• Look

Votes: 198 52.7%
  • Time

Votes: 137 36.4%
  • Speedplay

Votes: 42 11.2%

• Total voters
Rompinrhino said:
Speedplay X series-- I like these, their what I'm currently using. I havent adjusted the float on them, but I have had some knee issues since I started using them. Entry is easy, but your foot slides around while riding. Turns out this isnt uncomon, as a few people I know who use them went to get fit in Phonex, with the LA fit guy, and both of their feet were moving awkward due to the pedals. Eventually I'd like to get mine set up to 6 degrees of float, the exact same as my old campy pedals.

I hope you have the zero's and not the x-series. The X has non-adjustable float.

I haven't heard of many (any?) folks getting knee issues after using speedplay. :( my switch to speedplay definitely alleviated mucho knee issues. keep us posted.

How many here use MTB pedals other than the couple of people who've mentioned Eggbeaters (and I suppose Bebops could qualify as MTB as well)? I have been so happy with the Shimano M540 on my MTB in city riding -- tough, easy in, easy out, predictable, safe in a crash, two-sided, etc. -- that when I get the road bike I think I will stick with the same pedal.

Besides, with stiff Sidi shoes, it seems to me that the cleat area is much less of an issue than it was; having the combination of a two sided pedal with walkable shoes and a highly durable cleat seems to count for more unless you really are on the bike for 100 miles without so much as unclipping. Am I off base on this?

I realize Eggbeaters have a road-specific cleat with a larger contact area on the shoe, and that the Bebop cleat is a bit bigger than the Shimano SPD-M cleat -- is that a factor in making these two pedals better for road riding than other MTB pedals?

I used SPD mountain pedals on my road bike for quite a while. They are good pedals and with a stiff soled shoe they were fine for road use. I switched to Bebops for two reasons, more float and they weighed about a half pound less than the SPDs I was using. Oh, and I also thought they looked cool.

Speedplay x's. I've just started riding again after a 20 yr. hiatus.... I've never used clipless pedals before. A friend of mine recommended them because he knew I had some knee problems and he heard they were the easiest on the knees. Well, I've never tried any other pedal, but these Speedplays are fantastic! I can clip into them and be off, while my SPD friends are still "fiddling around with clipping in". Although its more of a "stomp..stomp.... and pedaling" than clipping in. And clipping out was much easier than I expected, just over and up. I can only judge by the comments my friends made after watching me start up with speedplays. They were very impressed, and it wasn't with my riding ability!! I'm pretty sure two of them now have Speedplays on their Christmas wish lists! Now I was worried about the size of the pedal platform, so the other thing they recommended is that I buy a very hard soled riding shoe because of the small pedal platform, that way I wouldn't feel the smaller platform (at least in theory). I took their advice of this too, and I can't tell any difference from my old regular pedals. On a couple of rides, I felt like I could barely feel the right pedal after about 20 miles, but it was only a slightly different sensation from the left pedal. After watching me ride for a bit, they all thought the float might be excessive, but as a serious rec / fitness rider, over 40, overweight ( but working hard on that), with some knee issues, I found the float to be fine, in fact I really liked that i could change my knee angle (more in or out) without causing any extra stress on my knees or ankles. So bottom line on this babble, is I don't think you can go wrong with these pedals, but make sure yours shoes have a hard sole. Now another topic, how do people walk in these things..... they are more dangerous than scuba flippers! :) I've never felt more unstable just walking across my garage floor! I was a bit envious of one rider, using his mountain bike shoes. His "cleat" was recessed into the shoe and he could walk around safely.

Don't just get stuck on the pedals mentioned here, unless you HAVE to have what everyone else is using.... look around (pun - sorry) there are others worth considering.

I'm switching to Keywin.

Cheers Jay

PixelPusher said:
Pretty sure two of them now have Speedplays on their Christmas wish lists!

Have a set of Zero's on my xmas list. Didn't specify wich ones, we'll see how naughty/nice I've been (doubt that I'll end up w/Ti).

I considered the X's, less money and actually a bit lighter, but was concerned with having too much float? Anyone with X's have a problem with too much float -- for instance heels hitting the chainstays, etc?

