New Pots & Pans

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Boron Elgar, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
    top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
    couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
    used a lot and had to be replaced.

    I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
    around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
    my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
    over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
    it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
    over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
    balked.

    So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
    for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
    year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
    older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
    part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.

    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10048379&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

    Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
    "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
    and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
    boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
    steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
    scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
    ask around here.

    Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    curious to know what others think.

    Boron

    Tags:

  2. "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    snip
    > Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
    > "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
    > and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
    > boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
    > steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
    > scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
    > ask around here.
    >
    > Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    > endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    > regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    > curious to know what others think.
    >
    > Boron

    Congratulations!!! You did deserve a new set of pots and pans. I think
    Consumer Reports just rated what you bought as an excellent value. The
    admonition about pitting is nothing new, just a fact of life, so don't worry
    about it. Have a lot of fun with the new stuff. (It makes you feel good to
    have something new in the kitchen.)
    Janet

  3. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Boron Elgar wrote:

    <snip>

    > Mine will go in the dishwasher
    > regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    > curious to know what others think.

    I would say "go for it". I have some SS pots and pans that the MIL gave
    me that are from 19-dot, and they are still going strong - after being
    much used and abused... If they are fairly good stainless steel, (and
    judging by what you have said, they seem to be) there is not much that
    will harm them.

    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  4. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:36:06 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >snip
    >> Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
    >> "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
    >> and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
    >> boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
    >> steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
    >> scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
    >> ask around here.
    >>
    >> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    >> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    >> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    >> curious to know what others think.
    >>
    >> Boron

    >Congratulations!!! You did deserve a new set of pots and pans. I think
    >Consumer Reports just rated what you bought as an excellent value. The
    >admonition about pitting is nothing new, just a fact of life, so don't worry
    >about it. Have a lot of fun with the new stuff. (It makes you feel good to
    >have something new in the kitchen.)
    >Janet

    Thanks, Janet...now, if there were only some way to get a new
    *kitchen" as easily, I'd be happy.

    Boron

  5. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Boron Elgar wrote:

    > Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    > endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    > regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    > curious to know what others think.

    Stainless steel should be dishwasher safe. I have stainless steel
    Lagostina pots (5) with lids. According to the specs, they are
    diswasher safe but I wash them by hand. Reasons - my pots are out where
    they can be seen so I want the full set there when not in use. I don't
    want spotting. I also have ss fry pan with heavy copper plate bottom,
    ss stock pots, and ss pressure cooker none of which go in the dishwasher.

    > Boron

  6. On Wed 15 Mar 2006 08:12:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
    Elgar?

    > My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
    > top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
    > couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
    > used a lot and had to be replaced.
    >
    > I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
    > around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
    > my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
    > over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
    > it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
    > over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
    > balked.
    >
    > So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
    > for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
    > year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
    > older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
    > part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.
    >
    > http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10048379&whse=&topnav=&b
    > rowse=&s=1
    >
    > Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
    > "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
    > and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
    > boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
    > steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
    > scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
    > ask around here.
    >
    > Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    > endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    > regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    > curious to know what others think.

    Congratulations, Boron! I've been eyeing that set every time I go to
    Costco, but I really don't need to replace any of mine yet, so I can't
    justify the purchase right now.

    My current set is similar in design except for the handles and I've had it
    for ~15 years. I have routinely washed it in the dishwasher ever since I
    bought it, and it has held up well. There is some very slight pitting in
    my 6.5 qt stockpot because I tend to put salt into the water for boiling
    pasta before the water is hot.

    http://tinyurl.com/r6dwa

    Enjoy your new cookware! You deserve it!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  7. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On 15 Mar 2006 17:12:47 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Wed 15 Mar 2006 08:12:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
    >Elgar?

    >> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    >> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    >> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    >> curious to know what others think.

    >Congratulations, Boron! I've been eyeing that set every time I go to
    >Costco, but I really don't need to replace any of mine yet, so I can't
    >justify the purchase right now.

