New Pix

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:

>On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:10:53 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>|Finally got some fresh pix of some of my rides up on the site, including |finally a pic of
>my Tandem.
>|
>|http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html
>
>I've never understood the whole "here is my generic bike leaning against a (insert couch, tree,
>post, workbench) picture" followed by a laundry list of components" thing.
>
>It's funny, but inexplicable.

I kinda get it, but I like bikes... ;*)

Of course it makes much more sense if the bike is unique and/or special.

For instance the pics of my Karate Monkey http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkey.html blossomed
into a new page devoted to various karate monkey builds.
http://www.anthonysloan.com/Karate_Monkeys.html

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:10:53 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> |Finally got some fresh pix of some of my rides up on the site, including |finally a pic of
> my Tandem.
> |
> |http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html
>
> I've never understood the whole "here is my generic bike leaning against a (insert couch, tree,
> post, workbench) picture" followed by a laundry list of components" thing.

You don't understand it, because you are a '***'.

> It's funny, but inexplicable.

You think it's funny that you are a ***?

Shaun aRe

all i can say is that i wish i had that many bikes!

panda

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 8 May 2003 15:07:54 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:10:53 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> |Finally got some fresh pix of some of my rides up on the site, including |finally a pic of my
>> Tandem.
>> |
>> |http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html
>>
>> I've never understood the whole "here is my generic bike leaning against a (insert couch, tree,
>> post, workbench) picture" followed by a laundry list of components" thing.
>
>You don't understand it, because you are a '***'.

No, I don't understand it because it's not about the ride, it's about the ride, IMO.

>> It's funny, but inexplicable.
>
>You think it's funny that you are a ***?

No, I think it's funny that people post pictures of their generic bikes leaning against
various objects.

Kind of like people taking "special" pictures of their washing machine, garbage disposal, TV,
carpet, etc. and listing the specs.

(Cut and pasted from google, 'cos my PC **** itself and lost all but today's new messages).

>P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:10:53 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> |Finally got some fresh pix of some of my rides up on the site, including |finally a pic of my
>> Tandem.
>> |
>> |http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html
>>
>> I've never understood the whole "here is my generic bike leaning against a (insert couch, tree,
>> post, workbench) picture" followed by a laundry list of components" thing.
>
>You don't understand it, because you are a '***'.

"No, I don't understand it because it's not about the ride, it's about the ride, IMO."

That's as maybe, but a lot of people are proud of their tools of the trade - I see nothing wrong
with that.

>> It's funny, but inexplicable.
>
>You think it's funny that you are a ***?

"No, I think it's funny that people post pictures of their generic bikes leaning against
various objects."

I suspect you are missing something.

Kind of like people taking "special" pictures of their washing machine, garbage disposal, TV,
carpet, etc. and listing the specs.

Do you spend a lot of quality time with your washing machine? Does it provide you with pleasurable
fun? (And I'm not referring to sitting on it during the spin cycle...). Is it a tool for your main
'hobby' (bad choice of word, but what the hey...)?

Your lack of understanding of why someone (Nelson) would post those types of pics means nothing
outside of you (and no, I'm not saying you said it did, before you try and fire that old one
off at me).

Shaun aRe - Damned proud of my bike, and there'd be more pictures of it up if I was able to do it.

P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
> On Thu, 8 May 2003 15:07:54 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Tandem.

>>>I've never understood the whole "here is my generic bike leaning against a (insert couch, tree,
>>>post, workbench) picture" followed by a laundry list of components" thing.
>>
>>You don't understand it, because you are a '***'.
>

> No, I don't understand it because it's not about the ride, it's about the ride, IMO.
>

>>>It's funny, but inexplicable.
>>
>>You think it's funny that you are a ***?
>

> No, I think it's funny that people post pictures of their generic bikes leaning against various
> objects.
>
> Kind of like people taking "special" pictures of their washing machine, garbage disposal, TV,
> carpet, etc. and listing the specs.

I think one clue amy be the fact that ther eis such a thing as "alt.mountain-bike" and not such a
thing as "alt.dishwasher/garbage disposal/grommet" Or at least, I don't think there is..sorta
afraid to look.

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

news:<[email protected]>...
> (Cut and pasted from google, 'cos my PC **** itself and lost all but today's new messages).
>
> >P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> Tandem.

> >> I've never understood the whole "here is my generic bike leaning against a (insert couch, tree,
> >> post, workbench) picture" followed by a laundry list of components" thing.
> >
> >You don't understand it, because you are a '***'.
>
> "No, I don't understand it because it's not about the ride, it's about the ride, IMO."
>
> That's as maybe, but a lot of people are proud of their tools of the trade - I see nothing wrong
> with that.
>
> >> It's funny, but inexplicable.
> >
> >You think it's funny that you are a ***?
>
> "No, I think it's funny that people post pictures of their generic bikes leaning against various
> objects."
>
> I suspect you are missing something.

