folks,

After several delays I have finally got the production photos of our Spitfire RS24 on our webiste.
The finalized weight was exactly on target, at
28.6 lbs. Check it out at www.hellbentcycles.com

Rick

Rick, I'm real curious how well the trike steers compared to other models on the market. I
previously owned a windcheetah, and the trike was prone to bump steer and just plain scary going on
the down hills. It would literally drift from side to side. It had the joystick steering as well.
Yours has a somewhat wider track though, and I wonder if that makes enough difference to get the
play out of the steering system? Also, on the windcheetah, Bob Dixon was quick to note that you
should NOT steer it sitting still, as the steering was very delicate. Any comments?

iLiad

"Hellbent Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> folks,
>
> After several delays I have finally got the production photos of our Spitfire RS24 on our webiste.
> The finalized weight was exactly on target,
at
> 28.6 lbs. Check it out at www.hellbentcycles.com
>

> Rick

Nice work! I like where you are going here, any suspended versions in the works?

Ben

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in news:Xmekb.624$i92.409@clgrps13:

> www.hellbentcycles.com

Very nice work. Congrats.

rorschandt

--
May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near or

iliad,

Although the steering resembles that of a Speedy, the handling is totally different. I intentionally
made the geometry to understeer so that high speeds could be achieved without losing control. The 12
deg. caster provides heavy steering allowing high speed stability.

As for steering while the trike is stationary, I developed a light-weight universal joint that uses
1/4" axles on bronze bushings. It can take the punishment for this application.

Another feature of the steering is going with alloy rod-end bearings. These bearings use a
PTFE/carbon fiber liner. Not only are they tight, but never need oiling.

Regards,

Rick

"iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rick, I'm real curious how well the trike steers compared to other models on the market. I
> previously owned a windcheetah, and the trike was prone to bump steer and just plain scary going
> on the down hills. It would literally drift from side to side. It had the joystick steering
as
> well. Yours has a somewhat wider track though, and I wonder if that makes enough difference to get
> the play out of the steering system? Also, on the windcheetah, Bob Dixon was quick to note that
> you should NOT steer it sitting still, as the steering was very delicate. Any comments?
>

> iLiad
>

> "Hellbent Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > folks,
> >
> > After several delays I have finally got the production photos of our Spitfire RS24 on our
> > webiste. The finalized weight was exactly on
target,
> at
> > 28.6 lbs. Check it out at www.hellbentcycles.com
> >

> > Rick

In Rick's defence. Bump steer is taken into account in Rick's trikes. From his previous trike the
Thunderbolt it explains how it is compensated for in the following link written by Rick.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G17F23146

and look for the heading "Kingpin Inclination (Centre Point Steering)" it will explain how this is
not a issue with his trikes, if I am wrong correct me Rick.

I make traction kite equipment (buggies, kites, harnessed) and I am plagued by people saying things
like "well this kite does not fly like a Jo Jo!", well guess what its not a Jo Jo so its not going
to fly like one... In this case it is not a windcheata so its not going to act like a windcheata.
The old comparing apples and oranges adage...

Also with delicate steering, if I were to buy a trike and then told that it had delicate (my
interpritation to this is prone to injury) with something as simple as steering while sitting still.
I simply would not buy it, I think this is something that can be properly engineered to be able to
handle such a circumstance.

my 2 cents

Ben

"iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rick, I'm real curious how well the trike steers compared to other models on the market. I
> previously owned a windcheetah, and the trike was prone to bump steer and just plain scary going
> on the down hills. It would literally drift from side to side. It had the joystick steering
as
> well. Yours has a somewhat wider track though, and I wonder if that makes enough difference to get
> the play out of the steering system? Also, on the windcheetah, Bob Dixon was quick to note that
> you should NOT steer it sitting still, as the steering was very delicate. Any comments?
>

> iLiad
>

> "Hellbent Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > folks,
> >
> > After several delays I have finally got the production photos of our Spitfire RS24 on our
> > webiste. The finalized weight was exactly on
target,
> at
> > 28.6 lbs. Check it out at www.hellbentcycles.com
> >

> > Rick

As for suspension, Pantour is developing a new hub for 20 mm axle with a disc brake mount. I hope to
be playing with this sometime next year.

