General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

New Polder/Taylor Thermometer Probes

Started by Steve Wertz · · Last activity · 5 posts · 276 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
20 May 2007
Last activity
21 May 2007
Original author
Steve Wertz
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
276
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I ordered two replacement probes from Taylor Precision Products
    ($4/ea), makers of the thermometer units for Polder and Taylor.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see the new design of the probes.

    These now have a silicone-coated lead wire instead of the wire
    mesh. The new cord is very flexible and wraps easily, without
    kinking/crimping up, hopefully allowing them to last longer.

    The reason I had to replace the last two is the wires become
    broken/unstable inside the mesh housing of the old cords.

    The only drawback I see is that the wire is now thicker, and
    would make a larger gap in the oven door or lid of a smoker. I
    don't think that would be much a problem though.

    I don't know if these are optional, or are now standard with all
    new Taylor/Polder corded electronic thermometers, but I would
    certainly buy the silicon over the wire mesh if it's an option.

    -sw

  2. "Steve Wertz" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I ordered two replacement probes from Taylor Precision Products
    ($4/ea), makers of the thermometer units for Polder and Taylor.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see the new design of the probes.

    These now have a silicone-coated lead wire instead of the wire
    mesh. The new cord is very flexible and wraps easily, without
    kinking/crimping up, hopefully allowing them to last longer.

    The reason I had to replace the last two is the wires become
    broken/unstable inside the mesh housing of the old cords.

    The only drawback I see is that the wire is now thicker, and
    would make a larger gap in the oven door or lid of a smoker. I
    don't think that would be much a problem though.

    I don't know if these are optional, or are now standard with all
    new Taylor/Polder corded electronic thermometers, but I would
    certainly buy the silicon over the wire mesh if it's an option.

    -sw

    About a month ago, I had the same problem with a Taylor probe. Taylor
    advised that the unit I had was discontinued and replacement probes were
    unavailable. But, if I would return my unit they would replace it with a
    comparable model, free of charge (except for shipping the old unit to them).
    The new thermometer, while not as versatile as the old one, included the
    silicone lead wire, which like you stated seems to be a better product.
    It's only been used in the oven so far, but the oven door gasket seems to
    flex enough to accommodate the wire without causing a major heat loss.

    IMHO, Taylor's policy of replacing the thermometer speaks highly of their
    commitment to customer service; it was a smooth transaction. There may
    other reasons behind their decision, but I'll take the optimistic approach
    this time!

    The difference between the two thermometers is that the old one ranged up to
    400 deg. F., maybe higher and was useful for making candy, fudge, etc. by
    clipping the probe to the side of the pot. The new one only goes to 212.
    Oh well, good reason to pick up a new "toy"!

  3. Paco's Tacos said:

    IMHO, Taylor's policy of replacing the thermometer speaks highly of their
    commitment to customer service; it was a smooth transaction. There may
    other reasons behind their decision, but I'll take the optimistic approach
    this time!

    They offered to replace my probes for free if I sent them back.
    But only had one probe for 3 units (2 Taylors and 1 Polder) - I
    had pitched the other two probes over the last 7 years or so.

    Taylor is a good company. You can find most of their products at
    Target for 30-45% less than the same Polders.

    Quoted message said:

    The difference between the two thermometers is that the old one ranged up to
    400 deg. F., maybe higher and was useful for making candy, fudge, etc. by
    clipping the probe to the side of the pot. The new one only goes to 212.
    Oh well, good reason to pick up a new "toy"!

    Hmm. I still have the older 396F units with the new probes.
    I've used the new probes in 370F oil, so the limitation must be
    in the new base units only. That's too bad. I use it for candy
    and frying, too.

    I still have one wire mesh probe that I'll calibrate with
    silicone probes just to make sure they're close. I didn't think
    they might be different, but maybe they are.

    -sw

  4. Steve Wertz said:


    The only drawback I see is that the wire is now thicker, and
    would make a larger gap in the oven door or lid of a smoker. I
    don't think that would be much a problem though.


    Steve,

    Can't speak for the oven, but I took a small round file (chainsaw
    file) and filed a slot in my smoker for the Polder wire to fit in so
    that the lid doesn't compress it.

    Raymond

  5. raymond <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Steve Wertz said:


    The only drawback I see is that the wire is now thicker, and
    would make a larger gap in the oven door or lid of a smoker. I
    don't think that would be much a problem though.


    Steve,

    Can't speak for the oven, but I took a small round file (chainsaw
    file) and filed a slot in my smoker for the Polder wire to fit in so
    that the lid doesn't compress it.

    Raymond

    It is the wire that is prone to melting due to heat, which causes the
    probe to short out and fail. Avoid crimping the wire with the lid. Yeah I
    know the melting point is above 400F but why take changes. So use an
    existing opening for the probe ...say the rotissierrie opening, or make a
    slot of your own.

    --

    The house of the burning beet
    -Alan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.