Still riding with them and luv'em. Now they are a little more "broken in" and are even easier to clip out. As far as too much float, I'm not sure what that would be. There is quite a bit of rotational movement with the heel, but I have never had my heels hit the chainstays. However, I also notice that I tend to pedal slightly pidgeon-toed, so my heels are pointed out just a bit.... so YMMV

Now I can see where there could be some problems exiting the clips if you have really large feet. I wear a size 12 and notice that my toe just touches the crankarm as I exit the clips. If you have larger feet, I think it could be difficult to get out of the clips because the toe of your shoe would hit the crankarm. Since these are the only pedals I have ever owned, I don't know if this possible problem is the same for all pedal styles.

RC2 said:
Have a set of Zero's on my xmas list. Didn't specify wich ones, we'll see how naughty/nice I've been (doubt that I'll end up w/Ti).

I considered the X's, less money and actually a bit lighter, but was concerned with having too much float? Anyone with X's have a problem with too much float -- for instance heels hitting the chainstays, etc?

RC2 said:
concerned with having too much float? Anyone with X's have a problem with too much float -- for instance heels hitting the chainstays, etc?
No.

Have used Shimano (old Look style), SPDs and now Speedplay X2s. Since I have right knee issues, the X2s are superior (for me) to the SPDs. I'm using SIDI Energys right now (works fine). If you use Speedplay:

[a] Get the "coffee caps" for walking around
Carry a small nail or other dirt-extrusion device as the cleat spring can get clogged with junk which makes it hard to clip-in. I carry mine in my cheapie cycling wallet.
[c] Lube either the clip assembly or the pedal weekly. I use White Lightning on the pedal (BTW, this is the only place I use WL; drivetrain gets Rock-n-Roll).
[d] Regrease the pedal annually.
[e] Don't mash the pedals or you'll have that pedalling-on-ice feel. Spin ... just like Lance.

Best.

look. now i am just typing things so i can meet the character limit. well i think i got it.

I was using Shimano pedals the old 105 model and have just bought the Look Keo's which are a complete transformation. Much better to clip into and feel more secure when clipped in. The actual pedalling action seems much smoother as well. Not been able to find anyone selling cleat covers yet so no walking on polished floors for me :)

percious said:
eggbeaters. The only way to clip in.

-percious
Couldn't agree more - 4 ways to clip in, lots of float if you fit cleats to release outwards and I can't tell there isn't a full pedal under my shoe, superb:D

mjw_byrne said:
What's your secret?? I'm having a devil of a time getting used to them. I agree that once you are clipped in, they're great - but actually clipping in without looking has proved to be nightmarishly dificult for me. Guess I just need more practice...

Hey MJW, I too have recently put the spd sl 600's on my tourer, I was used to the spd pedals and stepping down on the pedels to lock, however with the spd-sl's you slide your foot into the lock position (toe hits top of platform then slide foot and lock) I really love the pedels, less hot spots and more energy transfer.

I just purchased ($60) a set of CSC speedplay zeros. I bought them off of a lady who claimed they've only had a 10 mile ride on them.

Now the only problem is finding a LBS with the zero cleats in stock :(

isdsms said:
I been thinking about putting new clipless pedals on my bike. (I've been using mb pedals.) I was looking at the shimano PD-R600 and think that would be a good choice for me. Does anyone have any experience with these pedals? Any other suggestions?
Switched from look to R-600 and it was worth it.

Actually, I have Time ATAC's on my roadie, which were leftovers from a cyclocross bike I sold. Didn't have other pedals at the time so I installed the ATAC's just temporarily so I could ride. Well, they've been working great, and I've put off for awhile getting a new pair of Campy Pro-Fit's or Look Keo's.

Who'da thunk it?!

Hey, what does anybody think of the Shimano SPD PD-A515 pedal? I am thinking about getting a pair of these as I am only 16 and on a limited budget. Are these good pedals? Thanks.

Brett

I'm still using a pair of Look Nevada Clipless Pedals.

I want to buy a newer and lighter pair but these ones just won't break! :mad:

I'm an eggbeaters man. From a price vs. weight standpoint they are tough to beat. I can also use all three pairs of shoes on all three bikes including my MTB. The Crank Bros have never given me any trouble over the past two years, in short they work like a champ. I've thought of giving the new looks a try, but I can't think of a good reason to drop the money.