Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Look

Votes: 198 52.7%
  • Time

Votes: 137 36.4%
  • Speedplay

Votes: 42 11.2%

• Total voters
I have ridden Looks, primarily. I currently have the sickly spendy carbon/ti version and a set of the cheap Performance Look-compatible. I tried Time (the latest magnesium version) and hated them. Clipping in/out was much trickier than Look (a piece of cake). But the really bad part about the Times is the cleat/float... the cleat can only be mounted straight, so any pronation, etc., in your feet/knee is handled via the float in the pedal, which is self centering. It took 2 rides for my knees to ache like crazy. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad design unless your feet point perfectly straight all the time.

Campagnolo Chorus Pro-Fit! I have been using them for two years (coming from floating Looks) and love them.

Check them out. Everyone overlooks them when they are shopping, but I have yet to find someone who does not swear by them if they try them!

Agreed. I now use the Campy Record Pro-Fit, and I'm done with pedal shopping.

Having tried them all. The Looks, time and shimano SPD SL, road systems are almost identical. The speedplay is for the floaters. I use fixed cleats as opposed to those with limited float and thus dont need that special feature that speedplay offer. So it depends what your needs are.

I have been happy with my Wellgo Look-knock-offs.

They were cheap and easy to clip in and out of

Originally posted by Adam-from-SLO
I am a avid Time Pro Equipe Mag. pedal user. This is the same pedal that Big Mig. used to win the tour 5 straight years.... then Biarn Rise.... and Jan Ulrich..... and Pantani !! Ultimate in power transfer , not exactly the lightest pedals in the world... but great durability....... and absolute greatest design hands down.

Also, the Time ATAC MTB pedals I have only heard good things about...... and would be my next MTB pedal , without a doubt. I am currently using Onza HO pedals.... and they do the job good enough :)

Agree 100%.

I've got the original Time Titan Mag pedal and the Time sport pedal which I love, I've tried the original look and mavic pedals and also the Sampson pedal but find the Time pedals to be the best. I guess this kind of dates the vintage of my equipment, haven't really kept up to date due to career and family.

My only problem is what do I do when they finally wear out? :mad: Did they (Time) go with a new cleat design? Is there a road pedal with similar designs. Do they still make the original cleat?

On this forum I read that several people had trouble with their Shimano SPD-SL 600 (Ultegra) and their SPD-SL 7800 (Dura Ace) pedals.

They made a squeaking sound!

And on this thread at once I read nothing than good about those pedals???!!! Strange! I already decided not to buy the SPD-SL pedals because in races several times I saw guys first going to their mechanic at the start of the day in order to get some oil sprayed on their pedals. (I assumed for the same squeaking sound)?

I ride Campagnolo Chorus Look type pedals. In reality made by look (made in France). I use the red movement plates. Once the plates are worn they start to make an anoying sound. Time to change for new plates! Really ok pedals for all the rest. In five years time I never spend one minute on maintainance and they're still going strong! :)

Originally posted by kgatwork
Agree 100%.

I've got the original Time Titan Mag pedal and the Time sport pedal which I love, I've tried the original look and mavic pedals and also the Sampson pedal but find the Time pedals to be the best. I guess this kind of dates the vintage of my equipment, haven't really kept up to date due to career and family.

My only problem is what do I do when they finally wear out? :mad: Did they (Time) go with a new cleat design? Is there a road pedal with similar designs. Do they still make the original cleat?

Yes, I belive from 1995-2002 the Equipes did go with a new cleat design.

I'd suggest if your pedels ever do get to that stage of minimal life left in them....... I'd package both of them together... and sell them on Ebay. Then, I'd pick up a pair of the 1995-2002 Time Mag. Equipes on Ebay for about $40-50 w/cleats - slightly used.:)

Originally posted by Adam-from-SLO
Yes, I belive from 1995-2002 the Equipes did go with a new cleat design.

I'd suggest if your pedels ever do get to that stage of minimal life left in them....... I'd package both of them together... and sell them on Ebay. Then, I'd pick up a pair of the 1995-2002 Time Mag. Equipes on Ebay for about $40-50 w/cleats - slightly used.:)

the cleat design may have changed in 1995 (the rear brass piece became symmetrical to simplify installation), but equipes are still equipes. the newer cleat design still works perfectly with the older pedals. i've used both with my early 1990's Equipe Mags.

it's just the currect Impact cleats which won't work with the Equipe pedals, so if you can find any Equipe cleats, you're golden.

