New pedals - which ones...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fahel

I currently have Wellgo R4 pedals on a Giant OCR1 bike and am looking at updating. I do about 3-4K a
year and am basically a recreational rider.

Looking at a budget under A$200, what do u recommend?

--
Regards, FaHeL __o -\<, ( ) / ( )

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.431 / Virus Database: 242 - Release Date: 17/12/2002

I like Beebops and Eggbeaters. Both are bombproof, fairly inexpensive, and have plenty of float.
Don't look for consensus on this one - a personal preference. - Bill "FaHeL" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I currently have Wellgo R4 pedals on a Giant OCR1 bike and am looking at updating. I do about 3-4K
> a year and am basically a recreational rider.
>
> Looking at a budget under A$200, what do u recommend?
>
> --
> Regards, FaHeL __o -\<, ( ) / ( )
>
>
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.431 / Virus Database: 242 - Release Date: 17/12/2002

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 21:18:25 +1100, "FaHeL" <[email protected]> wrote:

>what do u recommend?

You'll get at least one person recommending every single pedal on the planet :)

Me, I like Looks for fast upright bikes, SPD/platform dual thingies on the MTB and SPDs on the
recumbent (although that's really by default). Looks have been good for me since I first went
clipless; I now have them cranked up to minimal float and can really power uphill.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

"FaHeL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I currently have Wellgo R4 pedals on a Giant OCR1 bike and am looking at updating. I do about 3-4K
>

LANCE certified Dura-Ace SPD pedals.

There are as many answers as there are pedals. I 'm back to Look after a few seasons on spd based
pedals. The new Time Impacts look interesting and have gotten good press reviews.

Brian Lafferty

>
>
> --
>
>
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 21:18:25 +1100, "FaHeL" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I currently have Wellgo R4 pedals on a Giant OCR1 bike and am looking at updating. I do about 3-4K
>a year and am basically a recreational rider.
>
>Looking at a budget under A$200, what do u recommend?

Have you narrowed your pedal choices by deciding what kind of shoes you would like to wear, or
currently use? When I was deciding which pedals I wanted, I started off with the requirement of
having SPD-compatible shoes for easier walking, which of course dictates certain choices in pedals.
I honestly don't know how people can tolerate walking with Look or SPD-R type cleats on road shoes,
and no matter what you're going to end up on foot at some point. I'm very happy with my combination
of Sidi Bullet shoes and Time ATAC Alium pedals.

Greg

>
>
> --

I think there is something to be said for going with a system with which you are familiar. Why
relearn something unless absolutely necessary? I just bought a new LeMond Zurich and although I
could have simply installed my 17
y.o. old Looks - still smooth and functional - I decided on new pedals and after some consideration
decided there was no real benefit to me to changing systems so went with a new pair of Look
PP396 pedals. The big decision then was which color and for my blue and silver Zurich, the ones
in Team Kelme colors cordinate fabulously! They're also probably still available on eBay for
about US$70 + shipping.

Time equipe all day long

FaHeL <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>
> --
>
>
>
>
> ---

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
>
> On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 21:18:25 +1100, "FaHeL" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >what do u recommend?
>
> You'll get at least one person recommending every single pedal on the planet :)

Naturally. Every pedal has at least one buyer, and everybody thinks what they use is best. If they
didn't they'd switch.

But Frogs really ARE best -- that's what I use. :)

Pat
--
Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant. Correct email address like pdlamb
'round-about comcast point net.

On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 18:41:00 GMT, "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote:

>LANCE certified Dura-Ace SPD pedals.

So because they paid him to endorse them, that makes them good? :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 18:41:00 GMT, "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >LANCE certified Dura-Ace SPD pedals.
>
> So because they paid him to endorse them, that makes them good? :)

Exactly. A silly question deserves like in response. (Lance was practically FORCED to give up his
old Times? for the much lighter, and more modern Shimano's)

-Ken
>
> Guy
> ===
> ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
> dynamic DNS permitting)
> NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
> work. Apologies.

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Wed, 01 Jan 2003 18:41:00 GMT, "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >LANCE certified Dura-Ace SPD pedals.
> >
> > So because they paid him to endorse them, that makes them good? :)
>
> Exactly. A silly question deserves like in response. (Lance was practically FORCED to give up his
> old Times? for the much lighter, and more modern Shimano's)
>
> -Ken

Ken, Lance has always used the Shimano Dura Ace PD7401 (Look style pedal) Very heavy but a secure
pedal and one that most people that rode it swore was much better than anything that Look has made.
A year or so ago while Lance was making his bike lighter and lighter one of his mechanics said "why
do you have this light bike and those clunky pedals" That is when Shimano was approached to make the
new pedal. I don't really think that Lance gets paid by Shimano to ride or endorse them. Shimano
does supply the USPS with their grouppos and I think that is as far as the endorsement goes, I
believe that most of the team rode the new pedal throughout 2002. Has anyone seen a "specific" pedal
advertisement with Lance in the photo endorsing it? Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.