    Thank you. IT sure does look pretty. Now I feel like I'm going to have
    to cook!

    >My current set is similar in design except for the handles and I've had it
    >for ~15 years. I have routinely washed it in the dishwasher ever since I
    >bought it, and it has held up well. There is some very slight pitting in
    >my 6.5 qt stockpot because I tend to put salt into the water for boiling
    >pasta before the water is hot.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/r6dwa

    Those are lovely. They have curved lines like the Costco ones. I like
    that.

    >Enjoy your new cookware! You deserve it!

    Aw, shucks. Thank you, sir.

    Boron

  8. Person

    Person Guest

    > Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    > endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    > regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    > curious to know what others think.
    >
    > Boron

    I think that's a pretty good set. Enjoy

    But while we're on the subject, I've never understood the science behind
    not putting pots in the dishwasher, unless handles or other attachments are
    the problem. Surly can't be the heat from the DW, as stove tops get much
    hotter then that, Strong detergent? possible scratching... i donno.

    Larry T.

  9. On Wed 15 Mar 2006 09:30:11a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
    Elgar?

    > On 15 Mar 2006 17:12:47 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
    > <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed 15 Mar 2006 08:12:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Boron
    >>Elgar?

    >>> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    >>> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    >>> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    >>> curious to know what others think.

    >>Congratulations, Boron! I've been eyeing that set every time I go to
    >>Costco, but I really don't need to replace any of mine yet, so I can't
    >>justify the purchase right now.

    > Thank you. IT sure does look pretty. Now I feel like I'm going to have
    > to cook!
    >>
    >>My current set is similar in design except for the handles and I've had
    >>it for ~15 years. I have routinely washed it in the dishwasher ever
    >>since I bought it, and it has held up well. There is some very slight
    >>pitting in my 6.5 qt stockpot because I tend to put salt into the water
    >>for boiling pasta before the water is hot.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/r6dwa

    > Those are lovely. They have curved lines like the Costco ones. I like
    > that.

    Thank you. It was the curved lines that attracted me to my set when I
    bought it, as well as to the Kirkland set. When you get used to using
    them, I bet you won't want to return to straight-sided pans. When
    stirring, things tend to stay in the pan better.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  10. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-15, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
    > for $199.

    I wouldn't worry about it. The Costco return policy is such that you
    can return them for any reason at all, forever. A neat trick I
    learned with my highly polish French SS cookware set, use oven cleaner
    to remove any cooked/burned on grunge you may get from spatter or
    boilover. Avoids scratching and dulling the polished exterior
    surfaces with abrasive pads/powders.

    nb

  11. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Boron Elgar wrote:
    > My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
    > top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
    > couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
    > used a lot and had to be replaced.
    >
    > I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
    > around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
    > my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
    > over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
    > it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
    > over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
    > balked.
    >
    > So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
    > for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
    > year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
    > older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
    > part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.
    >
    > http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10048379&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1
    >
    > Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
    > "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
    > and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
    > boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
    > steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
    > scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
    > ask around here.
    >
    > Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    > endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    > regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    > curious to know what others think.

    Why didn't you buy just the one pot you originally started out
    wanting... I don't love All-Crap, I think they're over priced, and
    multi-layer pot sides serve no purpose whatsoever, other than to
    rationalize high price... no one cooks on the sides of a pot.

    I don't have much faith in a set that gives so many pieces for so
    little money... and I don't like that the pots you chose have those
    bulged sides, pots with that configuration may be esthetically pleasing
    to some but they tend to warp more readily than most... won't be too
    very long and that bulge will transfer to the pot bottoms (cold formed
    metal is under major stress) and you'll be right back where you
    started, pots that rock on a flat top stove.

    I'd be wary of the admonitions regarding salt, dishwashers, and
    especially not to place them into an oven hotter than 500ºF.... that
    is really wierd for all stainless pots with stainless handles, tells me
    they know those pots are prone to warp.