He may well be. But It might be a product of the idea that MTBs are disposable for some folks. If
you have enough green, even the exotic can be mundane.

> Kind of like people taking "special" pictures of their washing machine, garbage disposal, TV,
> carpet, etc. and listing the specs.
>
> Do you spend a lot of quality time with your washing machine? Does it provide you with pleasurable
> fun? (And I'm not referring to sitting on it during the spin cycle...). Is it a tool for your main
> 'hobby' (bad choice of word, but what the hey...)?

And "Did you built it up yourself? From parts? Do you do all your own maintenance?"

But hey, lots of folks take pictures of their cars and the like. Pride of ownership and all that.

> Your lack of understanding of why someone (Nelson) would post those types of pics means nothing
> outside of you (and no, I'm not saying you said it did, before you try and fire that old one
> off at me).

Fire off the old "nobody forced you to read the posts, click on the links, etc."

:)

> Shaun aRe - Damned proud of my bike, and there'd be more pictures of it up if I was able to do it.

Eh, I do agree with Pete a little here. I mean, some of the bike pics are cool, but the vast
majority are just your old generic bike. Kinda boring. It's cool to see people riding them, tho'.
Even old generic bikes.

Spider

On Fri, 9 May 2003 10:47:18 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

|>You don't understand it, because you are a '***'.

|"No, I don't understand it because it's not about the ride, it's about
|the ride, IMO."
|
|That's as maybe, but a lot of people are proud of their tools of the trade - |I see nothing wrong
with that.

Where did I claim it was "wrong"? I merely wrote that I don''t get the fascination that people have
with posting mundane pictures of mundane bikes leaning against the couch, followed by a laundry list
of the parts.

OHHHH! He's using a Deore derailleur, an SGB saddle and <gasp!> DT Spokes!

|>> It's funny, but inexplicable.
|>
|>You think it's funny that you are a ***?

|"No, I think it's funny that people post pictures of their generic
|bikes leaning against various objects."
|
|I suspect you are missing something.

Nope.

|Kind of like people taking "special" pictures of their washing |machine, garbage disposal, TV,
carpet, etc. and listing the specs.

|Do you spend a lot of quality time with your washing machine? Does it |provide you with pleasurable
fun? (And I'm not referring to sitting on it |during the spin cycle...). Is it a tool for your main
'hobby' (bad choice of |word, but what the hey...)?

So because it's a tool for your main hobby it's important/cool/interesting to post pictures of
mundane bikes leaning against inanimate objects, not being used?

|Your lack of understanding of why someone (Nelson) would post those types of |pics means
nothing outside of you (and no, I'm not saying you said it did, |before you try and fire that
old one off at me).

Sure it does. It means that there are many folks who are apparently more concerned about the ride
than about the ride.

Read many of the posts on amb for further proof.

|Shaun aRe - Damned proud of my bike, and there'd be more pictures of it up |if I was able to do it.

Wow.

"Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
| > (Cut and pasted from google, 'cos my PC **** itself and lost all but
today's
| > new messages).
| >
| > >P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
| > >news:[email protected]...

| > >> |

| > >You don't understand it, because you are a '***'.
| >
| > "No, I don't understand it because it's not about the ride, it's about the ride, IMO."
| >
| > That's as maybe, but a lot of people are proud of their tools of the
trade -
| > I see nothing wrong with that.

| > >You think it's funny that you are a ***?
| >
| > "No, I think it's funny that people post pictures of their generic bikes leaning against various
| > objects."
| >
| > I suspect you are missing something.
|
| He may well be. But It might be a product of the idea that MTBs are disposable for some folks. If
| you have enough green, even the exotic can be mundane.
|
| > Kind of like people taking "special" pictures of their washing machine, garbage disposal, TV,
| > carpet, etc. and listing the specs.

I understand there are folks who feel the same way about vacuum cleaners, both antique and exotic
current types. I'm sure if I looked, I'd find plenty of pix on the 'net or these folks special VCs.

| > Do you spend a lot of quality time with your washing machine? Does it provide you with
| > pleasurable fun? (And I'm not referring to sitting on
it
| > during the spin cycle...). Is it a tool for your main 'hobby' (bad
choice of
| > word, but what the hey...)?

