New Pedals

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by isdsms, Sep 27, 2003.

?

What brand of pedals do you use?

1. Shimano

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Look

198 vote(s)
    52.7%
  3. Time

137 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. Speedplay

42 vote(s)
    11.2%
  1. isdsms

isdsms New Member

I been thinking about putting new clipless pedals on my bike. (I've been using mb pedals.) I was looking at the shimano PD-R600 and think that would be a good choice for me. Does anyone have any experience with these pedals? Any other suggestions?

Tags:

2. Cletus75

Cletus75 New Member

I'm using the R535's (105 version) and have found them to be just fine. Little bit of getting used to after my Look's, as the front hook is a little smaller and thus harder to find when clipping in. The rubber boots around the cleats are a great idea too - my place has polished wooden floors and there was no walking inside at all with the Look cleats, now I can at least put the shoes on before stepping outside.

3. rek

rek New Member

The R600 pedals are great, I have them myself.

4. EastCoast

EastCoast New Member

I use LOOK pedals and love them!

Currently have the LOOK PP357's

5. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I love Speedplay. They're distinctive and not necessarily for everyone, but I think they're a perfect choice for someone who's not particularly married to the feel of SPDs or Looks. For those folks, the float is often too much; otherwise, it's lovely. Easy on the knees and ankles.

They're also preciously small and light, and the dual-sided entry makes them user-friendly. Reasonably priced, too. The low-end X3s (about $99 most places) have the same actual clipping mechanism as the higher-end X1s; they're just a touch heavier and they don't have as high-tech a spindle-bearing system.

6. rollers

rollers New Member

speedplay all the way

I had looks on my previous road bike. Speedplays are a major step forward in pedal evolution.

7. percious

percious New Member

eggbeaters. The only way to clip in.

-percious

8. Cipher

Cipher New Member

I started with fixed Look, and after anything over 30 miles my knees would swell up with fluid. Switched to Time and it solved the problem! SpeedPlay now for the last 4 years and it's been a match made in heaven. I adjusted to the 'float' of SpeedPlays after the 1sr or 2nd ride, and never looked back. (Knees were torn up playing Hockey, but I'll never learn).

P.S. If you don't like all that float try the SpeedPlay ZERO system which allows you to dial in from 0 to 15 degrees of float.

9. xc_gumby

xc_gumby New Member

Time all the way! Since the new design is out, I don't reckon there's a better pedal about. In deference to all you speedplay users, they are light pedals. Cleats are a bit heavy/bulk though!

10. puma

puma New Member

I too love Time. You can't go wrong with these pedals. Off course, depending on how much you're spending, I'm sure you could find a nice pedal from any of the mentioned manufacturers.

11. drewski

drewski New Member

i used Time pedals for years. much better than looks (circa 1990) on my knees, but the auto-recentering float still put some stress on them. maybe i didn't have them dialed in right? speedplays took care of it.

oh, not sure where you get your info, but here's cleat weights for a 4-hole mounting:
    speedplay cleats: 62g
    time cleats: 107g

adapters for 3-hole mounting do narrow the gap:
    speedplay: 110g
    time: 119g (no "adapter" needed with new Impact system, but diff due to spacers to fit curved soles)

edit: of course, this info is from the Speedplay website! ;) couldn't find any cleat weight info on the Time site.

12. Ted B

Ted B New Member

I had Speedplays - didn't like that tiny circular platform. Almost made me feel like I had a 'hot spot' in the center of my foot.

Used Look PP396. Sturdy pedals, a bit heavy, but the Look bearings left a lot to be desired.

Went to Campy Record Pro-Fit - love them. Wasn't to humored about the fact that the spring on one pedal doesn't have quite the tension as the other, but that's been fixed for '04.

If I went to any other, I would probably do the Time Impact Ti. Unfortunately, it takes a fair amount of cash to do all this experimenting!

13. American_Lesion

American_Lesion New Member

I'm a former roadie and cyclocrosser turned MTB'er, and an avid poster on www.dirtragmag.com I've run LOOK pedals in the past, but I have to recommend Wellgo's SPD knock-offs. The road model is light, cheap, and attractive. It clips in and releases well. Probably the most for your money, by any account.

14. ewitz

ewitz New Member

If you really want to get the best, then there is only one option.

Shimano SPD-SL 7800's.

If these are too pricey work your way down the same product line. Ultegra SPD-SL pedals then 105 SPD-SL pedals. Avoid the SPD-R line as the interface between the cleat and pedal is to small.

This is my opinion after using clipless for the last 15 - 20 years. I have used them all and this is the pinnacle of the clipless development cycle so far.

15. drewski

drewski New Member

http://www.totalcycling.com has them for ~$156 (depending on current exchange rate (they are UK based, i believe)). w/ their $16 shipping, makes it $172.

i haven't tried the new Shimano stuff, but i haven't been disappointed with my Speedplays. ;)

16. xc_gumby

xc_gumby New Member

Not gonna argue, but I wonder if they are talking about the new cleats (quite a bit different to the old cleats).

I also *refuse* to believe that speedplay cleats are only 62g ;) :D

17. onstcroix

onstcroix New Member

i switched from shimano spd to look. got a pair of new, old stock 247 for $us75. added a pair of kool kovers (rubber cleat covers)$us10 and a pair of new, old style nike poggios for $us100. it's like adding a turbo charger. wow.

18. drewski

drewski New Member

the Time weights are for the Impact (current design) cleats as oposed to the Equipe cleats (old design) as i kinda mentioned when giving the 3-hole weights. are there different versions of the Impact cleats?

sounds like arguing to me!

as i said, that's for the 4-hole mounting without shims and an adapter plate needed for 3-hole mounting.

have you looked at speedplay cleats? it'd be a thin piece of plastic and metal with a big hole in the center and a little wire spring.

19. lokstah

lokstah New Member

I have some lab scales here at work. I'll weigh my Zero cleats and report.

20. drewski

drewski New Member

the weights i posted were for x-series. slightly more for zero cleats.

they have zeros as 70g/118g for 4-hole/3-hole configurations w/ hardware (screws).