    I suggest you bring them back to Costco and choose something more
    utilitarian... especially since you use a flat top stove and flat pot
    bottoms are important.

    I highly recommend this cookware, I have them myself:
    http://www.bakedeco.com/dept.asp?id=171

    Sheldon

  12. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:35:52 GMT, "Person" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    >> endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    >> regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    >> curious to know what others think.
    >>
    >> Boron

    >I think that's a pretty good set. Enjoy
    >
    > But while we're on the subject, I've never understood the science behind
    >not putting pots in the dishwasher, unless handles or other attachments are
    >the problem. Surly can't be the heat from the DW, as stove tops get much
    >hotter then that, Strong detergent? possible scratching... i donno.
    >
    >Larry T.

    I assumed scratching, but when I get going in a cooking frenzy, those
    pots and pans are going to get bonked and moved and plopped in the
    sink, etc...they have to stand up to a lot. I have never noticed any
    serious cosmetic damage to my pots and pans, some of which I have had
    for over 30 years.

    Behind my back the kids have, on occasion, put an aluminum pan or
    cookie sheet in the dishwasher & it gets grayed and dull, but an SOS
    scrubbing makes it sparkle again. Never had any problem with
    stainless, though.

    'Boron

  13. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Person wrote:

    >>Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    >>endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    >>regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    >>curious to know what others think.
    >>
    >>Boron

    > I think that's a pretty good set. Enjoy
    >
    > But while we're on the subject, I've never understood the science behind
    > not putting pots in the dishwasher, unless handles or other attachments are
    > the problem. Surly can't be the heat from the DW, as stove tops get much
    > hotter then that, Strong detergent? possible scratching... i donno.
    >
    > Larry T.

    I think it is the detergent coupled with spotting on the surface when
    dried in the dishwasher. I don't put mine in the dishwasher for reasons
    explained in another reply. IMO they would take up a lot of room in the
    dishwasher. I know my ss stock pots would never fit! Did you know that
    your kitchen knives not regular eating knives, should never go in the
    dishwasher as well because you can ruin the blade? Until I bought a
    nice set of kitchen knives, I did not know this. My new set in
    Cuisinart Stainless Steel Ultra edge with all in one ss handles meaning
    no seam from blade to handle. They are always washed by hand
    immediately after using.

  14. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    notbob wrote:

    > On 2006-03-15, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
    >>for $199.

    > I wouldn't worry about it. The Costco return policy is such that you
    > can return them for any reason at all, forever. A neat trick I
    > learned with my highly polish French SS cookware set, use oven cleaner
    > to remove any cooked/burned on grunge you may get from spatter or
    > boilover. Avoids scratching and dulling the polished exterior
    > surfaces with abrasive pads/powders.
    >
    > nb

    Does that really work without damaging the finish? My trick is to pour
    a generous amount of baking soda onto the bottom of the pot, cover with
    water, bring to a boil then let sit until cooled. The burnt food pops
    right off without a problem leaving no scratches. I haven't had a
    problem with the exteriors. Any little splatters come off without a
    problem with regular hand washing. I use Lagostina ss cleaner to keep
    the bottoms looking nice.

  15. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Boron Elgar wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:35:52 GMT, "Person" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>>Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    >>>endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    >>>regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    >>>curious to know what others think.
    >>>
    >>>Boron

    >>I think that's a pretty good set. Enjoy
    >>
    >>But while we're on the subject, I've never understood the science behind
    >>not putting pots in the dishwasher, unless handles or other attachments are
    >>the problem. Surly can't be the heat from the DW, as stove tops get much
    >>hotter then that, Strong detergent? possible scratching... i donno.
    >>
    >>Larry T.
    >>

    > I assumed scratching, but when I get going in a cooking frenzy, those
    > pots and pans are going to get bonked and moved and plopped in the
    > sink, etc...they have to stand up to a lot. I have never noticed any
    > serious cosmetic damage to my pots and pans, some of which I have had
    > for over 30 years.
    >
    > Behind my back the kids have, on occasion, put an aluminum pan or
    > cookie sheet in the dishwasher & it gets grayed and dull, but an SOS
    > scrubbing makes it sparkle again. Never had any problem with
    > stainless, though.
    >
    > 'Boron

    From experience, do not try to bleach aluminum cookie sheets! It turns
    a nasty dull grey that eventually comes off with wear but looks just
    horrible until it does.

