks with an oddball chainring size, don't
> you?

three holes 101BCD is definitely oddball

dan_s wrote:
> just bought a lovely steel three arm campagnolo crankset. it's stamped
> 9/16x20f near the hole for the pedals. however MKS sylvan pedals won't
> fit.
> is it a different angle of the threads?
> is there an easy way to make the MKS or any other standard pedals to
> fit?

That is correct and go to a decent bike shop with a tap and have them
tap the pedal threads..won't hurt anything and will allow the MKS or
anyother pedal to work.

> other peculiarities (for me at least) are that a parktool crankarm
> extractor too will not thread in. luckily i got a no-name extractor
> which does fit, and that the the crankarm locking screw is 15mm, but a
> standard 15mm socket drive is too big for the dust cap hole.
> whrere can i find a socket drive suitable for this crank?

Thin walled from Craftsman work on my 3 armed crank...aluminum
one(GranSport from the 70s).

JeffWills wrote:

> Better sockets have thinner walls. My Snap-On socket fits fine. A
> Craftsman socket should be OK, too.

Not in my case with a set of vintage SR cranks with 14mm bolts.
Craftsman socket was still too thick. I stopped by the local REI and
asked if they had a thinwalled crank bolt wrench, and the guy at the
work stand said, "don't waste your money, bring me a 14mm socket and
I'll grind it for you." How's that for honest? I ground it myself, and
it's likely not very strong now, but strong enough for my needs.

"dan_s" <[email protected]> writes:

>just bought a lovely steel three arm campagnolo crankset. it's
>stamped 9/16x20f near the hole for the pedals. however MKS sylvan
>pedals won't fit. is it a different angle of the threads?

I have the same problem with modern MKS pedals on vintage stronglight
93 cranks (marked 9/16). Make sure the threads are greased. I'm
pretty certain its an issue with modern MKS sylvan pedals having
threads that are just a little bit "too beefy".

I managed the get the pedals on, but just barely.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

I'm
> pretty certain its an issue with modern MKS sylvan pedals having
> threads that are just a little bit "too beefy".

the pedals are way too beafy for this crank. i'll probably have to
retap as mr Qui si wrote