Originally posted by drewski
the cleat design may have changed in 1995 (the rear brass piece became symmetrical to simplify installation), but equipes are still equipes. the newer cleat design still works perfectly with the older pedals. i've used both with my early 1990's Equipe Mags.

it's just the currect Impact cleats which won't work with the Equipe pedals, so if you can find any Equipe cleats, you're golden.

Thanks for the feedback.

isdsms said:
I been thinking about putting new clipless pedals on my bike. (I've been using mb pedals.) I was looking at the shimano PD-R600 and think that would be a good choice for me. Does anyone have any experience with these pedals? Any other suggestions?

I am CURRENTLY using shimano spd's and have used a friends speedplay zero's and am going to upgrade quickly because they are heavenly.

Cletus75 said:
I'm using the R535's (105 version) and have found them to be just fine. Little bit of getting used to after my Look's, as the front hook is a little smaller and thus harder to find when clipping in. The rubber boots around the cleats are a great idea too - my place has polished wooden floors and there was no walking inside at all with the Look cleats, now I can at least put the shoes on before stepping outside.
I also have the R535's and am begging to hate them. The sweet spot is just way to small, and even with the tension skrew all the way tight I still manage to slip out in sprints sometimes, and with the skrew like that I have a hard time unclipping in a hurry. I am thinking of getting some new speedplays.

xc_gumby said:
Time all the way! Since the new design is out, I don't reckon there's a better pedal about. In deference to all you speedplay users, they are light pedals. Cleats are a bit heavy/bulk though!
Weight is the last reason to use Speedplay. Ease of entry/exit is a better one, but the stack height is the main thing. Not sure how they compare to Times, but it makes Look pedals feel like you're pedalling on blocks. Some people complain about the pedalling platform, but my Sidis have a carbon sole, so the whole shoe is really the platform. I also like being able to adjust inward and outward float seperately.

I rode SPD's since they first came out and just tried Look's (hated them) and went directly to Speedplay's. For the road these are great easy in easy out, light, reliable. The only drawback is that they are very hard to walk in. So if your doing more touring than sport riding, maybe SPD's would be better.

You have probably received a ton of emails on pedals. I just purchased the Shimano PD-R600 (04') and will tell you how they are. A friend of mine has them and loves them. Currently I am riding the Campy Record Pro's and find that my left foot seems to move too much.

As for a price? I went to Ebay and just bought them for 93.00 including shipping. You cant beat that price. They are new in box and not installed.

I also have the Look PP396, but I am currently boycotting the French, so they came off the bike. Nothing French on this bike.

isdsms said:
I been thinking about putting new clipless pedals on my bike. (I've been using mb pedals.) I was looking at the shimano PD-R600 and think that would be a good choice for me. Does anyone have any experience with these pedals? Any other suggestions?

having used look, spd, spd-sl, and speedplay, my order of preference goes look (terrible cornering clearance, but fairly dependable), spd (mountain on a road bike doesnt really suit my fancy), spd-sl (excellent but not as good as speedplay), and speedplay, which i believe is the best pedal around.

i used dirt-cheap wellgo spd-r knockoffs (wam r-4) for 3 years. they worked great and can be had for under $20 new on ebay. they do need a little maintenance -- just oil on the release mechanism -- after riding in rain or very dusty conditions, but are otherwise very reliable. i switched to the shimano r600 about a month ago because of the wider pedal-shoe contact area. i have pretty crazy feet (i ride with orthotics in both shoes and shims under one cleat) and would sometimes have some foot pain on long rides (over 100 miles) on the spd-r platform. the wider spd-sl platform is very comfy, easy to clip in and out, & no squeaking despite reports to the contrary.

most of my friends ride on speedplays. i think you'll find that almost everyone that uses them thinks they're the greatest pedal ever. there's no doubt a selection effect there: people who like lots of float buy speedplays & love them. i like my 6 degrees of float. any more sounds kind of scary to me.

ibike73 said:
Eggbeaters....

Ron
Ron,

I too have been using Look pedals, just cause thats all I have and it came with my Bianchi. However, I have very embarassing moments trying to get out of them in such heavy traffic light situations(North Bergen,NJ).
Can you divulge your adamant favorite of eggbeater vs Looks?//I just always assumed they were more for MTbikers.