New Peddles?

Been riding a set of Speedplay Zero SS pedals for the last 10 years. I like the quick easy clip-in and the adjustable free float. Plus the durability. The bearings are still fine after 37K miles (lubing every 1K miles with a mini grease gun and Pedro's).

The cleats last a long time too, since they have an aluminum plate on the bottom which you walk on. Downside is that if you walk in mud or sandy soil, the cleats can foul and require cleaning. Get a set of "Koffee Shop" covers and use them to prevent problems and extend the life of the cleats to almost forever, depending where you ride and how often you clip in and out.

Another downside is that it takes a while to get used to the feeling of the free float. Coming from Look fixed cleats, it felt like I was riding on ice cubes for the first few rides. But that feeling goes away, and they are actually very secure in use.

I ride Campagnolo Pro Fit pedal...a Look clone. I use the float cleats. The adjustable release tension is great for riders that climb hard, sprint and kick. Very secure.

That said, pedals are like saddles; largely a matter of what feels best to the rider. Professional racers, world class tourists, commuters and weekend warriors can be found on every brand and type of pedal manufactured.

Speedplay, Look, Time, shimaNO...even the lowly Chinese Wellgo with Garmin power meters all win races on the Pro Tour circuit.