    PS. Nice set of pots :)

  16. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:59:28 -0600, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 2006-03-15, Boron Elgar <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
    >> for $199.

    >I wouldn't worry about it. The Costco return policy is such that you
    >can return them for any reason at all, forever. A neat trick I
    >learned with my highly polish French SS cookware set, use oven cleaner
    >to remove any cooked/burned on grunge you may get from spatter or
    >boilover. Avoids scratching and dulling the polished exterior
    >surfaces with abrasive pads/powders.
    >
    >nb

    Their return policy is one of the reasons I buy as many of my
    household goods there as possible.

    I'll keep the oven cleaner in mind.

    I wonder if that Dawn crud remover spray would work, too. It is really
    great for the inside of a microwave (mine is SS inside) when something
    explodes.

    Boron

  17. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-15, ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Does that really work without damaging the finish? My trick is to pour
    > a generous amount of baking soda onto the bottom of the pot, cover with
    > water, bring to a boil then let sit until cooled.

    I'm talking about the shiny exterior finish that will be scratched or
    dulled by any real scrubbing. Screw the interior. Hell, I've burnt,
    scorched, discolored, and damn near melted my cookware multiple times.
    I don't give a damn what it looks like on the inside. But, the
    outside, which has a mirror bright finish, is the tricky part.

    Whenever I cook something with a splattter factor (burgers, bacon,
    etc), the grease splatters all over the stovetop and on the other
    electric burners. I can clean the enamel stovetop, but not so the
    grease on the burner coils. Usually, I heat up the coil alone and let
    the grease burn off before putting a pan on it, but sometimes I'm in a
    hurry and forget. When this happens, burning grease from the coil
    will leave burnt fat grunge on my nice shiny finish. At first, I used
    just soap and a soft sponge and a lot of rubbing to remove the
    grunge. Then, one day, I tried some oven cleaner on a small spot.
    Voila! Works perfect and does not damage the shiny finish, even with
    repeated applications. Wish I'd discovered it sooner.

    With a smooth induction top, you probably won't have this problem.

    WARNING: Do not use oven cleaner on any pan that has exposed aluminum!!

    nb

  18. Boron Elgar <[email protected]> writes:

    >Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    >endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    >regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    >curious to know what others think.

    My Calphalon pan said it would survive a dishwasher but it recommended
    hand washing, so I just hand wash it. I've always got 1 or 2 things
    that can't go in the dishwasher like wooden handled utensils or my grill
    pan so I just wash the pan when I wash the others.
    I don't have the set you do but I'd like to get some new ones. My
    nonstick pans are getting wobbly, although I don't know why.

    Stacia

  19. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My favorite 3.5 qt saucepan became increasingly wobbly on my smooth
    > top range. Why, I do not know, as all the obvious reasons/causes
    > couldn't have occurred, nevertheless, the pot was 13 years old and
    > used a lot and had to be replaced.
    >
    > I decided I wanted an All Clad pot, as I really did not want to play
    > around with a crappy pot (I have spent so little on pots and pans in
    > my life that I really "deserved" this treat.) and so I priced it all
    > over, including on eBay and was impressed with its cost. By the time
    > it was shipped or had tax locally, it was going to set me back *well*
    > over $100, more likely closer to $125 with serious shopping, and I
    > balked.
    >
    > So I went to Costco and saw their made in Italy, 5 ply stainless set
    > for $199. Did I need new pots and pans? No, but the kids are within a
    > year or three of (God willing, please...) their own apartments and my
    > older stuff will find a new home or two then. I bought the set with
    > part of my nifty Costco/AmEx rebate check.
    >
    > http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10048379&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1
    >
    > Ok...so I have this beautiful set now and no where does it say
    > "dishwasher safe." It does casually mention hand washing before use
    > and talks about being careful to add salt to a pot AFTER the water has
    > boiled so no pitting occurs. Weird, I'm thinking. I put any stainless
    > steel into the dishwasher and have never had a problem with anything
    > scratching or boiling with salt water and pitting, but I thought I'd
    > ask around here.
    >
    > Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    > endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    > regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    > curious to know what others think.
    >
    > Boron

