New Polar 725 HR Monitor

scottmoroschan

Feb 5, 2004
I can imagine that most of the people who frequent this section, Cycling Training, probably use a HR monitor. And, I would bet that the majority of HR monitor users on this site own a Polar monitor. Personally, I have been using Polar products for over a decade, and currently I have had a 720i for almaost two years now. I don't use the power output sensor, but I do use all of the other features.

So, why I am I writing this post. Well, I will tell you....I am ****** off!!! Thats why! I can not believe it! I just bought the new issue of Pro Cycling today and I came across a product review of the new Polar 725, which is capable of uploading its files to a Nokia 5something. The review shows a Nokia phone with a beautiful color monitor displaying a nice graphical presentation of a training session. Well, at first I thought this was great. Just imagine the possibilities....Just after a race or weekend away riding you would be able to view your ride data before getting back to the house on a clear colour display, and even be able (I guess?) to send the data to your coach or friends.

So, as soon as I had the chance, I logged on to www.polar.fi to find out how to get my hands on this new software. Well it turns out the damn software is only going to work with the 725!!! Before I found this out, I thought to myself..."I really don't have the money to go out and blow a small fortune on another phone (I actually need a new set of wheels), but it just might be worth it....Just imagine the convience." Well as far as I am concerned Polar has made a bad decission. What do they expect people to do....Bin their perfectly good monitors, which have all the same functions with the exception of this Nokia thing, and fork out probably around £500 for a new monitor and phone. Well, I think not. Why couldn't they have focused on developing software that would work on the older models.

What do you think of this? Personally, I think we should start a petition and let the people at Polar know that they have really screwed up and let their loyal customers down!!!

Scott

I think that polar should sort out the IR uplink system that they use on the normal computer/watch interface before they start messing with phones and getting people to waste more money. I have recently bought a 720i and am still yet to figure out how to upload files off the watch onto my laptop. Apparently it may have something to do with an IBM compatibility issue but surely this couldnt be too hard to fix.......could it? It looks like i will be forking out more cash for the polar IR thingo, which i shouldnt really need! I can tell u that i am not a happy camper. All i can say is that it had better be worth the money!

i've been using a polar s720i since january. i love it. i've got windows XP, i use the infrared downloading tool via serial interface to download files. i have not had many problems at all.

tonight, i installed the power meter and removed the old speedometer & cadence stuff since the power meter comes with its own. i can't find fault with the polar unit.

I don't see why one should get ****** off because of product advancements...

What was it like after you bought your computer or TV?

BTW, my Polar interface works perfectly as well.

Originally posted by scottmoroschan
I can imagine that most of the people who frequent this section, Cycling Training, probably use a HR monitor. And, I would bet that the majority of HR monitor users on this site own a Polar monitor. Personally, I have been using Polar products for over a decade, and currently I have had a 720i for almaost two years now. I don't use the power output sensor, but I do use all of the other features.

So, why I am I writing this post. Well, I will tell you....I am ****** off!!! Thats why! I can not believe it! I just bought the new issue of Pro Cycling today and I came across a product review of the new Polar 725, which is capable of uploading its files to a Nokia 5something. The review shows a Nokia phone with a beautiful color monitor displaying a nice graphical presentation of a training session. Well, at first I thought this was great. Just imagine the possibilities....Just after a race or weekend away riding you would be able to view your ride data before getting back to the house on a clear colour display, and even be able (I guess?) to send the data to your coach or friends.

So, as soon as I had the chance, I logged on to www.polar.fi to find out how to get my hands on this new software. Well it turns out the damn software is only going to work with the 725!!! Before I found this out, I thought to myself..."I really don't have the money to go out and blow a small fortune on another phone (I actually need a new set of wheels), but it just might be worth it....Just imagine the convience." Well as far as I am concerned Polar has made a bad decission. What do they expect people to do....Bin their perfectly good monitors, which have all the same functions with the exception of this Nokia thing, and fork out probably around £500 for a new monitor and phone. Well, I think not. Why couldn't they have focused on developing software that would work on the older models.

