New Pedals: Should I get Lance's Shimano pedals?

Tk

Guest
I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

Originally posted by Tk
I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

You probabaly just need new cleats.

>I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
>opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

sounds more like you are trying to kil them and yourself. Your cleats are probably worn, and that is
causing your problem. $15 and a new pair of cleats later you and your buddies should be on good
terms once again.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

>I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
>opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

Any thoughts on why you are pulling out? The only problems I have had with pull out has been when
riding with cleats worn past the wear indicators.

jon isaacs

On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:06:41 +0000, TK wrote:

> I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
> opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!

How about new cleats?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
-- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

You'll get a lot of nonsense here about new cleats. What you need is a NEW BIKE.

"TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies
are
> ready to kill me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time
> ....? Thanks!

I too had this problem with my Look carbon model pedal. Change cleats and still had a problem. Close
inspection of the pedal revealed that the front portion of the pedal was worn out. If yours is a
aluminum model, it may be the same problem. I had to change pedals.

Regards, KW Mui

DiabloScott <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tk wrote:
> > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me.
> > Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!
>

> You probabaly just need new cleats.

Right... But... Shimano SPD SL... the best there is! Thank you, Lance.

--------------070509080607030203060802 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

I have never pulled out of my old Shimano Look-style pedals, no matter how worn the cleat. Look at
most any older Look pedal (and even some of the newer ones) - there is nothing to stop a rearward
pull. Maybe new cleats just make it too hard to get past that point while old worn cleats allow it.
The old Shimano & I believe most of the newer Look pedals have stops to prevent that - it's the
rear-most part of the main pedal body at the outer corners.

MOO, Matt

David L. Johnson wrote:

>On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:06:41 +0000, TK wrote:
>

>>I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any
>>opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....? Thanks!
>>

>How about new cleats?

--------------070509080607030203060802 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

</head> <body> I have never pulled out of my old Shimano Look-style pedals, no matter how worn the
cleat. Look at most any older Look pedal (and even some of the newer ones) - there is nothing
to stop a rearward pull. Maybe new cleats just make it too hard to get past that point while
old worn cleats allow
it. The old Shimano & I believe most of the newer Look pedals have stops to prevent
that - it's the rear-most part of the main pedal body at the outer corners.<br> <br>
cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">On Thu, 22 May 2003 17:06:41
+0000, TK wrote:

basis and my riding buddies are ready to kill me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New
about new cleats?

--------------070509080607030203060802--

HA HA!!! They are aluminum. The cleats are still relatively new from the end of last season. I think
I've found the culprit and will check the old ones tonight. Thanks!!! Tony "KW Mui"
> I too had this problem with my Look carbon model pedal. Change cleats and still had a problem.
> Close inspection of the pedal revealed that the front portion of the pedal was worn out. If yours
> is a aluminum model, it may be the same problem. I had to change pedals.
>
> Regards, KW Mui
>
> "TK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm pulling out of my old Looks on a regular basis and my riding buddies
are
> > ready to kill me. Any opinions: Shimano... Campy... New Looks... Speedplays... New Time ....?
> > Thanks!

Forget new pedals, forget new cleats Dont get a new bike.

You need to find some new buddy's. ;-3)

Matt Locker <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have never pulled out of my old Shimano Look-style pedals, no matter how worn the cleat.

I was riding with a MTBer buddy of mine on road bikes a while ago. I had been riding SPDs
exclusively for months, but switched to my Look pedals just before this ride. I was explaining to
him just how solidly connected I was with the Look pedals, and how impossible it was to pull out. Of
course, I almost immediately pulled out of one pedal - then a couple minutes later, the other.

I had forgotten about having to walk back to the start of the time trial I had flatted in (1.36
miles out). D'Oh...

So yes, it IS possible to wear the cleats out to the point you can easily pull out (but to be fair,
the "noses" were almost entirely gone on the cleats).