New Pedals: Should I get Lance's Shimano pedals?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tk, May 22, 2003.

  1. Tk

    Tk Guest

    I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
    opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    You probabaly just need new cleats.

    >I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
    >opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

    sounds more like you are trying to kil them and yourself. Your cleats are probably worn, and that is
    causing your problem. $15 and a new pair of cleats later you and your buddies should be on good
    terms once again.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
    >opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

    Any thoughts on why you are pulling out? The only problems I have had with pull out has been when
    riding with cleats worn past the wear indicators.

    jon isaacs

  5. On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:06:41 +0000, TK wrote:

    > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
    > opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

    How about new cleats?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
    -- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies
    are
    > ready to kill me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time
    > ....? Thanks!

    New Look cleats, perhaps?

  7. Allan Leedy

    Allan Leedy Guest

    You'll get a lot of nonsense here about new cleats. What you need is a NEW BIKE.

    "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies
    are
    > ready to kill me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time
    > ....? Thanks!

  8. Kw Mui

    Kw Mui Guest

    I too had this problem with my Look carbon model pedal. Change cleats and still had a problem. Close
    inspection of the pedal revealed that the front portion of the pedal was worn out. If yours is a
    aluminum model, it may be the same problem. I had to change pedals.

    Regards, KW Mui

    "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
    > opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

  9. Han

    Han Guest

    DiabloScott <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tk wrote:
    > > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me.
    > > Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!
    >

    > You probabaly just need new cleats.

    Right... But... Shimano SPD SL... the best there is! Thank you, Lance.

  10. Matt Locker

    Matt Locker Guest

    --------------070509080607030203060802 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

    I have never pulled out of my old Shimano Look-style pedals, no matter how worn the cleat. Look at
    most any older Look pedal (and even some of the newer ones) - there is nothing to stop a rearward
    pull. Maybe new cleats just make it too hard to get past that point while old worn cleats allow it.
    The old Shimano & I believe most of the newer Look pedals have stops to prevent that - it's the
    rear-most part of the main pedal body at the outer corners.

    MOO, Matt

    David L. Johnson wrote:

    >On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:06:41 +0000, TK wrote:
    >

    >>I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
    >>opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!
    >>

    >How about new cleats?

    --------------070509080607030203060802 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    </head> <body> I have never pulled out of my old Shimano Look-style pedals, no matter how worn the
    cleat. Look at most any older Look pedal (and even some of the newer ones) - there is nothing
    to stop a rearward pull. Maybe new cleats just make it too hard to get past that point while
    old worn cleats allow
    it. The old Shimano & I believe most of the newer Look pedals have stops to prevent
    that - it's the rear-most part of the main pedal body at the outer corners.<br> <br>
    cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:06:41
    +0000, TK wrote:

    basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New
    about new cleats?

    --------------070509080607030203060802--

  11. Tk

    Tk Guest

    HA HA!!! They are aluminum. The cleats are still relatively new from the end of last season. I think
    I've found the culprit and will check the old ones tonight. Thanks!!! Tony "KW Mui"
    > I too had this problem with my Look carbon model pedal. Change cleats and still had a problem.
    > Close inspection of the pedal revealed that the front portion of the pedal was worn out. If yours
    > is a aluminum model, it may be the same problem. I had to change pedals.
    >
    > Regards, KW Mui
    >
    > "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies
    are
    > > ready to kill me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....?
    > > Thanks!

  12. Forget new pedals, forget new cleats Dont get a new bike.

    You need to find some new buddy's. ;-3)

  13. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Matt Locker <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have never pulled out of my old Shimano Look-style pedals, no matter how worn the cleat.

    I was riding with a MTBer buddy of mine on road bikes a while ago. I had been riding SPDs
    exclusively for months, but switched to my Look pedals just before this ride. I was explaining to
    him just how solidly connected I was with the Look pedals, and how impossible it was to pull out. Of
    course, I almost immediately pulled out of one pedal - then a couple minutes later, the other.

    I had forgotten about having to walk back to the start of the time trial I had flatted in (1.36
    miles out). D'Oh...

    So yes, it IS possible to wear the cleats out to the point you can easily pull out (but to be fair,
    the "noses" were almost entirely gone on the cleats).