What do you think of this? Personally, I think we should start a petition and let the people at Polar know that they have really screwed up and let their loyal customers down!!!

Scott

The monitor phone send feature does not exist on your HRM, so software would not help you.

Get over it !

Originally posted by edd
The monitor phone send feature does not exist on your HRM, so software would not help you.

Get over it !

That's not really true. I own the 710, and last year when I went to France to do PBP, I asked that they write some software for the Palm so I could transfer data to a smaller, portable device.

The software running on the receptacle controls the whole thing, and any device with an IR receiver could easily manage to be a repository. I am thinking I should write the software myself just to satisfy the need, but it is a rather small market.

Long and short of it, this is simple product packaging. There is nothing wrong with it, it just assumes that were are all raving lunatics with endless bank accounts. The more you spend on the 725, the more justification there is for that thinking.

Anyone want to buy software for a Palm or CE device which could download and store a set of results? How much would you pay for such software?

Regards,
Guru.

Originally posted by Guru_2_u_2
That's not really true. I own the 710, and last year when I went to France to do PBP, I asked that they write some software for the Palm so I could transfer data to a smaller, portable device.

The software running on the receptacle controls the whole thing, and any device with an IR receiver could easily manage to be a repository. I am thinking I should write the software myself just to satisfy the need, but it is a rather small market.

Long and short of it, this is simple product packaging. There is nothing wrong with it, it just assumes that were are all raving lunatics with endless bank accounts. The more you spend on the 725, the more justification there is for that thinking.

Anyone want to buy software for a Palm or CE device which could download and store a set of results? How much would you pay for such software?

Regards,
Guru.

Hey Guru,

If you think you arecapable of developing software for the palm I would think there is a market for such a product. In a product survey last year, Polar asked customers what types of features they think should be incorporated into the next generation of HRMs....And, IR interfacing with palms was one of their suggestions. Why they have not already developed and marketed Palm-type software is a mystery to me. Surely, more people can afford a Palm device than an expensive laptop.

And, just as an example of a company who is taking advantage of the lack of Polar's initiative to capatalize on other customers' programing needs, you should check out http://www.otag.co.uk/. This company has develpoed an Polar-Mac software program. OTAG Technologies was established in 2001 to develop Macintosh and Windows software, mainly of a sports-oriented nature.

Scott

Regards,
Guru.

My apologies. I was under the impression that the phone software had limitations and the monitor had to communicate in a software language the phone can understand.

The S725 gets a solid "meh" from me; it doesn't sound anything compelling, just a 710/720 with the phone uplink thing.

The real news for me in the new S-series range is the S625X .. it's compatible with all S-series cycling sensors, and comes with a foot-pod mounted accelerometer to measure speed when running. Now that's something actually worth upgrading for.. (and for those who want the phone uplink, it does that too)

edit: but I just looked it up and it loses the temp & altitude sensor :(

Originally posted by drewjc
I think that polar should sort out the IR uplink system that they use on the normal computer/watch interface before they start messing with phones and getting people to waste more money. I have recently bought a 720i and am still yet to figure out how to upload files off the watch onto my laptop. Apparently it may have something to do with an IBM compatibility issue but surely this couldnt be too hard to fix.......could it? It looks like i will be forking out more cash for the polar IR thingo, which i shouldnt really need! I can tell u that i am not a happy camper. All i can say is that it had better be worth the money!

Maybe you’re at Polar software Version 3. You can try to upgrade to version 4.00.025 that it’s available at www.polar.fi. It resolved some problems to me with the exercise download when I migrated to Win 2000.

Regards.

Originally posted by rek
The S725 gets a solid "meh" from me; it doesn't sound anything compelling, just a 710/720 with the phone uplink thing.