I bet there are a small number of folks who actually have a hobby of restoring old fashioned
washing machines.

| And "Did you built it up yourself? From parts? Do you do all your own maintenance?"
|
| But hey, lots of folks take pictures of their cars and the like. Pride of ownership and all that.
|
| > Your lack of understanding of why someone (Nelson) would post those
types of
| > pics means nothing outside of you (and no, I'm not saying you said it
did,
| > before you try and fire that old one off at me).
|
| Fire off the old "nobody forced you to read the posts, click on the links, etc."
|
| :)
|
| > Shaun aRe - Damned proud of my bike, and there'd be more pictures of it
up
| > if I was able to do it.
|
| Eh, I do agree with Pete a little here. I mean, some of the bike pics are cool, but the vast
| majority are just your old generic bike. Kinda boring. It's cool to see people riding them, tho'.
| Even old generic bikes.

If I had a digital camera capable of it, I'd have somebody shooting me out on those bikes. Problem
is; my digital camera is a $40 POS that I got at Wal-Mart before I got laid off and it's not up to
much more of what you've seen. On top of that, my wife, God love her, is utterly incapable of
shooting good pictures and as I'm not part of a large circle of friends to take the pix, I'm SOL.

Another reason I post the pix, I like to talk about my bikes and I like to show them off. Sure they
look a bit generic, but that's because I don't much care for ultimate fantasy rigs. If I had
unlimited dollars, there wouldn't be that much difference visually in the bikes, only that I'd have
a lot more XTR and RaceFace goodies on and in them.

I kept several of my bikes with me at the shop, more to show them off and use them as a selling tool
that to tinker with them (spending 48 hours a week in a bike shop you tend to plateau with what you
can do to them.) Seeing something bolted to a bike is a whole lot better than just seeing the same
thing hanging on a slat-wall or sitting in a showcase.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/6/2003

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Finally got some fresh pix of some of my rides up on the site, including finally a pic of
> my Tandem.

Your wife rides a Kronos? I've got one (your picture isn't working right now) and I've been
wondering how old my bike really is. Does anyone here know the years they were produced?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 9 May 2003 10:47:18 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> |>You don't understand it, because you are a '***'.
> |
> |"No, I don't understand it because it's not about the ride, it's about
> |the ride, IMO."
> |
> |That's as maybe, but a lot of people are proud of their tools of the
trade -
> |I see nothing wrong with that.
>
> Where did I claim it was "wrong"?

Where did I claim that you claimed it was wrong?

> I merely wrote that I don''t get the fascination that people have with posting mundane pictures of
> mundane bikes leaning against the couch, followed by a laundry list of the parts.

I merely wrote 'I see nothing wrong with that'. - No point wasting your time trying and play that
tired 'where did I say that?' card with me.

> OHHHH! He's using a Deore derailleur, an SGB saddle and <gasp!> DT Spokes!

> |>You think it's funny that you are a ***?
> |
> |"No, I think it's funny that people post pictures of their generic
> |bikes leaning against various objects."
> |
> |I suspect you are missing something.
>
> Nope.

Heheheheh..........

> |Kind of like people taking "special" pictures of their washing |machine, garbage disposal, TV,
> carpet, etc. and listing the specs.
> |
> |Do you spend a lot of quality time with your washing machine? Does it |provide you with
> pleasurable fun? (And I'm not referring to sitting on it |during the spin cycle...). Is it a tool
> for your main 'hobby' (bad choice
of
> |word, but what the hey...)?
>
> So because it's a tool for your main hobby it's important/cool/interesting to post pictures of
> mundane bikes leaning against inanimate objects, not being used?

Something wrong with a bit of pride Pete?

> |Your lack of understanding of why someone (Nelson) would post those types
of
> |pics means nothing outside of you (and no, I'm not saying you said it
did,
> |before you try and fire that old one off at me).
>
> Sure it does. It means that there are many folks who are apparently more concerned about the ride
> than about the ride.

Why does it make somone more concerned about their bike(s) than the riding, just because they have
taken and posted pictures of their bikes 'static'? That's almost like saying John G is more
concerned with the bottles than the beer, because he posted a picture of beer, in bottles, in the
fridge, not being drunk.

> Read many of the posts on amb for further proof.
>
> |Shaun aRe - Damned proud of my bike, and there'd be more pictures of it
up
> |if I was able to do it.
>
> Wow.

Indeed.

Shaun aRe

On Wed, 07 May 2003 19:12:42 -0700, P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:10:53 -0400, "Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>|Finally got some fresh pix of some of my rides up on the site, including |finally a pic of
>my Tandem.
>|
>|http://intergalax.com/mybikes.html
>
>I've never understood the whole "here is my generic bike leaning against a (insert couch, tree,
>post, workbench) picture" followed by a laundry list of components" thing.
>
>It's funny, but inexplicable.

funny. So are you!

On Mon, 12 May 2003 10:12:49 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

|P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
|news:[email protected]...

|> |
|> |"No, I don't understand it because it's not about the ride, it's about
|> |the ride, IMO."
|> |
|> |That's as maybe, but a lot of people are proud of their tools of the
|trade -
|> |I see nothing wrong with that.
|>
|> Where did I claim it was "wrong"?
|
|Where did I claim that you claimed it was wrong?