Regards,

Rick

"Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Xmekb.624$i92.409@clgrps13...
> Nice work! I like where you are going here, any suspended versions in the works?
>
> Ben
>

> "Hellbent Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > folks,
> >
> > After several delays I have finally got the production photos of our Spitfire RS24 on our
> > webiste. The finalized weight was exactly on
target,
> at
> > 28.6 lbs. Check it out at www.hellbentcycles.com
> >

> > Rick

From a distinguished trike designer, I take that as the ultimate compliment!

Thanks!!

Rickey "rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in news:Xmekb.624$i92.409@clgrps13:
>
> > www.hellbentcycles.com
>
> Very nice work. Congrats.
>

> rorschandt
>
> --
> May all beings be happy. May they be joyous and live in safety. All living beings, whether weak or
> strong, in high or middle or low realms of existence, small or great, visible or invisible, near
> or far, born or to be born, Let no one deceive another, nor despise any being in any state; Let
> none by anger or hatred wish harm to another. Even as a mother at the risk of her life watches
> over and protects her only child, so with a boundless mind should one cherish all living things,

Cool! cant wait

Ben

"Hellbent Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As for suspension, Pantour is developing a new hub for 20 mm axle with a disc brake mount. I hope
> to be playing with this sometime next year.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rick
>
> "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Xmekb.624$i92.409@clgrps13...
> > Nice work! I like where you are going here, any suspended versions in
the
> > works?
> >
> > Ben
> >

> > "Hellbent Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > folks,
> > >
> > > After several delays I have finally got the production photos of our Spitfire RS24 on our
> > > webiste. The finalized weight was exactly on
> target,
> > at
> > > 28.6 lbs. Check it out at www.hellbentcycles.com
> > >

> > > Rick

Well, if I were comparing it to a USS greenspeed, then it wouldn't be apples to apples. But,
considering this has a similar steering geometry, it certainly illicits the obvious questions. Glad
to hear it doesn't suffer from the same problems though.

> I make traction kite equipment (buggies, kites, harnessed) and I am
plagued
> by people saying things like "well this kite does not fly like a Jo Jo!", well guess what its not
> a Jo Jo so its not going to fly like one... In
this
> case it is not a windcheata so its not going to act like a windcheata. The old comparing apples
> and oranges adage...
>
> Also with delicate steering, if I were to buy a trike and then told that
it
> had delicate (my interpritation to this is prone to injury) with something as simple as steering
> while sitting still. I simply would not buy it, I think this is something that can be properly
> engineered to be able to
handle
> such a circumstance.
>

> my 2 cents
>
> Ben
>
> "iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I agree, there are some inherent differences with USS OSS and still disagree. Just because something
looks similar or the same does not mean it is, with the geometry of a front end, a variance of 1
degree can make all the difference in the world and not look different. The bump steering adn drift
you complained of though was not due to the location of the steering handles but because of the
geometry of the wheel, angles of the rake and camber, and the mechanical linkages, with respect to
the frame. But we could debate this topic for hours and I am sure we could not come to a conclusion.

But I also realize that my last post and this one could be misconstrued as snotty and rude from a
guy with an attitude, and that is not my intension so if you took it this way I apologise.

Ben

"iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, if I were comparing it to a USS greenspeed, then it wouldn't be
apples
> to apples. But, considering this has a similar steering geometry, it certainly
illicits
> the obvious questions. Glad to hear it doesn't suffer from the same problems though.
>

> > I make traction kite equipment (buggies, kites, harnessed) and I am
> plagued
> > by people saying things like "well this kite does not fly like a Jo
Jo!",
> > well guess what its not a Jo Jo so its not going to fly like one... In
> this
> > case it is not a windcheata so its not going to act like a windcheata.
The
> > old comparing apples and oranges adage...
> >
> > Also with delicate steering, if I were to buy a trike and then told that
> it
> > had delicate (my interpritation to this is prone to injury) with
something
> > as simple as steering while sitting still. I simply would not buy it, I think this is something
> > that can be properly engineered to be able to
> handle
> > such a circumstance.
> >

> > my 2 cents
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > "iLiad" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Hellbent Rick must be edykated coz e writed:

> As for suspension, Pantour is developing a new hub for 20 mm axle with a disc brake mount. I hope
> to be playing with this sometime next year.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rick

Looks good, hope it does well for you.

--