New Polar Power sensor

mick1

Oct 17, 2004
Based on an earlier post on this site I e-mailed Polar to ask about possible new products. They responded that there would be new models (CS400 and CS600) in the spring but there was no product info or pricing yet.

I was planning to buy the current model for myself for Christmas. I'm a 56 year old rec. rider who enjoys Exercise Physiology so I don't need to spend $1000+ on this. I already have the heart monitor.

Anyone know anything about these new products off the record. Should I wait.

CS400 CS600 - those are bike computers, not power meters - right? Was hoping for a new power meter and 1 sec recording.

JTE83 said:
CS400 CS600 - those are bike computers, not power meters - right? Was hoping for a new power meter and 1 sec recording.
Kempele, Finland - Polar Electro, pioneer and leading innovator of sports instruments and heart rate monitors, today announced two new products for professional and elite cyclists: CS400 and CS600. Integrating Polar's leading-edge heart rate monitoring technology with a fully featured cycling computer, CS400 and CS600 deliver an unprecedented amount of data on body performance, cycling technique and the environment enabling optimal training and race performance.

4 years in development, both the CS400 and CS600 incorporate a comprehensive feature set combining measurements for time, speed, distance, altitude, inclination, cadence and power (CS600 w/power only) with ECG accurate heart rate measurements to provide the most complete overview of cycling performance. With the optional power sensor, CS600 will also calculate cycling efficiency by comparing overall energy consumption with power transfer to the bike.

"A heart rate and power based training program is essential for success" says Alejandro Valverde � ProTour Leader, Caisse d'Epargne-Iles Baléares "Polar's cycling computers provide us with accurate data in training and during races which we use to great effect."

Polar ProTrainer 5™ software for Windows® completes the system by enabling the easy preparation and analysis of detailed training programs on the PC. Presented in easy-to-read graphical form, simplifying both planning and analysis, training programs and recorded training data can be wirelessly transferred to or from the CS400 and CS600 ensuring training objectives stay on track.

"Relaxation rate is a critical piece of training information. With the R-R recording feature of the Polar CS600 and ProTrainer 5 we can measure the physical recovery of each rider, this enables us to accurately plan training and races." says Luca Guercilena Quickstep Energetic, Team Leader and Coach.

Joona Laukka, Cycling Segment Manager at Polar commented: "Polar's heart rate monitors have been in everyday use by top riders for many years. We designed the CS range of cycling computers from the ground up to deliver the ultimate training and race tool for the professional cyclist."

Six pro teams benefited from Polar CS series cycling computers throughout the demanding route of the 2006 Tour de France. Polar is the official supplier of heart rate monitors and cycling computers to Caisse d'Epargne-Iles Baléares, Euskadi-Euskaltel, Liquigas, Rabobank, Saunier Duval and T-Mobile.

In retail stores from January 2007, the CS600 is expected to retail for EUR379.90 and EUR629.90 with the power sensor. The power sensor can be purchased separately for EUR349.90. CS400 will be in stores in March 2007 with an expected retail price of EUR299.90.

• Key Features of the CS400 and CS600 Include:
  • Large customizable display showing 4 separate elements of information. Two timeline trend graphs can be displayed simultaneously providing �at-a-glance' feedback during exercise.
  • Hill-Winner function measures inclination in percentage or grades to enable optimal pacing and control.
  • Smooth and aerodynamic case design made from tough reinforced polycarbonates for maximum durability.
  • Measures energy consumption (kcal/h and kcal/km) for accurate diet planning to maintain optimal energy levels.
  • Polar OwnIndex™ Fitness Test calculates aerobic fitness (comparable to maximal oxygen uptake, VO2max) providing a reference to base training intensity and measure improvement.
  • Polar W.I.N.D transmission technology - 2.4 GHz coded transmission for disturbance-free connections from wireless speed, cadence and power sensors and WearLink heart rate transmitter (CS 600 only).
  • Polar OwnOptimizer™ shows the status of training load helping to find the perfect balance between training and recovery (CS 600 only).
  • Cycling Efficiency measurement gives real-time feedback on technique (CS600 only).
  • Relaxation Rate features measures recovery time enabling optimal training (CS600 only).
  • Optional wireless Power Unit measures absolute power transfer to the bike (CS600 only).

So I'm gonna wait for the CS600 and powermeter. If it does 8 hrs at 1 sec recording then no ergomo pro for me! Otherwise, if they stupidly make it 5 sec recording rate then no go. Can't wait to put a powermeter on my CF Soloist!

Gee, a Polar press release but no photos of the product. That really sucks.

JTE83 said:
So I'm gonna wait for the CS600 and powermeter. If it does 8 hrs at 1 sec recording then no ergomo pro for me! Otherwise, if they stupidly make it 5 sec recording rate then no go. Can't wait to put a powermeter on my CF Soloist!

Gee, a Polar press release but no photos of the product. That really sucks.
Searched on google images for CS600 and found an Italian site with a news release and images. However, the site is in Italian; nice picture, though!

http://www.solobike.it/visualizzanotizia.php?news_id=40835

Thanks for the pic search. The pic of the CS600 is disappointing! It gives watts, cadence, inclination, and heart rate zone on one screen, but it's more important to have HR as a % of Max HR -- that's what I want most. At least they should have given HR -- guess I'm more inclined towards ergomo pro but it's a bit expensive!

Still, I'll wait for February to put a powermeter on my CF Soloist. I'll have money to burn by then. If I lose my temp job right now then I'll just have to use an old ebay Polar Powermeter.

JTE83 said:
Thanks for the pic search. The pic of the CS600 is disappointing! It gives watts, cadence, inclination, and heart rate zone on one screen, but it's more important to have HR as a % of Max HR -- that's what I want most. At least they should have given HR -- guess I'm more inclined towards ergomo pro but it's a bit expensive!

Still, I'll wait for February to put a powermeter on my CF Soloist. I'll have money to burn by then. If I lose my temp job right now then I'll just have to use an old ebay Polar Powermeter.
I took some pics and posted some info on the new Polar power meter at this year's Interbike show. Do a search on Interbike and Polar and you should find it around the end of September.

Thanks RD for the info. Maybe I'll go with the new Polar unit instead of the ergomo pro, then I can put Record skelton brakes and Zipp 404 clinchers on my CF Soloist without spending too much.

There might be a glut of used Polar PMs on ebay when the new one comes out! Too bad I already have 4 of them and don't need any more!

But the new system might still be a little inaccurate with far chain distances or they fixed that too? At least it doesn't just measure the left leg like the ergomo, and it gives you pedaling balance info.