The real news for me in the new S-series range is the S625X .. it's compatible with all S-series cycling sensors, and comes with a foot-pod mounted accelerometer to measure speed when running. Now that's something actually worth upgrading for.. (and for those who want the phone uplink, it does that too)

edit: but I just looked it up and it loses the temp & altitude sensor :(

If you are interested in a foot-pod mounted accelerometer, I can see that you use your legs for other purposes than cycling, there are estrange people in this world :)

I would miss the altitude sensor, it’s fundamental for mountain biking and very interesting in road racing.

Regards

Why can't they just make one model with all of the old plus new features, and provide software that works with all S-series monitors on and both PC and Mac platforms.

. Apparently it may have something to do with an IBM compatibility issue but surely this couldnt be too hard to fix.......could it?

I too had a problem with my IR interface, turns out it is the USB controler.

Most laptops, and some desktops, use a open USB control rather then a Univeral USB controler. The problem is that the open control has some interuption problems which Polar cant figure out yet. Swap for USB for a serial and it will fix the problem.

Thanks to the guys at Persuit Performance in Adelaide for the info and the free swap.

Originally posted by drewjc

If your laptop has an IR port built in it might be turned off. I was having the same problem with my 720. It would say it was connecting but then it would fail. A friend showed me how to access the system BIOS and we were able to turn the port on. It works like a charm now.

Drew

Hi

I've been using a 710i for the last year or so and have had no problems with the IR interface on my notebook. However, you did not mention your operating system. Windows 98 supports IR but Windows NT does not, Windows XP does but I don't know about 2000 (i assume it would though).

Check that you have an IR icon in the control panel of your OS and then you can test the IR connection with the monitor at the operating system level before you run the Polar software. The OS should detect the monitor and beep then show an icon on the status bar. Double clicking the IR icon in control panel will then show you the connection stats. The monitor will also go from displaying "connect" to "COM" when it finds the IR communication link is working. Once the OS shows the connection and the monitor shows the connection, then the Polar software will have no problems. Check also in the connection config page within the Polar software that you have selected the IR communication protocol and the port and not the speaker protocol.

When I was running NT on my notebook I had to install 98 in dual boot mode and switch to 98 just to download the monitor.

In fact the only problem I had was when the notebook harddisk died and my notebook was out of action, no download for me for a while. I then replaced the OS with XP and everything is ok again.

I've just ordered a third party USB IR port for around $60 for my home PC so I can download the monitor at home.

Hope this helps.

throw the friggin' things out! one should know one's intensity without consulting electronics. the tyranny of the digital age!

Originally posted by scottmoroschan

Scott

Originally posted by TimJF

Technology is a wonderful thing ... and along with profiles, etc. makes "reliving" a cycling event so much more vivid. But I often participate in multi-day events. The result is that memory is maxed out on my Polar 720i, before the end of the event. The alternative is of course to pack in a lap-top and upload the data from my HR monitor, then delete the original files and free up memory ... but the intention is to travel light!!!

So about a year ago, I contacted Polar, with a request for software, which I could load on to my Palm Pilot (which is small enough to pack and take with me on cycle tours) and use to upload files from my HR monitor (via Infra Red). All that is required is a mechanism to store the files (which are small) on the Palm device. I wasn't asking for a Palm version of Polar Precision Performance software. The reply back from Polar was that the IR on my HR monitor was not compatible with the Palm IR. The fact that I connect to the web, get mail, etc. on my Palm via the IR link to my Nokia 6310i, indicates that the Palm IR is definitely compatible with standard Nokia IR protocol. And if the Polar IR is now communicating to a Nokia phone, surely the IR protocol on the Palm device is compatible with the Polar IR protocol (since A=B=C implies A=C). My feeling is that there must be agreements in place with Nokia, prohibiting development on other IR devices. And if this is the case, then I need to find a Palm software developer, who can do the necessary.

Regards,
Guru.