See above. The bit with "see nothing wrong" in response to my comment about "I don't understand."

Are you claiming that was inadvertent?

|> I merely wrote that I don''t get the fascination that people have with posting mundane pictures
|> of mundane bikes leaning against the couch, followed by a laundry list of the parts.
|
|I merely wrote 'I see nothing wrong with that'. - No point wasting your time |trying and play that
tired 'where did I say that?' card with me.

ROTFL whiner.

|> OHHHH! He's using a Deore derailleur, an SGB saddle and <gasp!> DT Spokes!

|> |
|> |"No, I think it's funny that people post pictures of their generic
|> |bikes leaning against various objects."
|> |
|> |I suspect you are missing something.
|>
|> Nope.
|
|Heheheheh..........
|
|> |Kind of like people taking "special" pictures of their washing |machine, garbage disposal, TV,
|> carpet, etc. and listing the specs.
|> |
|> |Do you spend a lot of quality time with your washing machine? Does it |provide you with
|> pleasurable fun? (And I'm not referring to sitting on it |during the spin cycle...). Is it a tool
|> for your main 'hobby' (bad choice
|of
|> |word, but what the hey...)?
|>
|> So because it's a tool for your main hobby it's important/cool/interesting to post pictures of
|> mundane bikes leaning against inanimate objects, not being used?
|
|Something wrong with a bit of pride Pete?

As noted before, I don't understand taking pride in a generic bike leaning against (insert
object here).

It's about the ride, not the ride, again.

|> |Your lack of understanding of why someone (Nelson) would post those types
|of
|> |pics means nothing outside of you (and no, I'm not saying you said it
|did,
|> |before you try and fire that old one off at me).
|>
|> Sure it does. It means that there are many folks who are apparently more concerned about the ride
|> than about the ride.
|
|Why does it make somone more concerned about their bike(s) than the riding, |just because they have
taken and posted pictures of their bikes 'static'? |That's almost like saying John G is more
concerned with the bottles than the |beer, because he posted a picture of beer, in bottles, in the
fridge, not |being drunk.

No, it's focusing on the bike rather than the ride. It's self-evident.

this flame war has gone full circle.

-150 points to both of you.
--
~Travis

> On 12 May 2003 17:37:12 GMT, [email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:
>
> >Pete F says:
> >
> >>No, it's focusing on the bike rather than the ride. It's self-evident.
> >
> >What do you say to the guy who has saved for 5 or 10 years to get just the _right_ generic bike.
> >From his viewpoint, he has every right to feel proud that he owns it at last. The fact that he
> >could never afford a custom bike does nothing to diminish his pride in what he _does_ own.
>
> Where have I claimed that someone doesn't have the right to feel proud of their generic bike?
>
> My comment relates to the posting of generic pictures of generic bikes leaning against (insert
> pole, couch, building, etc.).
>
> I still don't get it, despite all of the wringing of hands.

it is a method to simply prop up the bike for a better picture. some folks do not have the means to
take a picture of their bike while riding.

Think of it like a race car driver snapping a pic of his car in the garage, driveway, or maybe
in the pit.
--
~Travis

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 May 2003 15:07:54 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>P e t e F a g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...

> >>You don't understand it, because you are a '***'.
> >

> > No, I don't understand it because it's not about the ride, it's about the ride, IMO.

> >>You think it's funny that you are a ***?
> >

> > No, I think it's funny that people post pictures of their generic bikes leaning against various
> > objects.
> >
> > Kind of like people taking "special" pictures of their washing machine, garbage disposal, TV,
> > carpet, etc. and listing the specs.
> >

> I think one clue amy be the fact that ther eis such a thing as "alt.mountain-bike" and not such a
> thing as "alt.dishwasher/garbage disposal/grommet" Or at least, I don't think there is..sorta
> afraid to look.

Yeah, take that, Amy!

/s lots of bikes, but no washing machine, garbage disposal, or tv....

"P e t e F a g e r l i n" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 12 May 2003 10:12:49 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

{Hugh Jass amounts o' snipping}

> |Something wrong with a bit of pride Pete?
>
> As noted before, I don't understand taking pride in a generic bike leaning against (insert
> object here).

Oooh! Oooh! Do we get to choose the object that Shaun has (or gets) to insert?!?

Bill "SOMEONE had to derail this sucka" S.

| > No, it's focusing on the bike rather than the ride. It's self-evident.

It's self-evident that some people cannot comprehend the concept of focusing on the bike
**AND** the ride.

It's also a whole big pile of "my way/attitude/etc. is right, yours is wrong."

It's all good people. To each his own.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/6/2003