    Hello, Boron. I just read your post and all the answers. I bought this set
    in July of last year. I've never put any of them in the dishwasher. I've
    never had a set of stainless pans that I've liked so well. Before I bought
    these, maybe 2 years previous, I bought a set of Kirkland "professional
    pans - non-stick - the black ones -- made in Hong Kong -- I believe they
    were $149 or $199. After using them a couple of years I decided I'd like
    some stainless steel for higher temperature cooking, and when I saw these at
    Costco I fell in love with them. They are absolutely wonderful.

    However, since someone was saying about Costco's return policy and it has
    always been perfect for me -- I am wondering about one of these pans, if it
    is a defect. Well -- I will say it IS a defect. I noticed in the last few
    months a dotted line (perhaps 4-6" now ?) around the middle of the smallest
    pan. This line is not raised, it is more (I don't know if this is the
    correct word to describe an indentation) 'bas relief' however minor. When
    I just now took another look at it, and reading your posting that you have
    new pans, and before your 30 days is up, I thought I'd let you know.

    I'm not quite sure what to say to Costco. I don't know whether they would
    tell me to contact the seller (isn't that Kirkland?) or they would replace
    this one, or the whole set -- I have no idea -- but it is of concern to me
    as I have a whole set of these pans that now I'm wondering, is all the
    covering going to drop off -- a bit of hyperbole. I don't know if this
    would show up in a photo, it might be hard to get a photo without flash --
    and I'd have to work on the macro/micro (whatever setting that is on my
    camera for closeups) to make sure it shows up. But I'd be willing to try if
    you want to see it.

    This isn't much help for you being so elated with your new pans -- I love
    mine so much, too. Everythings cooks so fast, fast in them; no dripping
    because of the tops (Wayne told me that). I fried chicken on top of the
    stove (Cooks Illustrated suggestions) 5 min on one side, 3 on another and
    then into the oven for 18 minutes at 450. Now this is a pan!

    I was at Costco earlier tonight and I walked by the pans and I was so glad I
    had bought them. But I'm glad I didn't put mine in the dishwasher because
    of this problem; at least I know that I didn't cause it.
    Dee Dee

  20. Anny Middon

    Anny Middon Guest

    "Boron Elgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Anyone else have the set? Do you put them in the dishwasher? Do you
    > endanger them with every pot of pasta? Mine will go in the dishwasher
    > regardless, as I really believe this set will outlive me, but I am
    > curious to know what others think.

    Have them. Love them. Dishwasher them all the time. Well, except for the
    stockpot and the large frying pan -- both of which are too big for my
    dishwasher.

    I got the pots a while back -- I think close to 2 years now. I haven't
    noticed anything happening to them due to dishwasher washing, but I have to
    admit it would have to be pretty big or somehow interfere with how well they
    cook for me to notice.

    They're tools. I don't expect them to look pretty, I expect them to
    function well. I don't care if there are tiny scratches on the outside.
    Not that I know if there are -- I've never really looked.

    Oh, I forgot -- I use that Dawn power spray stuff on them sometimes. But
    only when they need it, which is pretty seldom. My general approach to
    dirty pots is to stick them in the dishwasher. I don't even rinse them
    first, although I do of course scrape them if they need it. If they aren't
    clean after one go-around in the dishwasher (happens every now and then), I
    run them through again on the next load. In the unlikely event they're
    still not clean, I Dawn power-gunk them.

    Anny